Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2016, 01:37 AM

12 posts, read 61,540 times

Advertisements

Aloha Everyone!!

I work for myself via the internet and am moving in early December with my two dogs. I've already decided to ship my car and stuff and all is well with that. My question is............are there BAD areas (i.e. you would NOT be safe in) on Oahu?? If so, where?? Are there areas that are more OR less dog friendly if I do rent??

I only have four days once I land to technically find a place and really don't want to even look in 'bad' areas. My son is 23 and lives in CA now so no consideration of children OR future children.

I'm not in the military (and don't want to pay their $3500 stipend monthly either) and can live ANYWHERE on the island that is the most economical with a good internet connection!! lolol I only HAVE to have two bedrooms although I DO want a garage (2 car if possible) for storing stuff and my car. I could go 3 bedrooms as well.

One more question I was originally thinking Ewa Beach area and heard some bad things (like it being compared to Oakland). Then heard about Kailua as a good place that you can still get reasonable rentals/houses for sale, but it rains TWICE as much. I'm coming from Las Vegas and although I like rain I need to know how MUCH it rains on the east side of the island (and the west for that matter! ). Are we talking hours a day or minutes or???? Does it rain and then clear up or is it cloudy for hours too?? (like Seattle?)

OK one more thing, lol is it TOTALLY unrealistic to get a fixer upper?? I mean how much more are we talking for home repair/improvement supplies?? 1 x, 2x, 3x the mainland?? I have an extra cube on order that's only costing me an additional $1500 to ship with my first two. Should I load it with home repair supplies and pray??? LOLOL

ANY and ALL help with be greatly APPRECIATED!!! Oh and bear and mind that the more POSITIVE the feedback the better, LOLOL I want to hear ALL truth but a positive spin always help swallow things a bit more. And one needs a POSITIVE attitude while doing this alone AND God willing quickly!!

Thanks so much!! MMMMMWWWWWAAAAAHHHHH!!! xoxo

BIG HUGE Energetic Hugs Coming Your Way,

Shelby Collinge
Thought Healer
Shelby Collinge - Thought and Problem Solving Expert
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2016, 03:07 AM

Location: not sure, but there's a hell of a lot of water around here!
2,682 posts, read 7,573,335 times
I think the search feature might come in handy here... LOL. Just try and steer clear of any areas more prone towards cannibals.

I need a nap now

Old 05-06-2016, 06:39 AM

2,054 posts, read 3,342,798 times
Well, since your advertised forte is Problem Solving.........just a Thought.

You might fit in better in Puna.

Old 05-06-2016, 06:48 AM

7,275 posts, read 5,285,135 times
My daughter lived on Ala Wai Blvd blocks away from Honolulu and in Kailua, both decent places IMO. She also rented on the outskirts of Chinatown where her place was OK but Chinatown sketchy. Past the airport up 93 is more of the locals side, and I never got great vibes from that side of the island.

Old 05-06-2016, 10:05 AM

48,531 posts, read 34,851,331 times
Dogs are a problem, what is your budget?

Bad areas:

Lower Kalihi
Waipahu especially the Pupu Streets
Old Ewa
Waianae (Haven't been out there forevah so..
Popokulea (that's not spelled right)

The HPD has a crime map online. A quick search will turn that up.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 05-06-2016, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Dogs are a problem, what is your budget?

Bad areas:

Lower Kalihi
Waipahu especially the Pupu Streets
Old Ewa
Waianae (Haven't been out there forevah so..
Popokulea (that's not spelled right)

The HPD has a crime map online. A quick search will turn that up.

THANK YOU!!!! I appreciate your response!! : D Ideal budget is about $2500 a month. I also would LOVE a backyard that's fenced for the dogs. So does that mean that new Ewa is OK?? Once I go above $2500 a month, buying SCREAMS at me. With my 2 dogs (which are only 50 pounders ) buying also screams at me. I just don't know that I should buy before I live there. But don't want to watch the prices go up monthly either. If you were a newbie to Hawaii and DID want to buy, where would you recommend for a 2-3 bedroom house in a decent area??

Can you give me an idea of daily rainfall as well? Does it differ dramatically one on the east side of the island from the west side. That will determine where I live as well......

THANK YOU!!

MMMMMWWWWWAAAAHHHHH!!!! ;-D xoxo

Old 05-06-2016, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalmancpa View Post
My daughter lived on Ala Wai Blvd blocks away from Honolulu and in Kailua, both decent places IMO. She also rented on the outskirts of Chinatown where her place was OK but Chinatown sketchy. Past the airport up 93 is more of the locals side, and I never got great vibes from that side of the island.

THANK YOU!!! I'll check those areas out. I APPRECIATE you replying!!!

Old 05-06-2016, 10:45 AM

For the most part no one is going to allow the dogs.

You cannot find rent for $2500 in the new Ewa side (I just did a quick search), mainly because the properties are larger than a 2 bedroom.

It hardly ever rains here, but rocks the solar.

Old 05-06-2016, 10:46 AM

I wouldn't do China Town. Last time I was there (right before du vin closed) it was disgusting... homeless lying on the sidewalk, penis out peeing.

Old 05-06-2016, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
I wouldn't do China Town. Last time I was there (right before du vin closed) it was disgusting... homeless lying on the sidewalk, penis out peeing.

How unfortunate, LOLOLOL OK so where would you buy if you were me??? Can you give me your top three towns...... I SO appreciate your commenting. You're heaven sent!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu