Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2021, 12:26 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,894,590 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Futuremauian View Post
Today's article explains what we've all been feeling on Maui. We are being overwhelmed!

https://beatofhawaii.com/why-hawaii-...t-maui-hardest
Awwww. Poor Maui getting tourists who provide jobs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2021, 02:34 PM

451 posts, read 411,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
I understand there are new water restrictions imposed on upcountry Maui. I don't think tourism has to do with the current shortages upcountry, however perhaps Maui county should use it's taxing authority to tax tourism to drill wells upcountry and enhance service to the area. It will provide jobs too.

Old 07-17-2021, 10:56 PM

6,384 posts, read 4,823,637 times
Quote:
I would be more than happy to share them with you on Oahu.

Old 07-18-2021, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Futuremauian View Post
I would be more than happy to share them with you on Oahu.
Your complaint is misguided as Oahu gets more tourists than Maui. Always has - always will. Oahu had 95,000 more visitors in May (last month released) on a island the fraction of the size of Maui.

What I really don't understand about the whining on Maui is Maui had 35,000 less visitors than May 2019

Maybe if the government handouts ended - Maui residents may get more enlightened on the value of tourism.

Old 07-21-2021, 10:13 PM

4,096 posts, read 6,212,304 times
I had the opportunity to visit Hawaii for the 17th time but decided against it. I guess I will try again next year. See if the market has calmed down and is more welcoming. It seems a bit hectic right now. But Florida and Arizona make a (poor) second best for me right now.

Old 07-22-2021, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayekaye View Post
I had the opportunity to visit Hawaii for the 17th time but decided against it. I guess I will try again next year. See if the market has calmed down and is more welcoming. It seems a bit hectic right now. But Florida and Arizona make a (poor) second best for me right now.
I don't know why anyone would find it to be better next year - except even more crowded as mandates are removed.

Old 07-22-2021, 11:54 AM

1,731 posts, read 1,065,441 times
Quote:
I don't know why anyone would find it to be better next year - except even more crowded as mandates are removed.
Although it may be just as crowded next year I hope there will be less gouging on rental cars and hotels.

Old 07-22-2021, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldKona View Post
Although it may be just as crowded next year I hope there will be less gouging on rental cars and hotels.
Hotel Owner - "Hmmm, I'll have just as many people (maybe more with international) next year as this year with my current high hotel prices - I think I'll charge less"

Says no hotel owner ever.

Old 07-22-2021, 03:10 PM

1,731 posts, read 1,065,441 times
Quote:
Hotel Owner - "Hmmm, I'll have just as many people (maybe more with international) next year as this year with my current high hotel prices - I think I'll charge less"

Says no hotel owner ever.
Just as many people but 90% more that will refuse to be gouged. There is a economic term called elasticity of demand. At a certain price demand drops. At the present time people seem to be willing to pay whatever just to get out. Next year I think the demand will be the same but the willingness to pay high will not.

Old 07-22-2021, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldKona View Post
Just as many people but 90% more that will refuse to be gouged. There is a economic term called elasticity of demand. At a certain price demand drops. At the present time people seem to be willing to pay whatever just to get out. Next year I think the demand will be the same but the willingness to pay high will not.
We will see - the new normal is high prices regardless of occupancy levels - it started that way when the State reopened in October even though the big uptick in tourism didn't really start until March.

Even with high room rates - the lodging industry isn't exactly raking it in - no business conferences (I saw multiple this past week in Vegas) - restaurant occupancy restrictions, etc.

The big bucks for hotels really come into play with rented ballrooms and the food and drink flowing especially when they also rent the pool areas in the evening, etc....A lot of hotel real estate is sitting empty with no conferences.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu