Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2021, 10:09 AM

6,384 posts, read 4,835,754 times

Advertisements

According to one survey conducted by the Hawaii Tourism Authority, Hawaiians don't want tourists to return:

QUOTE: according to one survey by the Hawaii Tourism Authority, the agency charged with promoting Hawaii around the world, about two-thirds of Hawaiians say they still do not want tourists to return to the islands.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/03/07/t...e=articleShare

Initially, I posted this on an existing thread then decided that it really deserved it's own.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2021, 10:49 AM

"A Year Without Travel".

This is a related story examining other tourist-dependent communities around the world as we approach the one-year anniversary of the Covid-19 shutdown.

Included are examples from Vietnam; Alaska; Paris; Australia; Singapore; and the U.S. Virgin Islands.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...e=articleShare

Old 03-07-2021, 10:57 AM

12,120 posts, read 17,920,952 times
Who cares about tourists when Congress passes out $1.9 Trillion in freeloader aid on top of the other Trillions of freeloader aid.

Now take away free aid for doing nothing - I suspect the survey would change.

I also suspect many of the owners of boarded up businesses did not participate in the survey.

Old 03-07-2021, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
Who cares about tourists when Congress passes out $1.9 Trillion in freeloader aid on top of the other Trillions of freeloader aid.

Now take away free aid for doing nothing - I suspect the survey would change.

I also suspect many of the owners of boarded up businesses did not participate in the survey.
No argument here. Included in the bill, Nancy Pelosi is funding a new subway system for San Jose, Ca. (Her district.)
Chuck Schumer is funding a new bridge connecting New York to Canada. (His district.)

Estimates are that somewhere between 5% and 12% of the money is actually going to Covid-19 relief. The rest is pork.

https://reason.com/2021/03/04/the-co...ted-giveaways/

Related: https://babylonbee.com/news/masked-b...your-grandkids

Quote: WASHINGTON, D.C.—A nefarious gang of masked bandits has voted to steal another few trillion from your grandchildren, investigators confirmed. The mysterious masked culprits are currently wanted for stealing trillions from your grandchildren but have not been apprehended yet and so are continuing to plot more heists.

Old 03-07-2021, 11:25 AM

1,014 posts, read 2,100,473 times
(referring to the starter post)

Interesting reads, thanks for sharing.

From my perspective, having lived in Waikiki for 10 years, the sudden lack of tourists was quite drastic. I found it novel and refreshing at first. But the energy was gone. The wonder and happiness that tourists bring adds a positive vibe to the feel of Waikiki. I live on the Ala Moana side and used to enjoy the friday night fireworks. We moved into a different condo right about a year ago, in a perfect spot to see the fireworks....but there are none. The mall isn’t full of that positive energy either. It’s kind of sad.

I too have no income tied to tourism, but I did enjoy the energy that it brought to the area.

Old 03-07-2021, 12:11 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,920,952 times
Borrowing 1.9 trillion - and the others trillions is fine at near 0% interest if you can justify the ROI. You can’t in this bill.

Most of this bill is needless spending just to spend. Hawaii specifically has $85 million for Native Hawaiian education funding. Huh???? What does that have to do with COVID relief? Shameful.

Old 03-07-2021, 02:49 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,042,466 times
The title says 'Hawaiians', although I suppose they actually mean 'Residents of Hawaii'? In any case, I'm good with less tourism. Some tourism is okay, but we've been way too dependent on it and it's not an industry which pays it's worker very well. Getting some sort of higher income work for the folks here to replace tourism would be a great thing. It'd probably have to be digital or work from home of some sort, due to shipping costs.

For the folks who don't want to re-educate themselves to work in a non-hands on sort of work, then some sort of higher skill level career other than folding hotel linen would be good. Also, to keep the economy from being dependent on any one thing, we don't want one replacement answer for tourism, but a whole pile of smaller answers. That would make our economy solid and give the folks working here a better quality of life.

Old 03-07-2021, 02:50 PM

344 posts, read 251,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Futuremauian View Post
No argument here. Included in the bill, Nancy Pelosi is funding a new subway system for San Jose, Ca. (Her district.)
Chuck Schumer is funding a new bridge connecting New York to Canada. (His district.)

Estimates are that somewhere between 5% and 12% of the money is actually going to Covid-19 relief. The rest is pork.

https://reason.com/2021/03/04/the-co...ted-giveaways/

Related: https://babylonbee.com/news/masked-b...your-grandkids

Quote: WASHINGTON, D.C.—A nefarious gang of masked bandits has voted to steal another few trillion from your grandchildren, investigators confirmed. The mysterious masked culprits are currently wanted for stealing trillions from your grandchildren but have not been apprehended yet and so are continuing to plot more heists.

It would be an interesting discussion to have about tourism.

If you insists on turning it into a political rant, you should at least consider getting your facts correct.
Both of those items were pulled from the bill days before it was passed. The subway system in CA was NOT in Pelosi's districts. But, don't let facts get in the way of a good rant.

By the way, "babylonbee" is satire site (think "theonion"), perhaps consider using a different source when trying to bolster your case.

Old 03-07-2021, 02:53 PM

344 posts, read 251,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
The title says 'Hawaiians', although I suppose they actually mean 'Residents of Hawaii'? In any case, I'm good with less tourism. Some tourism is okay, but we've been way too dependent on it and it's not an industry which pays it's worker very well. Getting some sort of higher income work for the folks here to replace tourism would be a great thing. It'd probably have to be digital or work from home of some sort, due to shipping costs.

For the folks who don't want to re-educate themselves to work in a non-hands on sort of work, then some sort of higher skill level career other than folding hotel linen would be good. Also, to keep the economy from being dependent on any one thing, we don't want one replacement answer for tourism, but a whole pile of smaller answers. That would make our economy solid and give the folks working here a better quality of life.

I think it would be great to diversify the economy here away from so much dependence on tourism. But, it seems it would be better to try to get that in place using the profits from tourism to set up better education opportunities, infrastructure improvements, etc. that can foster growth in those areas.

If we just step right to having less tourism, it is not clear to me how those other areas will ever materialize with out the investment to make them happen. Where will the money for those investments come from in the near and mid-term, if not from tourism?

Old 03-07-2021, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KohalaTransplant View Post
It would be an interesting discussion to have about tourism.

If you insists on turning it into a political rant, you should at least consider getting your facts correct.
Both of those items were pulled from the bill days before it was passed. The subway system in CA was NOT in Pelosi's districts. But, don't let facts get in the way of a good rant.

By the way, "babylonbee" is satire site (think "theonion"), perhaps consider using a different source when trying to bolster your case.
I have no case which needs bolstering and I certainly don't "insist on turning it into a political rant".

I posted the Babylon Bee article because it was funny.

Sorry you have no sense of humor and got your panties all up in a wad!

Enjoy your miserable day. Bah humbug!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu