Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2017, 04:25 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,945,761 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KristenTX2HI View Post
how and where would i research the area
I'd try google.

"Is Waianae safe"

"Waianae traffic"

"Waianae crime"

etc.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2017, 04:30 PM

16 posts, read 18,865 times
Ok....thank you

Old 06-06-2017, 04:37 PM

2,095 posts, read 1,563,142 times
Waianae to pearl harbor commute daily is going to suck. Ideally you'd want to work some sort of swing shift to lessen the commute pain. Say 5AM - 2PM or something.

Renting a place in salt lake, aiea, or pearl city is way more ideal.

Old 06-06-2017, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
You should spend the bulk of your time online researching Waianae - you may have found a gem of a place but you may not have found a gem of an area. It definitely isn't for everyone or even practically everyone - but some do love it.
This is just my opinion. I think in general, the people in Waianae are good people. They're trying to make a living and survive out here just like everyone else. Because the location is rather remote, probably the most remote on the island with a single lane highway in/out from one direction only (road doesn't go around the island), the housing prices are cheaper. Because the housing is cheaper, it attracts the people that can afford it. So you have a lot of lower income families, which also means more crime, more drugs, more homeless, etc.

The one way in, 1 way out, no center divider element makes the road more dangerous than the average road to traverse as well. There's drunk driving and whatnot at night, you have someone cross the center divider, and you end up with a bunch of people in the hospital critically injured, if not dead.

Old 06-06-2017, 05:04 PM

Thanks......Ive lived in Dallas, Houston and Jacksonville, Fl.....family in San Fran.....so i get crime...cultural differences...etc....i grew up farming and surfing....i have nothing but respect for everyone....their stories...strifes and histories....i lost my rose colored glasses in my 30's.....but i love nature....good hearted people and the simple....peaceful life....im loving the advise and directions
Thank you

Old 06-06-2017, 06:25 PM

like I said initially, overall, Waianae residents aren't bad. Traffic is going to be the bigger concern. You never specified exactly where in Waianae, your commute could be quite a bit longer than this depending on where the rental is. The 1 hour - 1 hour 50 minutes commute time is average daily commute with school out. It doesn't consider messed up traffic conditions that do occur enough times to be irritating. When school is in session, average daily traffic is quite a bit worse to say the least.

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Pear...1496764800!3e0

Even if it may cost you a couple hundred more per month, I would seriously consider renting in the areas I mentioned previously. You'll save at least that much in gas and vehicle related expenses, not to mention halving your commute time, if not more.

Distance is 28 miles 1 way, you'll fighting traffic most of the way.
you drive a suv and truck, already not fuel efficient.
you probably burn 3 gallons of gas 1 way
average size of suv gas tank is 25 gallons.
so that's probably a quarter tank every day you go work

catching the bus is cheaper option, but takes even longer to get where you're going. Most people I know that live in Waianae and work in town catch mass transit, and learn how to doze off for the 2 hours or however long it takes to get them where they're going.

BTW if you happen to be thinking I'm overplaying this traffic thing and that there's no way traffic can be that bad, it's only a small island. Everything bigger in texas! Here you go - Honolulu ranked worst in the country for traffic. Yes, worse than LA, San Fran, and New York.

http://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/story/1...ry-for-traffic

----------------
anyways, sounds like you have your mind already made up, so I'll just say that I hope it all works out for you, and wish you the best of luck!

Last edited by rya96797; 06-06-2017 at 07:16 PM..

Old 06-07-2017, 01:46 PM

1,708 posts, read 1,148,408 times
I used to know someone who resides in Waianae. She wakes up everyday at 3:30 am and catches the bus at 4:15 am to commute to town. She arrives in town at about 6:30 am but her work does not start until 7:30 am. I asked her why she needs to get up that early. She said if she gets on the later bus, i.e.@4:45 am, the morning traffic jam has already started and she may be late for work.

Old 06-07-2017, 03:44 PM

5,462 posts, read 3,043,586 times
Good luck on your move . I visited briefly( from Houston) and Waianae seemed to be the poorest region in the South/West. We had the best food and best beaches there. My only concern would be the traffic, as its an almost 1 lane road with a speed limit of 25-35 and tons of lights until you reach the H1 East which puts you to the rest of the city . But that's only a stretch of 6-7 miles(( similar to Westheimer road bumper to bumper traffic)).

Also by what I saw it was not diverse and mostly local people were the majority.

Did you look at Kapolei, which had a lot of military residences??? That's the second major city and was buzzing with urban feel.

Last edited by shanv3; 06-07-2017 at 04:13 PM..

Old 06-07-2017, 04:13 PM

We are moving from Houston!! Thanks for yhe information...

Old 06-08-2017, 05:25 PM

48,574 posts, read 34,956,927 times
It would be rare for anyone to give you a hard time for being gay, it's just not an issue.

Waianae? Remember, 1 road in 1 out. Accident? Your 2 hour commute just became 4, and there is no where to go..... Sometimes they unlock a private road, but last time.... the person with the key was stuck in the same traffic.

It's rural, it's poor they can get a little non appreciative of outsiders. But generally if you're cool, they're cool. (Subtext: better not complain about the C*ck fights)

True, jobs go first to peeps who know peeps, but a lot of new comers get jobs too, and construction bookkeeping should do well!!

Welcome in advance!!
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu