Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2016, 12:50 AM

1,585 posts, read 2,114,083 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
You missed the point entirely again. The point is people moving here arent impacting home prices all that much
Not missing any points. The fact that you can convince yourself that outside money is not impacting home prices "all that much" shows how ridiculously out of touch you are with reality.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2016, 12:51 AM

788 posts, read 514,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 808 Vibes View Post
Lol, i read what you said about racial purity to that member who you thought was Hawaiian. Shame on you, those people are just trying to save 10% of what they had. You sir are either very narrow minded or your a white nationalist hiding behind the american flag? You continue to support a system that isn't democratic or american and is the biggest form of racial purity there is. But of course we cant point out that the one percent in wealth is about 91 percent white or whites have 12 times the wealth of blacks, 10 times that of Hispanics. So please sir explain to everyone how in a democracy that happened? Oh wait i forgot all you guys were born with a little extra from god right? Oh wait, you just are more hardworking as a race? Yeah thats got to be it. So please keep your form of America to the old south ok.
Your projection is transparent. You're infatuation with race is sad, but please, stop painting others with it, for it is yours and yours alone.

The answer to your questions is competition. Some win, some lose. Laid-back people, well, they usually lose. People perennially operating on "Hawaii Time", well heard of "snooze you lose". Uneducated people, well, not often found in the Winner's Circle.

Hawaii joined one of, if not the most competitive countries on earth. Did they expect that characteristic to stay only on the mainland. Not to come to the islands and compete there? Well, surprise, they are there....to stay..and they are winning. But even given that, the state is better off, far better off, because of it.

BTW, I find much of the old south sad, and not at all to my liking. I'm a Westerner.

I have no shame on me. I am not responsible for the malaise that is killing off the culture you hold so dear. I merely observe and offer opinions - nothing more - so keep your insults to yourself.

Naivete is not my strong suit, you fool nobody, not a single one of you.

Old 07-10-2016, 12:54 AM

12,120 posts, read 17,945,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pj737 View Post
Not missing any points. The fact that you can convince yourself that outside money is not impacting home prices "all that much" shows how ridiculously out of touch you are with reality.
So - if "outside money" was such an influential thing what if there was no "outside money".

What would the price be? Would the population double?

Old 07-10-2016, 03:01 AM

4 posts, read 2,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
So - if "outside money" was such an influential thing what if there was no "outside money".

What would the price be? Would the population double?
It's like watching the hamster on the hamster wheel. Propulser pay attention ok.

Transplant: Man Oahu is packed with people and the homeless is bad.

Local: Stop making it desirable for outsiders to come. Stop building outside tourism areas and they will quit coming.

Transplant: We need to raise the speed limit and build light rail because traffic is so bad.

Local: Stop building comfort things outside of tourism areas and people will quit coming.

Transplant: We need to build a ton of Housing to solve the problems.

Local: No just quit building the things people are used to on the mainland and people will quit moving here and there will be plenty of Housing.

Transplant: But but then the state would go bankrupt, what about all the people who invested and bought houses shouldn't they make a million selling them?

Local: Again the solution is quit making it desirable for others to move here. Profit has nothing to do with it. The state and the tourist trade could make double record breaking profits and the issues will still get worse.

Transplant: But but but That's unamerican! Lol

Local: the longer you wait the Harder it will get especially if local people get addicted to mainland stuff.

Transplant #2 from California. Man I wish we had a trader Joe's here in hawai'i. Oh I wish they had a California kitchen too. Hey dang it they don't have Wal-Mart. Man this place sucks. I don't feel comfortable, dang this local dude keeps speaking gibberish(pidgin). WTH this crazy Hawaiian guy keep giving me stinkneye.Dang I want to go home!

It worked for decades before why not again?

Old 07-10-2016, 03:19 AM

4 posts, read 2,601 times
@Propulser

[The answer to your questions is competition. Some win, some lose. Laid-back people, well, they usually lose. People perennially operating on "Hawaii Time", well heard of "snooze you lose". Uneducated people, well, not often found in the Winner's Circle]

Hey just for educational purposes and to make a point.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1n1hEs9pfI
This is the true Hawaiian Culture

The laid back aloha culture was created after the warrior class wasnt needed anymore. Also this happened around the time when missionaries came to Hawai'i and converted "those unsophisticated savages" to the one true god christiananity. Hmmm

Old 07-10-2016, 10:07 AM

48,574 posts, read 34,956,927 times
Dude, YOU are not local. Your just some guy who lived here for awhile as a kid.

I can tell you are not local because you do not have the same views as most of the people who live here.

You may have some of the same views as some of the extreme fringe elements here.

Most middle class locals would think your poi has soured.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 07-10-2016, 10:14 AM

Quote:
@Propulser

[The answer to your questions is competition. Some win, some lose. Laid-back people, well, they usually lose. People perennially operating on "Hawaii Time", well heard of "snooze you lose". Uneducated people, well, not often found in the Winner's Circle]

Hey just for educational purposes and to make a point.

This is the true Hawaiian Culture

The laid back aloha culture was created after the warrior class wasnt needed anymore. Also this happened around the time when missionaries came to Hawai'i and converted "those unsophisticated savages" to the one true god christiananity. Hmmm
OMG, you are stuck hopelessly in the past, and you never seem to learn the lessons it has to offer. Instead, you just babble on about how time advances and what a horrible things it is that times change, and your crack-seed may fall from its vaunted throne ( tried it once, it was disgusting. Some sort of dried prune, with the stone inside, if I recall. The kind of thing you eat if you have no other options.

You're like the Generals fighting the last war and wondering how come the enemy is beating the pants off of you, or a team defending against the last play or a the last batter.

Times have changed, move on with them or get crushed. It's the way of life, like eat and be eaten, or survival of the fittest. Sorry, it doesn't fit your laid-back template, but laid-back" could compete against a Junior Varsity team. Nobody demands you compete, and score your share of wins, but if you don't, well they don't have a circle for losers.

Now that we have that out of the way, who do you like in the AFC West?

Old 07-10-2016, 10:34 AM

Quote:
It's like watching the hamster on the hamster wheel. Propulser pay attention ok.

Transplant: Man Oahu is packed with people and the homeless is bad.

Local: Stop making it desirable for outsiders to come. Stop building outside tourism areas and they will quit coming.

Transplant: We need to raise the speed limit and build light rail because traffic is so bad.

Local: Stop building comfort things outside of tourism areas and people will quit coming.

Transplant: We need to build a ton of Housing to solve the problems.

Local: No just quit building the things people are used to on the mainland and people will quit moving here and there will be plenty of Housing.

Transplant: But but then the state would go bankrupt, what about all the people who invested and bought houses shouldn't they make a million selling them?

Local: Again the solution is quit making it desirable for others to move here. Profit has nothing to do with it. The state and the tourist trade could make double record breaking profits and the issues will still get worse.

Transplant: But but but That's unamerican! Lol

Local: the longer you wait the Harder it will get especially if local people get addicted to mainland stuff.

Transplant #2 from California. Man I wish we had a trader Joe's here in hawai'i. Oh I wish they had a California kitchen too. Hey dang it they don't have Wal-Mart. Man this place sucks. I don't feel comfortable, dang this local dude keeps speaking gibberish(pidgin). WTH this crazy Hawaiian guy keep giving me stinkneye.Dang I want to go home!

It worked for decades before why not again?
Growing pains, nothing more. OMG, the dreaded "stinkeye"! That is so passe'. Don't you know you are supposed to give them the dreaded roll-eye?
BTW, do you look for your beloved Crack-Seed up there in the PNW? And if so, how is that any different?

Old 07-10-2016, 02:05 PM

246 posts, read 650,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omg you serious View Post
@Mikala43
Haole is what haole does, you my dear are a coconut.
OMG, you're saying it wrong. What they say on big island is "you either local or you haole" no matta how long you live here.

Old 07-10-2016, 03:39 PM

48,574 posts, read 34,956,927 times
I've been here 30 years and while I consider my hapa, I have a huge Hawaiian family, who are all literally mixed Hawaiian and middle class, and I have a Hawaiian last name. I'm Mexican/Swedish which I share with anyone when they say I look local.

I'm not keen on going around including myself in other people's groups or cultures. I enjoy and partake in other customs. They give me scoldings and tell I AM local, or at the very least kamaaina. /lol I don't agree.

I've worked with minimum wage workers, and as they were "my crew" I got to know them and how they lived because I cared. They literally would go climb a coconut tree and break it open for lunch. I've mentored employees so they can get ahead. I'm at the cockfight (don't like), the party watching MMA, riding horses up in the Koolau's and paddle boarding up the river in Haleiwa. I worked at Long's Kaneohe for 2 years. Does that mean something? Yeah, if you lived here you would know it does. So I don't "know" what it's like to be local? You do what here? Anything? Even vacation? What locals do you TALK to? You know..... in real life?

I agree with Viper on some things, and not on a lot of others. But he is obviously intelligent.

Bottom line, you don't live here and have no idea what it's like or how people are. You are basically making stuff up in your head, though I can't figure out why. It's weird that you think reading newspapers and blogs means you know what a location is like.

It's odder still that someone is so obsessed with a location. Literally obsessed. Do you have nothing else to do? You want to hold your childhood memories in some kind of weird stasis. So you can come back?

Do you even own a home in YOUR state? You are so concerned with our market, how does your's affect you?

I'll leave your millionth account for another 24 hours and then you will be banned again.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu