Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2015, 04:59 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,346,967 times

Advertisements

I think you'll be FINE! I'm excited for you! Saving is a BIG necessity! You might start applying to USAJobs positions over there now and you might get one by 2017. If you need help with that, PM me. I'm currently going through my umpteenth hiring process (3rd in a row with no interview).

I was there a year with a pretty strong southern accent. The only thing you'll get is some playful teasing from coworkers who will say "Boo! Braddah! You talk funny!"

I loved my coworkers. I think you just have to win them over with your southern charm. Best wishes!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2015, 08:38 AM

5 posts, read 7,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
I think you'll be FINE! I'm excited for you! Saving is a BIG necessity! You might start applying to USAJobs positions over there now and you might get one by 2017. If you need help with that, PM me. I'm currently going through my umpteenth hiring process (3rd in a row with no interview).

I was there a year with a pretty strong southern accent. The only thing you'll get is some playful teasing from coworkers who will say "Boo! Braddah! You talk funny!"

I loved my coworkers. I think you just have to win them over with your southern charm. Best wishes!
Awesome! I've worked at a law firm for the last 3 1/2 years so I'll be looking for something in that area.
On the topic of my southern accent, I heard it was rude for me to call people sweetie, honey and darling, so I'll try to wipe it from my vocabulary haha!

Old 04-16-2015, 07:33 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,346,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetcarolinagirl View Post
Awesome! I've worked at a law firm for the last 3 1/2 years so I'll be looking for something in that area.
On the topic of my southern accent, I heard it was rude for me to call people sweetie, honey and darling, so I'll try to wipe it from my vocabulary haha!
I was a bit startled to hear my coworkers making stereotypical remarks about each other's heritage "He talks a lot - he's Portugee" and comments about another being stingy. :O But it's all playful and affectionate, if that makes sense. Very normal speaking.
Generally everything is so laid back. Best get into that mindset as soon as possible and you'll fit right in when you get there.

I went to USAJobs and put in Oahu and Legal and a lot of jobs came up. Here's one:
https://www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/399358700

Old 04-18-2015, 11:02 AM

48,563 posts, read 34,941,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
I was a bit startled to hear my coworkers making stereotypical remarks about each other's heritage "He talks a lot - he's Portugee" and comments about another being stingy. :O But it's all playful and affectionate, if that makes sense. Very normal speaking.
Generally everything is so laid back. Best get into that mindset as soon as possible and you'll fit right in when you get there.

This x1000. You wanna crash course then listen to Frank Delima or Augie T.... any local comedienne 90% is race related, but everyone is cool with it. I once made a comment that I felt left out because I'm Mexican, and someone quipped back that they just figured I dealt heroin on the side.

I've always felt humor was why the majority of our race relations are pretty good.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 04-18-2015, 12:51 PM

6,657 posts, read 7,765,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
This x1000. You wanna crash course then listen to Frank Delima or Augie T.... any local comedienne 90% is race related, but everyone is cool with it. I once made a comment that I felt left out because I'm Mexican, and someone quipped back that they just figured I dealt heroin on the side.

I've always felt humor was why the majority of our race relations are pretty good.
I know another glorious blessing of living in Hawaii, i agree. Where some other areas in the worls they would lynch us lol.

Just cant find a better version of dis song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kS2YLvGGtwY

Old 04-18-2015, 03:48 PM

29 posts, read 35,462 times
Quote:
I had the pleasure of living and working on Oahu for 2.5 glorious years, and no one ever made a comment about my calling them, "sweetie, honey or darlin'" I was always very polite, open to friendly criticisms and accepting of others beliefs and traditions. I think as long as you have an open-mind and don't complain about all the ways Hawaii isn't NC/SC, you'll be fine. Learn the cultures (as a huge tourist destination, you'll see plenty of it!) enjoy the food, try everything once and don't compare the two, and you'll be fine.

It never ceased to amaze me all of our friends who would complain about being bored, unhappy, etc to be locked on an island. Yes travel off the island can be expensive, but just exploring all the islands is inexpensive and there's always something new to see/do/explore.

Good luck, I'm super jealous!

Old 04-19-2015, 05:58 PM

1,893 posts, read 2,538,371 times
IMO finances would be your biggest concern, not really culture or anything to do with the people. The distance also might be too much for you to handle. There's a reason why more people move out of Hawaii to other states every year than vice versa. So you want to be where "you're treated how you treat others"? Does that not happen where you live? It's generally happened everywhere I've lived, not only Hawaii. It's good you have a plan to save, you'll probably need your savings. As for which island, like others here I recommend you visit Hawaii and try to live like a local as much as possible. Hawaii isn't for everyone, you need to actually visit before committing to a move. And one other thing, don't try to talk pidgin. You can try to understand it but don't try to "learn" pidgin english if you haven't grown up here. It can make you look condescending or really stupid. Just be yourself, most people are accepting. And it's not like Hawaii is a foreign country. Those that say that probably have only been to Canada or someplace similar.

Old 04-19-2015, 09:27 PM

181 posts, read 274,426 times
Quote:
I'm not so much worried about my race as just living there, but thanks for the link! Well probably be helpful.
To a lot (most?) locals, your skin color only suggests that you're not local. They won't care beyond that, so you will truly be equal to haoles.

Like people pretty much anywhere, outsiders are, at best, tolerated by locals. Once you get to be known, you will be able to shake the "outsider" label if you try.

HOWEVER, you would be a lot better off to save up some money, then spend a month or two living in Hawai'i. Get to know the place. You may decide (as many do) that it's a wonderful place to visit, but not the right place to live. It's better to find that out before you give up your old life.

If you have a decent job on the mainland, you can work at it then spend your vacations in the Islands.

Old 04-25-2015, 01:43 PM

246 posts, read 650,787 times
Quote:
Any woman call me sweetie, honey and/or darling would make me .

Old 04-27-2015, 09:09 AM

1,209 posts, read 2,623,618 times
As a semi-southern boy (from SE Virginia) that has lived out West and in the Northeast... and also spent the better part of my 20's in Honolulu, I would say that being from the South is helpful more than hurtful in acclimating to the lifestyle in Hawaii. The cultural focus on food, family, the outdoors, conversation, respect, and personal relationships is much more in line with a "Southern Style" way of doing things than the prevailing culture in a lot of fast-paced cities up north. Even the local pidgen accent has a slower pace and country feel that reminds me of a southern drawl more than any NY or Boston way of talking.

Being a racial minority already you should already know how to "code switch" when you have to and adjust easily to the Asian majority in Honolulu and I don't know anyone who would think that calling someone "sugar" or "sweetheart" is anything but endearing (unless you **** off someones girlfriend haha). I've seen a lot of black guys get into beefs with the local Polynesians, but I think that is more about young males drunk at bars fighting over women or perceived disrespect... I've never seen black women (the few that are around) have any issues out there. Just make sure you can pay your bills, I was just in Columbia (on my way to Atlanta) and you are gonna be in for some sticker shock when you arrive...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
View detailed profiles of: