Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2008, 06:24 PM

7,913 posts, read 933,126 times

Advertisements

on the news the other night they said 6,500 cars got stolen on oahu thats about 17 a day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2008, 12:29 AM

60 posts, read 394,179 times
in LA a car gets stolen every six secounds and only has a population twice the size of oahu. oakland has a population half the size of oahu has 8 times the muder rate... and a car gets stole every 12 secounds

I live in Waianae. I am white. VERY white. I have lived here for about a year. And I have experienced absolutely NO racism. and have had nothing but positive things happen in my life. I read these threads and laugh. My first week here I got a old beat up truck for $150 it broke down on the way home from were I got it. Steam coming from under the hood I had multiple people stop and ask me if I needed help. At least 10 in about a half hour period. One guy pulled over.. Jumped out of his truck grabbed a tool box from the rear and said “aye bruadda… u think its broke? I got some tools u like try use em?” aloha spirit lives out here more then any other city I have traveled to. Waianae has such a bad reputation. But it’s the best place on Oahu.

the main thing u have to know... is you get out what you put out.. if u walk around with a chip on you shoulder.. ur going to get negative feed back. u walk around possitive.. and respectful of a culture that is not your own but do what u can to embrace it. you will be fine. envolope ur self in the spirit of aloha and every fasit of ur life

mahalo for ready guys

Old 05-22-2008, 12:35 AM

1,046 posts, read 4,896,707 times
Stealing a car on an island has to be one of the most desperate – or DUMB – crimes of all times.

Old 05-22-2008, 08:25 AM

203 posts, read 1,358,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmoon808 View Post
in LA a car gets stolen every six secounds and only has a population twice the size of oahu. oakland has a population half the size of oahu has 8 times the muder rate... and a car gets stole every 12 secounds

I live in Waianae. I am white. VERY white. I have lived here for about a year. And I have experienced absolutely NO racism. and have had nothing but positive things happen in my life. I read these threads and laugh. My first week here I got a old beat up truck for $150 it broke down on the way home from were I got it. Steam coming from under the hood I had multiple people stop and ask me if I needed help. At least 10 in about a half hour period. One guy pulled over.. Jumped out of his truck grabbed a tool box from the rear and said “aye bruadda… u think its broke? I got some tools u like try use em?” aloha spirit lives out here more then any other city I have traveled to. Waianae has such a bad reputation. But it’s the best place on Oahu.

the main thing u have to know... is you get out what you put out.. if u walk around with a chip on you shoulder.. ur going to get negative feed back. u walk around possitive.. and respectful of a culture that is not your own but do what u can to embrace it. you will be fine. envolope ur self in the spirit of aloha and every fasit of ur life

mahalo for ready guys
Los Angeles city proper has approx 3.8 million. LA county has 10.3 million. Oahu has just about 900k. Your numbers are a bit off

And not sure where the theft numbers are from; but if a vehicle was stolen every 6 seconds in LA, that equals about 5.25 million cars per year. Which I'd say is probably more vehicles than the city has..

The worst cities for auto theft - MSN Money (http://moneycentral.msn.com/content/Insurance/Insureyourcar/P127134.asp - broken link)

Los Angeles alone reported 73,000 car thefts.

= 200 a day

But comparatively speaking; LA does have a higher car theft rate

Old 05-22-2008, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmoon808 View Post

mahalo for ready guys
you're pretty lucking because i did'nt have a bad attitude about hawaii but i got called haole almost everyday at school which lead me to leave public schools.

Old 05-22-2008, 12:44 PM

28 posts, read 513,594 times
Aloha dmoon,
I'm so glad that you posted a positive representation of Waianae on this forum. I have been thinking of living out there and generally come across negativity about the area. It really does make a difference how you project yourself.
Do you have any other info about the area that would be useful? I know this is off-topic but I really like the idea of living out there. Perhaps I'll start a new thread about it even though I have already learned a lot by using the search feature.

Mahalo for your positivity!
Thornpicker

Old 05-24-2008, 03:07 PM

60 posts, read 394,179 times
Exclamation no.. not luck

Quote:
Originally Posted by me0123 View Post
you're pretty lucking because i did'nt have a bad attitude about hawaii but i got called haole almost everyday at school which lead me to leave public schools.

i've seen this military guys.... walk around.... with there chip on there shoulder like we owe em something. the local kine hates this. any of u have seen it time and again... some local kine (mokes) ignore it. get 10 beers in em.. then he got one problem. the very same "moke" that gives that Amy prag a hard time.... buys me a beer every time i sit at the bar. either u have aloha... embrace it... love it... or u dont. People put some much on the word haole. it all depends in witch the context its used in.. I get called haole every day. But they usually give me a hug as they are saying it. Us white people are introducing our selves in a culture that is not our own. U have to play by there rules.. Not your own. Local kine guys that I have neva met… say things like “howzit bra??? U like go makaha surf beach drink some beer?” it’s all about imagery. How u project ur self into the world. I was born and raised in one of the hardest “hoods” in America in northern california. So maybe I have a lil more practice at surviving out of my element. My point is… take they chip of ur shoulder.. Humble your self… embrace aloha… and ur life will change.

Old 05-24-2008, 03:37 PM

47 posts, read 198,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whynot? View Post
Stealing a car on an island has to be one of the most desperate – or DUMB – crimes of all times.
There are certain cars targeted. They actually do get them off the island and into the black market. It is actually a lucrative business for many who are involved in this crime unfortunately.

We lived there for 6 years (only gone a year) Loved every minute of it. Never had any issues at all. We miss all our "local" friends terribly (we're military) My son was part of an outrigger canoe club for 3 years - we're white as can be and he was the only white person....he was their "haloe boy" and he wasn't treated any differently than the local boys He has full intentions on going back as he considers Hawaii his home (he's 17).

Old 05-24-2008, 07:18 PM

1,046 posts, read 4,896,707 times
Oh, I know. I live on Maui -- and I am very familiar with chop shops from my years in D.C. But I also often read in the Maui paper about cars that are stolen for joy-riding, and the perps are almost always caught. There are only so many roads, so many miles of pavement. Bike (and scooter) theft is common, too, sadly. With much the same result. Desperate and dumb on an island, I still say.

Old 05-24-2008, 07:25 PM

most people who steal the cars take them apart and sell the parts. that amount is only on oahu that does not include the other islands.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu