Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2016, 09:19 AM

788 posts, read 512,620 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyRoadg View Post
yet you shop there
Yes, the Iron Knee is incredible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2016, 03:00 AM

34 posts, read 42,160 times
I shopped in WF in ATL and now I've shopped safeway, times and sam's here on Oahu.
All I can tell you is that there is no price so significantly different that I would remember.
Difference in a month of rent/mortgage will make the food price or gas price differences irrelevant.

Old 07-18-2016, 05:21 PM

96 posts, read 112,846 times
I went into a store called Down to Earth Organic & Natural. It was pretty pricey, like Whole Foods. I can't really give you specifics because I don't really buy much at either store. Down to Earth Organic & Natural had a really awesome food buffet, and those prices were reasonable. Most of the prices at Target and Costco are close if not identical to the mainland. I can tell you that the thing about milk being super expensive is BS. You can buy a gallon of milk at Target for $5. I think Costco is a little less. The "super expensive milk" thing is my pet peeve subject that uninformed, negative people bring up about Hawaii all the time. Even if milk was $10/gallon, who cares? How many gallons of milk are you going to drink a month?

Old 07-18-2016, 06:10 PM

788 posts, read 512,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flipsidem View Post
I went into a store called Down to Earth Organic & Natural. It was pretty pricey, like Whole Foods. I can't really give you specifics because I don't really buy much at either store. Down to Earth Organic & Natural had a really awesome food buffet, and those prices were reasonable. Most of the prices at Target and Costco are close if not identical to the mainland. I can tell you that the thing about milk being super expensive is BS. You can buy a gallon of milk at Target for $5. I think Costco is a little less. The "super expensive milk" thing is my pet peeve subject that uninformed, negative people bring up about Hawaii all the time. Even if milk was $10/gallon, who cares? How many gallons of milk are you going to drink a month?
3 to 4

Old 07-18-2016, 08:28 PM

1,585 posts, read 2,109,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flipsidem View Post
Virtually everything on Oahu has similar pricing when compared to other large cities in the west and east coast. And it's really quite astonishing when you consider how isolated we are.

The only exception is housing (to include utilities and construction costs). Nobody has ever moved back to the mainland because milk is $1-$2/gallon more here.

Old 07-23-2016, 09:45 AM

3,928 posts, read 4,908,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by American Heart View Post
Aloha all. I have been wondering this for a long time now and so I figure if I post here I'll get some closure on the matter.

As someone who does much of their shopping at Whole Paycheck, I have to ask how much, if at all their already high prices are even higher on the islands.

I ask because I see things all the time about regular plain old safeway milk being 6 or 7 bucks on Oahu, and since I'm used to paying that kind of price for mik and most food anyway, I'm wondering where the Wole Foods prices currently reside at way out there in HI.

I'd REALLY like to hear from someone who has shopped at WF on the mainland and has since moved to the Rainbow State and continues to shop there and has some info on the price differences/similarities.

Thanks so much guys 'n gals. ;D
It's more expensive on the islands. I used to shop at the Kahala WF.

Old 08-07-2016, 06:02 PM

26 posts, read 43,398 times
Yep, I'm in Austin, TX and used to shop at the Kahala mall Whole Foods all the time, the prices are for the most part, comparable. It's kinda cool cause now I shop at the original Whole Foods that was founded in Austin, which started the Whole Food craze. The difference is that the store itself is FREAKING HUGE!! Come check it out sometime!

LOL I remember the first time I went to Whole Foods at Kahala and thought that the salad was $8.99 for the container you fill (there was a sign that said '$8.99' and it was next to the containers where you put your salad in). I didn't know that they charge you based on weight of the food you get. I ended up paying almost $30 for my self-serve salad cause I filled it up with boiled eggs and whole bunch of heavy sht HAHA. I should've told them about that stinkin $8.99 sign. Oh well, thought that was pretty hilarious looking back on it Expensive lesson learned!

Old 09-11-2016, 08:06 PM

30,639 posts, read 18,227,675 times
Just went to the Whole Foods in Honolulu the other day. Good selection of items at Whole Foods prices. Just like I do back on the mainland, I'll pretty much only shop here for some specialty items.

Old 09-12-2016, 01:43 PM

4,477 posts, read 3,301,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
I'm interested in reading some responses, too. I haven't shopped at Whole Foods on island (I rarely went when I lived on the mainland), but that's mainly because I have access to the commissary (i.e. significantly cheaper options).
I find Costco and Walmart cheaper (or roughly the same) than NEX these days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
Just went to the Whole Foods in Honolulu the other day. Good selection of items at Whole Foods prices. Just like I do back on the mainland, I'll pretty much only shop here for some specialty items.
Check out the new Foodland Farms at Ala Moana.

Old 09-12-2016, 05:47 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,910,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Makeupyourownmind View Post
The same members are saying on here it's the same but on different thread they say food prices higher because of shipping.
Perhaps you should post some specific examples HBH.

Regardless, in my experience, groceries run about 10% more expensive in Honolulu compared to San Francisco - and up to 30% more expensive on Maui, BI, Kauai compared to SF.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu