Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2016, 12:56 AM

12,120 posts, read 17,943,614 times

Advertisements

Waikikiboy, how often do you get to Hawaii?

I think if you lived here full time you'd have a different perspective.

Hawaii residents are obsessed- really obsessed all things mainland they don't have.

Just recently the 5 Guys opening in Mililani is another recent example. It's an odd obsession by locals to be mainland like.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2016, 01:37 AM

23 posts, read 19,666 times
@Propulser

Hmmm Would you like to learn something new?

Hawai'i as a state is only 56 years old ok. In that time nothing really major has changed, except for the last decade. Unlike other areas in our country which has had 240 years of major changes our home has not. Heres is something to do that may change your awareness. Next time you go into a highend store or a big box store your familiar with find out how long they have been in Hawai'i. I bet you 95% of them have not been in Hawai'i for longer then a decade. Now find an old local who can tell you about what local businesses or cultural places that have been closed or torn down in the last decade or two. If your serious you could get 100 or 200 names in a list. Now find out how long they have been open? It would most likely shock you to learn that 80% of those on your list have been open in Hawai'i for decades or longer. Some longer then our young statehood. Thats the point change comes naturally. What you have in Oahu is equal to a hostile take over.

Old 07-09-2016, 01:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
Waikikiboy, how often do you get to Hawaii?

I think if you lived here full time you'd have a different perspective.

Hawaii residents are obsessed- really obsessed all things mainland they don't have.

Just recently the 5 Guys opening in Mililani is another recent example. It's an odd obsession by locals to be mainland like.
Whtviper1 the grass is always greener on the otherside. This is a human thing. As obsessed that this generation is with anything mainland and new. I can show you just as many locals on the mainland with all its stores obsessed with getting local hawaii grinds or things they can only get in Hawai'i. It is what it is.

Old 07-09-2016, 01:56 AM

12,120 posts, read 17,943,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aloha State View Post
I can show you just as many locals on the mainland with all its stores obsessed with getting local hawaii grinds or things they can only get in Hawai'i.
Ok. Show us.

In Hawaii it makes the top news story. Lines around the block. Let's see the same.

Old 07-09-2016, 02:56 AM

Default There are hundreds

@Propulser

Heres just a small list ok. As an example of what im saying. Remember Hawai'i as a state is 56 years old

Sears in Oahu For the past 47 years, closed 2013
The International Market Place opened 1957 closed 2015
Liberty House 150 years in Hawai'i closed 2001
Pro Bowl 1980-2009 29 years
The Kodak Hula Show 1937 to 2015
Byrons drive inn (really the last and youngest of the old drive inns to close) 47 years closed 2013
Woolworths startted 1959 closed 1997
McInerny 145 years in Hawai'i closed 2002
KC Drive inn 70 years in Oahu closed 2005
John’s Groceries – Liliha St, Liliha / established in 1926 closed recently
Wo Fats Restaurant - Honolulu's oldest restaurant - was established in 1882. closed recently
Yick Lung 1920s -1990s
Varsity theater 1939- 2008
The Manapua Man a tradition on the islands that goes back generations. Today some residents are pressuring lawmakers to shutdown the manapua man because his music is too loud.
Honolulu Star-Bulletin 1912 to 2010

These are just off the top of my head

Last edited by Aloha State; 07-09-2016 at 03:22 AM..

Old 07-09-2016, 03:20 AM

Quote:
Ok. Show us.

In Hawaii it makes the top news story. Lines around the block. Let's see the same.
Sure heres one

A Hawaiian island in the Las Vegas desert - Las Vegas Weekly

heres another

https://www.vegas.com/shopping/hawai...ace-las-vegas/
Wow people missed the international market place in Hawai'i so much that they model this market place after it.

Hmmm did you know that leonards malasadas ships overseas and you can order online? Wonder what there online sales are?

Did you know that the crackseed center now only does online sales and ships overseas. Wonder how much crackseed is sold?

How about Hurricane popcorn or chocolate mac nuts? That sales online?

Can you imagine how many lunch plate specials are sold on the mainland in a day? Or how about hawaiian music shows or culture shows in a year?

This is to name a few. Cravings on the mainland?

Last edited by Aloha State; 07-09-2016 at 03:28 AM..

Old 07-09-2016, 03:27 AM

1,585 posts, read 2,114,083 times
Quote:
just got around to this:

David Y. Ige | DCCA NEWS RELEASE: DBEDT releases analysis on Hawaii home buyers

You forgot something important and decided to leave this out - ha ha ha ha ha ha ha

About 47 percent of the neighbor island homes were sold to out-of-state residents, while only 15 percent of Oahu homes were sold to out-of-state residents.

Seriously, 15%???? that's it??? Quite frankly I'm a little shocked it is so low given how some folks on here think all these homes are being bought by the mean mainlander and should get taxed like crazy. 15%!!

Reminder: Oahu thread
Well (surprise), I disagree. Most (almost all) people that move here from the mainland will find a rental or live in a home (friend, family etc) and therefore have a permanent address before actually transacting on a home purchase. You can move here from Texas, rent for 2 months and be thrown into the "local" buyer column according to this study where data came from an escrow company - Title Guaranty. Living here for two months wouldn't make someone "local" by anyone's definition. But the authors of the study (and you, apparently) seem to think that's acceptable.

In my opinion, this makes the data very misleading. The overwhelming bulk (95%++) of buyers that come here from the mainland (or foreign country) purchase a property and provide a local address at the time of transaction. Very and I mean VERY few find a place to buy immediately after moving here.

The reality is most of those 15% of buyers don't live here and will never live here on a permanent basis. It's a significant number, in my opinion.

Old 07-09-2016, 03:45 AM

1,585 posts, read 2,114,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaikikiBoy View Post
Some of the perspective in your post just strikes me as the type of attitude that diminishes the uniqueness of Hawaii and what makes it a special place.
Well that was a nice way to put it. I personally think it's appalling and downright disgusting.

He does seem to have a fairly large cheer-leading squad here... which just makes it even more appalling.

Old 07-09-2016, 10:20 AM

48,574 posts, read 34,956,927 times
Quote:
Nope i love diversity. Lets reread to get in context "This my point outside money is raising the median average wealth on the islands. I think people should also talk to the 70% of the total native hawaiian population living now in other states in our country and ask them why they don't live on Hawaii anymore or the 90,000 Former Hawaii Residents in Navada alone."

Well, they don't call LV the 9th island for nothing........ we likes our gamblin'.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 07-09-2016, 10:23 AM

48,574 posts, read 34,956,927 times
Quote:
You seem to not understand that we are americans. For 56 years now Hawai'i has been a state. What does that mean? It means eating crackseed, watching sumo wrestling, eating at the locally owned drive inns and taking our time and supporting local or being local is bring American! For some reason those from outside think they need to bring America to Hawai'i.
Hawaii gets what it wants. It's not like business come up and they are like "no..... that's not our culture."

I won't go to ANY new store in Hawaii for the first 6 months it's open because it is insane.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu