Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2015, 06:13 PM

2,551 posts, read 2,900,153 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetcarolinagirl View Post
Hey everybody!

So I'm a 23 year old black chick from Columbia, South Carolina and I'm planning to move to Hawaii in October of 2017. After I graduate in August I plan on saving aggressively. My first visit is planned for this October to get a feel for it.
My reason for wanting to move is just for overall happiness. I just want to be in a place where you're treated how you treat others. My type b southern personality makes me a very chill person but I also do what I need to make it. I have a passion for service and experiencing culture and
I'm very low maintenance. All I really need is God, sweet tea and ESPN so I can watch some SEC football.

My reason for posting is just for any and all advice y'all would be willing to give me. Will my accent get me picked on? Will my Steelers/ Gamecock car flags be a distraction? But anyway, any and all advice from which island is the best (in your opinion) or the best place to be social Thanks!!!

I am from Atlanta.... I have been on Oahu for a year and half and I am a black male. You will be fine... especially if you went to USC (you did not say that specifically but I just assume). Yes you will be a major minority here. But being a minority already that should not be a big deal for you... And since there are plenty military here you will not feel like a leper. I have not had any issues on the island with locals because I'm black and I am around them constantly.

I went to school in South Carolina and I have family who originated in the state. The metro is a lot different than Hawaii but anywhere outside of the south will be different so I would not expect you to have an issue. You also sound educated and reasonable enough to assimilate well.

The lack of family may be the only hurdle you cannot overcome. But that's the beauty of doing this while you are young... you can always move back to the mainland later on and not miss a beat. It's worth the experience... I fell in love with Hawaii on my first visit right out of college and finally moved recently. I wish I could have moved when I was your age but I had other obligations. So definitely go for it... Hope you love it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2015, 10:06 AM

5 posts, read 7,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UHgrad View Post
As a semi-southern boy (from SE Virginia) that has lived out West and in the Northeast... and also spent the better part of my 20's in Honolulu, I would say that being from the South is helpful more than hurtful in acclimating to the lifestyle in Hawaii. The cultural focus on food, family, the outdoors, conversation, respect, and personal relationships is much more in line with a "Southern Style" way of doing things than the prevailing culture in a lot of fast-paced cities up north. Even the local pidgen accent has a slower pace and country feel that reminds me of a southern drawl more than any NY or Boston way of talking.

Being a racial minority already you should already know how to "code switch" when you have to and adjust easily to the Asian majority in Honolulu and I don't know anyone who would think that calling someone "sugar" or "sweetheart" is anything but endearing (unless you **** off someones girlfriend haha). I've seen a lot of black guys get into beefs with the local Polynesians, but I think that is more about young males drunk at bars fighting over women or perceived disrespect... I've never seen black women (the few that are around) have any issues out there. Just make sure you can pay your bills, I was just in Columbia (on my way to Atlanta) and you are gonna be in for some sticker shock when you arrive...
I've been thinking that the mainstays of southern US and Hawaii are similar as you've stated. Going to School and working where I work makes "code switching" my speciality. I'm not looking to take anyone's man so hopefully my terms of endearment won't meet angry ears . And yes Columbia is pretty cheap so I'm eager to visit HI and see just how bad sticker shock will be, maybe my frugal ways will come in handy.

Old 04-30-2015, 05:50 AM

1,209 posts, read 2,623,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetcarolinagirl View Post
I've been thinking that the mainstays of southern US and Hawaii are similar as you've stated. Going to School and working where I work makes "code switching" my speciality. I'm not looking to take anyone's man so hopefully my terms of endearment won't meet angry ears . And yes Columbia is pretty cheap so I'm eager to visit HI and see just how bad sticker shock will be, maybe my frugal ways will come in handy.
Paying bills is the hardest part, once you get that squared away you are 90% home free. Culturally it is different but folks are generally friendly and used to outsiders as long as you are friendly first. I made most of my local friends through work or surfing... there are also tons of transplants doing just what you are doing so meeting people is as easy as joining a club or group with similar situations.

Hardest parts for me were the lack of good Southern food and being so far from family and friends... otherwise the adjustment was pretty easy once I got a job and a place. No Carolina BBQ, mediocre fried chicken (Zippys??), no good cornbread, no sweet tea (at restaurants), no collards, no candy yams, no sweet potato pie, mac' and cheese just wasn't as creamy. haha. There was a place called Dixie Grill that tried but it just wasn't the same... Maybe it has improved since we moved... we still visit family on Oahu every year for a couple weeks but don't get out like we used to.

The tradeoff is that there is a lot of good and unique food out there to make up for it, and missing your personal comfort food makes visiting home that much more exciting because you can't wait to eat some of your old favorites.

One of the things I loved, and you might too being a sports fan, is that football is on early out there... you wake up Saturday or Sunday morning and there are games on at 7am. Then they are done by 7pm and you can get to sleep at a decent hour. East coast kind of sucks for that we get everything on late and I'm not staying up till midnight on a workday. haha

Last edited by UHgrad; 04-30-2015 at 06:00 AM..

Old 04-30-2015, 12:34 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,068,351 times
A recipe box full of your favorite recipes might help the transition. Although, check to make sure the recipes start from scratch and don't use some brand of mayo or BBQ sauce or some such that isn't available here. Island folks going to the mainland always get care packages sent full of li hing mui, their favorite rice or other such things, so I'm sure care packages can go the other way, too. You may have to have your family ship some of your favorite brands of edibles to you.

Old 08-17-2015, 06:22 AM

8 posts, read 10,437 times
Hello SweetCarolinaGirl
Not sure if you are still reading your thread as its over 5 months ago however thought id say thank you for posting. And a thank you to the responders – ive learned some neat information.

Just thought id touch upon something you said about moving for “overall happiness.” Took me a while to figure this out however happiness comes from within. That is a powerful tool to help you enjoy wherever you are. Not something I always remember ha but overall, I do make it a goal. I hope that helps!

Overall, I think you will have a great experience in Hawaii as you have the right attitude, positive outlook and friendly demeanor. Do visit as you plan to soon though as reality is often different than the “paradise” we dream of with regards to Hawaii. However, it could also be far more spectacular than any dream!

As for the distance, living in New Zealand for the past year has taught me the meaning of distance! I’m from the east coast as well and talk about a long flight(s)! use ITAMatrix website (now owned by Google) for researching flights. Cant book there but it usually accurately identifies fares from major airlines within USA.

About costs. There are many comments about costs for good reason. However, please don’t let it prevent you from taking that chance. Even if you do decide to move back to mainland, you will always know that you followed your heart/dreams/goals to come to Hawaii.

Have fun!

Old 08-17-2015, 01:52 PM

95 posts, read 296,598 times
Just saw your post. I've lived in Anderson,SC as a child and N. Augusta. Have roots in Charleston - Summerville area also. I'm from the South, graduated high school out of Montgomery, AL, went to Auburn U. for a while and am also Black. I have lived here since 1986 so I honestly say that being from the South is NOT a problem if you are considering a move to Hawaii. I came here with the Navy and got out in 1990 and decided to stay here. The best advise I can give you is to come with an open mind, respect the host culture and learn as much as you can about the island's history, and current events. Thay way, you will know why a Hawaiian feels this way or a "local" feels that way about a certain issue. Also note that in Hawaii, just because you live here does not make you "Hawaiian". Hawaiian is a race of people, "locals" are those born and raised here of any race. Do not come with a "superior" attitude that you are better than anyone else. Being Black from the South, you should be able to relate on how that feels. You will find that you can make friends if you are honest and laid back. Simple manners that we learned in the South will go a long way here to win people over. A smile, a thank you, works wonders. Over my 29 years of living here, I've seen way too many folks come over with a chip on thier shoulder on how thier hometown is better than Honolulu etc. etc. etc. They usually have the hardest time adjusting. Your youth is on your side as younger generations here don't have the stereotypical baggage older folks have. There is a small Black community on Oahu usually centered around military bases but I also have Black friends born and raised here that have nothing to do with the military. We are here and we are a small segment of the population. Good luck on your move.....

Old 08-18-2015, 06:35 PM

9 posts, read 21,074 times
Not to worry Kuuipo (sweetheart)

You'll do fine as you have youth on your side.
Just use common sense and be aware of your surroundings...not that it's a dangerous place to live, but every place has it's dark side.

The biggest hurdle as mentioned will be $$$$!
Like they say in Hawaii...if can, can. If no can, no can!

I was born and raised in Hawaii, and have never lived anywhere else...until this past May, I now live in Texas and I'm loving it!
I can actually purchase something on line where the shipping isn't as much as the product.

The Hawaii I grew up in is nothing like it is today, traffic is horrendous on the weekdays and even worse on the weekends. The beaches are crowded and everything is expensive...I can't believe the gas prices here in Texas compared to Hawaii.

The one major down side of living in the middle of the Pacific is the life line to the mainland for food and consumer products are the cargo ships. Oh you could say airplanes as well, but that would be big $$$$$$$.
If there's a strike on the docks, you best have a lot of supplies (i.e. food, toilet paper, all essentials) prices may also get marked up during times like this.
It has happened before, but did not last too long...a hurricane could also cause the same problem, but these don't happen very often either...the last one was in 1992 however, that doesn't mean there won't be any soon as they can happen at any time.

Oh, don't plan on bring a pet to Hawaii, it'll cost you a lot of $$$$$ and your pet a lot of Stress...it is ridiculous.

The food is great....here in Texas it's all about the BBQ, in Hawaii it's all about the food period!
If my wife wasn't such a great cook, I would be missing some of the local foods, but we are able to improvise here.

I say go for it and be wise...you mentioned God, there are some great churches there as well as some bad ones, so pray on it first and let God direct your steps.

You go Gurl!

Aloha!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
View detailed profiles of: