Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2021, 02:04 AM

1,731 posts, read 1,067,874 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaikikiBoy View Post
Newer buildings have been built for vacation rental but just not under the traditional hotel model. The Ritz and the Trump are two examples. They are not built purely under the traditional hotel model but they largely function as a hotel. The Hilton has also built a couple towers under the time share model but again, they function as hotels basically. All the newer resorts in Ko”Olina as well.

I have no problem with tourists and the large benefit they inject through the economy. But I do believe there needs to be a balance on a small island. The last couple years prior to Covid it felt like things were a bit out of balance to me.
Those 2 properties completely slipped my mind. I don't believe I've ever heard someone say they were staying at either. Still there has not been crazy growth of rooms.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2021, 08:37 AM

10,561 posts, read 7,763,547 times
The pull quote title may be a bit misleading if it's mostly based on a survey conducted during early fall last year (Ending October 25), as the link within the link indicates. Gee, might Covid have something to do with the responses?

Interesting that the Big Island was the most pro tourism and Kauai the least at that time.

No doubt locals appreciated having their favorite recreational places to themselves this winter. Alaskans enjoyed the same situation this past summer. But we want them back, and they be coming back to both states like it or not!

Old 03-09-2021, 10:52 AM

2,417 posts, read 3,255,802 times
The Tourist will return regardless of how Hawaiians, or locals feel. It is inevitable, People want to come to Hawaii on Vacation. Especially during the winter Months, in a normal Pre-Covin world.

Old 03-09-2021, 12:16 PM

6,384 posts, read 4,834,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottStielow View Post
The Tourist will return regardless of how Hawaiians, or locals feel. It is inevitable, People want to come to Hawaii on Vacation. Especially during the winter Months, in a normal Pre-Covin world.
There has been a group of Snowbirds (20-30) from Northern states and Canada who have been coming to my building every winter, some for more than 25 years in a row. Not one of them came this year. I expect them all to return next winter. Many who are not owners already have reservations.

Old 03-09-2021, 12:53 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,917,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Futuremauian View Post
There has been a group of Snowbirds (20-30) from Northern states and Canada who have been coming to my building every winter, some for more than 25 years in a row.
Well - the Canadians are banned so that explains them......

Old 03-09-2021, 12:58 PM

1,731 posts, read 1,067,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
Some are getting here through Seattle. Some regulars have missed this year but not sure if that is their choice of they couldn't figure out the work around.

Although the ones leaving tomorrow said they have to test and then stay in a hotel for three days for test results and still then quarantine. Yeah, that is a hassle.

Old 03-09-2021, 02:25 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,069,811 times
no more spam for you

Old 03-10-2021, 12:02 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,564,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
Canadians are not banned. We can still fly into the US. At land crossings the US will only let essential travellers in, so no snowbirds will get in that way. Why the difference? I've been asking that question since day one.

What is preventing the vast majority of snowbirds from travelling is the hassle of quarantine when they get back to Canada, and common sense that it isn't exactly a good idea to be travelling at this time.

Old 03-17-2021, 06:08 AM

1,014 posts, read 480,079 times
We in Hawai'i would have a hard time surviving without tourist. Airports would not function properly. Shopping Centers would be empty and broke. Beaches would be few and sparingly filled. Amusement parks empty. Movie theaters would be half filled. This whole economy in Hawai'i is dependent on Tourist coming here. So a drop in tourism means no business for awhile. March 2021.

Old 03-17-2021, 10:06 AM

6,384 posts, read 4,834,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyCable View Post
We in Hawai'i would have a hard time surviving without tourist. Airports would not function properly. Shopping Centers would be empty and broke. Beaches would be few and sparingly filled. Amusement parks empty. Movie theaters would be half filled. This whole economy in Hawai'i is dependent on Tourist coming here. So a drop in tourism means no business for awhile. March 2021.
Our beaches would disappear without tourists?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu