Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2015, 03:19 AM

1,776 posts, read 1,871,284 times

Advertisements

We.....are......all.....gonna......die....!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2015, 02:30 PM

1,584 posts, read 2,107,191 times
People here need to call you out on your "facts" a little bit more often.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
Brown water just isn't sewage - statewide due to the heavy rains, essentially all that water that falls on the mountains has to get down to the ocean at some point - and given Hawaii uses the most pesticides in the US, the water coming down the mountains temporarily gets contaminated.
Operative word here is "Hawaii". That means the state has the highest use of pesticides. Can't really mess that interpretation up, right?

Quote:
No?

Exceptional Volume of Pesticides Used by Chemical Companies in Hawaii | Andrea Brower

Per-acre usage of chlorpyrifos and permethrin by the chemical+GMO industry on Kauai was top in the nation by a significant amount

Top in the nation usually - at least for me, means - highest/most.
You conveniently failed to post the next sentence in the article -

The analysis also projected that Kauai ranks second nationally for methomyl, fifth for metolachlor, sixth for alachlor, ninth for paraquat and 23rd for atrazine

So wait... does that mean we are second in the nation? Or fifth? Or sixth? Or 23rd?

You conveniently cherry pick TWO CHEMICALS out of literally thousands used worldwide. And of the two chemicals cited, permethrin, is commonly used and is considered relatively non-toxic to humans. They use it in everything from mosquito repellent to flea collars to topical skin treatments.

And these two chemicals are heavily used ONLY in a SMALL geographic area on a SINGLE island that is only home to 4% of the state's entire population.

Does stating HAWAII uses the most pesticides IN THE ENTIRE COUNTRY sound a bit ridiculous if your reasoning to making that statement is cherry picking only TWO chemicals out of thousands (one of which is mostly benign to humans) from a tiny geographic area on a small island with a tiny population relative to the state?

The answer should be a resounding "yes" your statement is entirely ridiculous and patently false... but I bet you will still try to argue it.

Old 08-28-2015, 02:33 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,894,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pj737 View Post
The answer should be a resounding "yes" your statement is entirely ridiculous and patently false...
I've provided 3 articles - if someone else, since you won't provide it - will show a state that uses more pesticides, go for it.

Old 08-28-2015, 02:46 PM

1,584 posts, read 2,107,191 times
Quote:
I've provided 3 articles - if someone else, since you won't provide it - will show a state that uses more pesticides, go for it.
I think it's funny that you're patting yourself on the back for posting links to articles that don't even support your statement.

Again, not a single one of the three articles you posted state any factual information even remotely leaning towards the "fact" that Hawaii uses more pesticides than any other state (whether that be based on volume used, volume used relative to crop yield, or per capita).

I think you just post links to verbose articles hoping nobody actually reads them and calls you out.

Old 08-28-2015, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pj737 View Post
I think you just post links to verbose articles hoping nobody actually reads them and calls you out.
Your data would be located?????

Old 08-28-2015, 04:45 PM

430 posts, read 639,384 times
Regardless of how much pesticide we use, the beaches aren't closed because of pesticide. They are closed because of brown water and sewage. The reason brown water is bad is because the sediment washed down from the mountains contains a lot of cat and pig excrement. There is no one running around with plastic bags picking up after those feral cats and hogs.

Old 08-28-2015, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejackalope View Post
The reason brown water is bad is because the sediment washed down from the mountains contains a lot of cat and pig excrement. There is no one running around with plastic bags picking up after those feral cats and hogs.
Can you cite that? (Putting on my Pj hat)

Old 08-28-2015, 06:13 PM

430 posts, read 639,384 times
Quote:
Can you cite that? (Putting on my Pj hat)
http://www.ctahr.hawaii.edu/brulandg...20Proposal.doc

Cat Disease Threatens Endangered Monk Seals - Scientific American

That's as good as we can get. If you try to study the environmental impact of feral cats, the cat nuts will freak out

Last edited by thejackalope; 08-28-2015 at 06:22 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu