Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2015, 02:46 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,943,614 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pj737 View Post

I'd say 45-50 minutes is the realistic average rush hour commuting time for those going into downtown Honolulu in the morning rush and back to downtown Kailua in the afternoon rush.
Considering I actually commute it everyday, I'll have to disagree. Commuting from Kailua to downtown isn't comparable to commuting from Kapolei to downtown which your figures suggest.

Left Kailua at 745am this morning - hit downtown at 815am, which is typical.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2015, 11:19 AM

1,585 posts, read 2,113,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
Considering I actually commute it everyday, I'll have to disagree. Commuting from Kailua to downtown isn't comparable to commuting from Kapolei to downtown which your figures suggest.

Left Kailua at 745am this morning - hit downtown at 815am, which is typical.
You have an opinion... but I hope you realize that if you tell anyone that lives in Kailua the morning and afternoon rush hour only adds 10 minutes compared to a traffic-free 2 a.m. commute, they'll think you're a wee bit loony?

During rush hour it takes (as an average) considerably longer to get from Kapolei to downtown than 45 minutes. Still, the commute between Kailua and downtown is long and time-consuming.

The expansion of higher density multi-family/condo housing (in favor of SFHs) and development of remaining vacant parcels of land in Waimanalo, Kailua and Kaneohe will increase commute times over the coming years. With the exception of DOD opportunities, there are very few (decent paying) jobs in Windward Oahu; traffic will only get worse over time.

Old 06-12-2015, 11:53 PM

4 posts, read 4,198 times
Do you like rain?

The Windward side is beautiful and green but tends to rain more often then anywhere else because of the tradewinds.
The Leeward side is just the opposite where its hot and dry, and a lot more traffic.more so the farther you go. There are inbetweens like Mililani which is a higher elevation and price but you should be able to afford it. There is also places as Waipio, Waikele. Higher priced places would be like Hawaii Kai, Waialae Iki, Kahala, Diamond Head.

But if the rain isn't a problem, then there are several ways as the other poster had mentioned. Pali, LikeLike, H3 and for the most part traffic wouldn't be nearly as bad as the Leeward and Ewa areas.

Old 06-17-2015, 01:26 AM

43 posts, read 62,862 times
We live in kailua and love the windward side. I work at home but my husband commutes to airport mon-fri and has no traffic issues. At least on this side you are not limited to only one hwy to commute on.

Old 06-21-2015, 04:35 PM

181 posts, read 274,483 times
God lives on the Windward.

That's why He put the Ko'olau between there and the Stinky Side.

Seriously, the Leeward is pretty much like Santa Monica with more tourists.

Commuting? Check and see if The Bus is an option for you. It's worth getting started half an hour earlier if you can relax on the way and let someone else dodge the tourists.

Old 08-24-2015, 03:29 PM

2 posts, read 2,658 times
My quick and dirty on commute times from Kaneohe(which happen to be comparable to Kailua because you have to go a similar distance from Castle Junction, foot of the Pali Highway) is: 30 minutes with non-rush hour traffic and 45 minutes safely to anywhere downtown with rush hour traffic. The trump card is if you are going to the airport- then you really should consider iiving in Kaneohe near H3/Likelike Hwy. It is 25-30 minutes to the airport/Hickam/Pearl Harbor area reliably any time of day, accident or no accident. Hands down the best commute on Oahu (unless you work at home.) And the beautiful drive reminds you every day why you "Lucky you live Hawaii"! My wife and I have made this commute the last 10 years and its always been good.

Old 08-25-2015, 01:27 PM

21 posts, read 45,975 times
As an enthusiastic resident of the leeward coast, given your budget and penchant for avoiding traffic, I'd (feeling like a traitor here) suggest windward all the way! Generally speaking balancing the quality of life issue of less traffic and a beautiful residential setting, with your budget I believe it can all be done on the windward side.
Now, just as an aside, you may want to check out Mauna 'Olu Estates in Makaha Valley. The bang for the buck is pretty unbelievable. (No, I don't live there or have any financial attachment to the development.) For one thing people sometimes don't stop to consider is the amount of rainfall on the windward side. Many folks are just fine with the generous amount of precipitation, but others, not so much. Hope this helps?

Old 08-30-2015, 01:43 PM

451 posts, read 413,445 times
I know this thread is now pretty dated, and the OP has likely found their new abode, however
there are some very nice homes on Tantalus as well as in Manoa Valley. The commute to and
from downtown is much shorter compared to living in the 'burbs'.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu