Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2010, 09:35 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,673,640 times

Advertisements

The location at the airport is not the quarantine station. The actual quarantine facility is not at the airport. The airport is only the transient location. Animals coming in by airplane go there first and are released, or transfered to the quarantine facility. When you hear things about animals in quarantine , they are not talking about the airport location but the actual large off-airport facility.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2010, 01:50 AM

62 posts, read 267,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tymberwulf View Post
Hawaii's quarantine system is still in place for one reason and one reason only, it makes money. With today's rapid testing abilities there is no reason the state can not draw blood from the animal the day it arrives, test it and have a result a week later. Negative and all vet records in order release them, positive and you need to destroy the animal one way or the other.
This is not actually true. All a test can tell you is whether the dog has the vaccine antibodies. There's still an incubation period...

Old 01-15-2010, 09:48 AM

16 posts, read 51,344 times
Default HDOA is not being unreasonable

I was just on the HDOA website for animal quarantine and it is not a terrible process. The 5 Days or Less program is clearly marked as to what needs to be done. I understand that it is an inconvenience, but as international emigration goes this policy is actually quite friendly.

I use PetMovers.com (Animal Land) and I know about 10 different people who have used PetMovers from Euro/USA to New Zealand with no worries. I have also spoken to my Realtor about this as well and again, if you follow the checklist, you will have no worries.

HDOA 5 Day Checklist:
http://hawaii.gov/hdoa/ai/aqs/aqs-checklist-5.pdf

HDOA General Info:
Animal Quarantine Information — Hawaii Department of Agriculture

Now when it comes to the actual quarantine sites, I don't know. I haven't been in any of them so I cannot comment. But my Realtor has connected with two other couples that have moved to Kuaui with dogs & cats within the last 3 months and they followed this checklist, asked questions when they needed to and none of their animals spent a day in quarantine.

It's as the old saying goes:

Proper planning prevents poor performance.

Old 01-16-2010, 04:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikah View Post
I have heard that conditions are not good at the station. There apparently have been many deaths of pets that have puzzled the autopsy vets concerned. They say that the pets just must have died of a "broken heart." If you look at the State brochure it sounds like a jail sentence. I have live in Hawaii for 16 years and have brought my pet twice as a returning native from business trips on the mainland so I have seen the place myself. It is clean and orderly but very spartan. My pet had to stay only a couple of days but I was still concerned. Anybody have advice for newbies arriving with their pets who face internment for 4 months! The Humane Society should look into this.
Pets do not die of broken hearts and neither do people. You say the conditions are clean and orderly... I don't understand the problem, then?

Old 01-16-2010, 04:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazz_nh View Post
The conditions at the facility are horrible, pets are dying and owners have to pay far too much to the state for disqusting conditions.
I'm so confused, where are you guys getting this information? Anyone have a link I might find useful?

Old 01-16-2010, 10:49 AM

9,519 posts, read 14,736,406 times
The lady from Russia needs an attitude adjustment. I lost a cat in quarantine 20 years ago when they were just starting the alternate quarantine program. The facility at that time was clean etc but was NOT staffed at night and that was just long enough for Ronald(the cat) to develop a clogged uretha and die of dehydration. I'm glad they have the alternative program.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu