Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2016, 01:30 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,894,590 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pj737 View Post
Hawaiians are indeed moving from here; a mass exodus

But it's still important to recognize and acknowledge there are many good, hard-working people being forcefully displaced to far-away places because of it.

do you have a source for that information? Or, just opinion?

I don't buy it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2016, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Propulser View Post
Only because he is one, and knows he always will be.

Lets take it a step further - this isn't a Hawaii thing. The issue with HBH isn't just that he is the "little guy" it is the constant blame game that the "little guy" is forced to be the "little guy" because of wealthier people - or "big interest" money.

There is an excuse for everything. I've had staff that play the blame game on why they didn't get things done - excuse for everything. They got fired.

I say - what about personal accountability? I know for myself I decided at a very young age I would not spend my life poor - I realized this probably around 8-10 years old. Growing up literally in a trailer was not for me. Now, I could've accepted that lifestyle - blame others/parents, but I decided to do something about it. I set forth to get a college education with scholarships - worked hard - and executed a plan. My success didn't happen by accident. I personally know it isn't terribly difficult to go from trailer/food stamps to success - you just have to make a plan and not keeping blaming others from holding you back.

Old 07-12-2016, 02:11 PM

1,584 posts, read 2,107,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
do you have a source for that information? Or, just opinion?

I don't buy it
It's an opinion. But it matters much more than yours. Why? Because I have lived here my entire life. Your opinion is utterly worthless; you have no credibility as you have only been living here for a tiny part of your life. So what would you know? Your opinion means absolutely nothing here and nothing you say matters.

Sound familiar?

I personally know of over two dozen Hawaiian families that have moved to LV alone. You forget that I have immediate family in Waimanalo and spent a good part of my childhood and young adult life there. Uprooting lives to migrate to the contiguous states is so common here that when people mention the move to family and friends, the reaction is - "well, you gotta do what you gotta do".

And of course you don't buy it. Why would you think legitimate hard-working locals that can't make ends meet and are forced to move 3,500 miles away even exist? Clearly these people are failures of society. They are weak; rejects - defective genes. Incapable of having the intelligence or skills to maintain an income that allows for a decent life here.

The complete absence of empathy continues...

Old 07-12-2016, 02:20 PM

788 posts, read 512,104 times
Quote:
Lets take it a step further - this isn't a Hawaii thing. The issue with HBH isn't just that he is the "little guy" it is the constant blame game that the "little guy" is forced to be the "little guy" because of wealthier people - or "big interest" money.

There is an excuse for everything. I've had staff that play the blame game on why they didn't get things done - excuse for everything. They got fired.

I say - what about personal accountability? I know for myself I decided at a very young age I would not spend my life poor - I realized this probably around 8-10 years old. Growing up literally in a trailer was not for me. Now, I could've accepted that lifestyle - blame others/parents, but I decided to do something about it. I set forth to get a college education with scholarships - worked hard - and executed a plan. My success didn't happen by accident. I personally know it isn't terribly difficult to go from trailer/food stamps to success - you just have to make a plan and not keeping blaming others from holding you back.
You are correct, but I feel there is a bit more as well, for in the cases I have experienced, it seems to have taken deeper roots in the people from Hawaii. They resent the evil outsiders, they resent the evil threat to "laid-back", they resent the threat the outside competitive forces brings to their once-un-demanding island lifestyle.

The people voted for statehood, and then seem to expect that people from other states are going to stay out, except as tourists bringing money from home to be dropped off once FOB or JOJ, and then back home you go. The free interchange of cultural attributes from state-to-state, and indeed from outside nations and their cultures is great, well except on da islands cuz we donn welcum no chanje. The people here on the mainland don't shun Hawaiians and their cultural ways, and have, to a significant degree adopted them with pride.

However, I have to say, as frustrating as it is dealing with him, I can't wait for the next round's opening bell!!! Yikes

As a Post Script I would also offer that I don't pay nearly as much attention to similar "conflicts" within cultures in other areas such, as Arcadia, the deep south or elsewhere because, frankly, I have no interest in them. My interest in Hawaii is unique (for me).

Old 07-12-2016, 02:21 PM

Quote:
you have no credibility as you have only been living here for a tiny part of your life.

Let us start with that.

Incorrect.

Old 07-12-2016, 02:22 PM

Quote:

However, I have to say, as frustrating as it is dealing with him, I can't wait for the next round's opening bell!!! Yikes

It already started - post #124

Old 07-12-2016, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankeefaninboston View Post
I have to agree I am a local lurker myself now living on the mainland. Hbh has my heart. It is sad he represents a subculture today. I agree outside money has really changed Hawaii and raised the prices of homes. I moved because Oahu today is just not Hawaii anymore.
He represents, in many ways, the past - the burbling roiling waters coming off the screws in the ships wake - NOT the water at the van, i.e. the front, where the vessel is headed - to wit, the future.

Old 07-12-2016, 02:55 PM

Quote:
It's an opinion. But it matters much more than yours. Why? Because I have lived here my entire life. Your opinion is utterly worthless; you have no credibility as you have only been living here for a tiny part of your life. So what would you know? Your opinion means absolutely nothing here and nothing you say matters.

Sound familiar?

I personally know of over two dozen Hawaiian families that have moved to LV alone. You forget that I have immediate family in Waimanalo and spent a good part of my childhood and young adult life there. Uprooting lives to migrate to the contiguous states is so common here that when people mention the move to family and friends, the reaction is - "well, you gotta do what you gotta do".

And of course you don't buy it. Why would you think legitimate hard-working locals that can't make ends meet and are forced to move 3,500 miles away even exist? Clearly these people are failures of society. They are weak; rejects - defective genes. Incapable of having the intelligence or skills to maintain an income that allows for a decent life here.

The complete absence of empathy continues...
What is it that attracts them to LV? The heat? The ocean? Wait, I know what it is. It's the buffets!!!

Old 07-12-2016, 03:33 PM

Quote:
What is it that attracts them to LV?

Must be the unemployment rate - oh wait, it is 7.3% in LV as I write this (Honolulu 3.6%)

Maybe it is all the highly paid construction going on in LV? Oh wait, that is Honolulu also.

Old 07-12-2016, 03:37 PM

1,584 posts, read 2,107,191 times
Quote:
What is it that attracts them to LV? The heat? The ocean? Wait, I know what it is. It's the buffets!!!
Quote:
Must be the unemployment rate - oh wait, it is 7.3% in LV as I write this (Honolulu 3.6%)

Maybe it is all the highly paid construction going on in LV? Oh wait, that is Honolulu also.
A bright bunch we have here.

Housing and utilities (comparable to Oahu) are 1/3 the cost in LV. That is the only reason why they are there.

That and they want to live as far away from the elitists as possible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu