Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2021, 10:02 AM

6,390 posts, read 4,861,019 times

Advertisements

Perhaps some good news is on the horizon.

https://messaging-custom-newsletters...8e02492bad66bf
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2021, 10:08 AM

960 posts, read 1,221,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
All in all, though, I think we need to be clear that the mess the state is seeing at the hospitals is entirely preventable and overwhelmingly the fault of residents who refuse to get vaccinated. We have a way to mitigate the hospital crisis, and that's by getting vaccinated.
Good points. I believe people who aren’t fond of tourists in general, are happy to use the current situation to support their anti-tourist feelings. But, as you’ve indicated, the current situation is actually the fault of those who choose not to vaccinate.

Now that we have effective and proven vaccines, The long-term answer for the State cannot be to shut the door and shutter businesses and go into lockdown as a response to high Covid cases when the cases are a result of individuals choosing not to vaccinate. The solution at this point is more vaccination.

And personally, I’ve always felt the islands have too many tourists and need fewer of them. But the current situation is the fault of the unvaccinated.... not tourists or anyone else. We need to be direct and honest about that because if not, the situation won’t improve.

Old 09-01-2021, 10:35 AM

12,120 posts, read 17,975,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaikikiBoy View Post

And personally, I’ve always felt the islands have too many tourists and need fewer of them. But the current situation is the fault of the unvaccinated.... not tourists or anyone else. We need to be direct and honest about that because if not, the situation won’t improve.
Perhaps to many tourists - but mass layoffs have already begun on Oahu at the hotels and flight loads have dropped to 1/3 of capacity.

I don't see a lockdown simply because another stimulus will not come to bail out the state - but dark days ahead may be in store for the islands despite no lockdown.

Old 09-01-2021, 10:36 AM

30,719 posts, read 18,367,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arktikos View Post
https://www.khon2.com/always-investi...r-do-pre-test/

“I know people don’t want to hear this because they seem to be hell-bent on believing it’s tourists,” Honolulu Mayor Rick Blangiardi said. “But the very fact of the matter is I’m talking to the CEOs of our hospitals they’re seeing very few of any tourists come in. This is a local situation.”
To play devil's advocate, I will note that tourists probably aren't on island long enough--generally speaking--to display symptoms serious enough to require hospitalization. That said, regardless of the spread, the problem we are seeing at the hospitals are due to locals not getting vaccinated.

Old 09-01-2021, 10:42 AM

156 posts, read 170,421 times
If I lived on an island know for world-class vacations I wouldn't want tourists either.

Old 09-01-2021, 11:12 AM

451 posts, read 414,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arktikos View Post
https://www.khon2.com/always-investi...r-do-pre-test/

“I know people don’t want to hear this because they seem to be hell-bent on believing it’s tourists,” Honolulu Mayor Rick Blangiardi said. “But the very fact of the matter is I’m talking to the CEOs of our hospitals they’re seeing very few of any tourists come in. This is a local situation.”

I am not sure where Blangiardi spends his time and talking with whom, however on a local level, just about everyone I know is pretty certain it wasn't visitors that prompted the current upswing in infections. A lot of people are saying it was caused by those arrogant, stupid, selfish, self-centered local individuals that don't really care about anyone but them themselves and screwed their families and their neighbors on our islands by deciding not to get vaccinated in a timely manner. Just sayin, Rick.

Old 09-01-2021, 11:19 AM

451 posts, read 414,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
Perhaps to many tourists - but mass layoffs have already begun on Oahu at the hotels and flight loads have dropped to 1/3 of capacity.

I don't see a lockdown simply because another stimulus will not come to bail out the state - but dark days ahead may be in store for the islands despite no lockdown.
Just from an observational standpoint: I was driving thru Waikiki around 7:30 PM or so last Saturday, and there is a very noticeable downturn in the number of folks on the sidewalks compared to several weeks ago.

Last edited by Rain Monkey; 09-01-2021 at 11:56 AM..

Old 09-01-2021, 02:41 PM

6,421 posts, read 8,301,324 times
^I don't think I've ever seen Waikiki beach any less crowded. It wasn't dead or anything, but it looked way less than half the usual number of people-- even on the weekend.

Old 09-05-2021, 12:16 PM

2,400 posts, read 787,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
Who cares about tourists when Congress passes out $1.9 Trillion in freeloader aid on top of the other Trillions of freeloader aid.

Now take away free aid for doing nothing - I suspect the survey would change.

I also suspect many of the owners of boarded up businesses did not participate in the survey.
Nailed it.

Old 09-05-2021, 12:20 PM

2,400 posts, read 787,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
The title says 'Hawaiians', although I suppose they actually mean 'Residents of Hawaii'? In any case, I'm good with less tourism. Some tourism is okay, but we've been way too dependent on it and it's not an industry which pays it's worker very well. Getting some sort of higher income work for the folks here to replace tourism would be a great thing. It'd probably have to be digital or work from home of some sort, due to shipping costs.

For the folks who don't want to re-educate themselves to work in a non-hands on sort of work, then some sort of higher skill level career other than folding hotel linen would be good. Also, to keep the economy from being dependent on any one thing, we don't want one replacement answer for tourism, but a whole pile of smaller answers. That would make our economy solid and give the folks working here a better quality of life.
With all due respect, that sort of thing is highly unlikely to occur.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu