Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2021, 03:04 PM

4,477 posts, read 3,303,219 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
I’m not sure this is what he meant but practically all Hawaii beaches are man made. No tourists no beach replenishment projects.
That is a pretty absurd statement. No, not "practically all Hawaii beaches are man made", not even Waikiki Beach, which has existed forever, is man made. Yes they made Waikiki Beach wider and replenished the sand that disappeared naturally (and came back naturally), but the man made things that effected Waikiki Beach were the paving over and burying the natural streams and construction of the Ala Wai Canal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2021, 07:43 PM

4,852 posts, read 3,649,439 times
Been to Hawaii one time. That was enough.

Old 04-22-2021, 08:06 PM

6,384 posts, read 4,834,185 times
Thanks for dropping by to share that.

The last Texan I encountered here was in full makeup and jewelry, sitting on Kaanapali Beach, loudly regaling all of us within earshot exciting stories about her Mercedes Benz.

It created instant camaraderie among those of us near her as we feigned interest while rolling our eyes at each other . She was clueless!

Was that you?

Old 06-15-2021, 11:27 PM

2 posts, read 1,965 times
I guess that means the locals will just have to steal from each other. Sad.

Old 06-16-2021, 12:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goferonholiday View Post
I guess that means the locals will just have to steal from each other. Sad.
Pretty snarky!

I assume you're aware that the "locals" don't kill each other at anywhere near the rate that occurs on the mainland. Shootings in Chicago each weekend probably equal Hawaii's numbers for an entire year.

According to the evening news, we are two thousand tourists ahead of this same week in 2018.

We are on track for a boom year in tourism. Personally I would be happy if about half of them went elsewhere.

Old 07-10-2021, 04:08 AM

1,950 posts, read 3,528,742 times
Waikiki used to be a thin ribbon of carbonate sand and parial swampland between wetlands and a reef. It has had problems with erosion ever since sand has been imported to create the very artificial beach you see today. And now it is rimmed with a mass of pavement and highrises. None of that is natural:

https://dlnr.hawaii.gov/occl/files/2...ki-history.pdf

Old 07-10-2021, 09:03 AM

10,563 posts, read 7,767,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Futuremauian View Post
Thanks for dropping by to share that. ..

It could be taken as an insult to the State, not sure it was intended that way. I'm actually glad to hear some people aren't interesting in visiting.

FWIW, I've never gone to Texas and don't plan to.

Old 07-10-2021, 02:13 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,917,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by west seattle gal View Post
Waikiki used to be a thin ribbon of carbonate sand and parial swampland between wetlands and a reef. It has had problems with erosion ever since sand has been imported to create the very artificial beach you see today. And now it is rimmed with a mass of pavement and highrises. None of that is natural:

Before we go on the poor Waikiki route - The Ala Wai canal which laid the foundation for modern day Waikiki was never meant to create a tourist zone, rather the swampland was incredibly polluted (smelled) and overrun by mosquitos. It was a mosquito and pollution control project.

Prior to the Ala Wai the bulk of Waikiki was sand free (as is much of Hawaii) with the sand coming from other parts of the island, other islands, some imported, or dug up.

Old 07-10-2021, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by west seattle gal View Post

I see Waikiki as a glowing testimonial to what man is capable of doing to harness a poor environment.

Global warming, if it is caused by man, is the opposite extreme.

Old 07-16-2021, 02:12 PM

Today's article explains what we've all been feeling on Maui. We are being overwhelmed!

https://beatofhawaii.com/why-hawaii-...t-maui-hardest
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu