Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2008, 01:59 PM

3 posts, read 14,317 times

Advertisements

I have heard that conditions are not good at the station. There apparently have been many deaths of pets that have puzzled the autopsy vets concerned. They say that the pets just must have died of a "broken heart." If you look at the State brochure it sounds like a jail sentence. I have live in Hawaii for 16 years and have brought my pet twice as a returning native from business trips on the mainland so I have seen the place myself. It is clean and orderly but very spartan. My pet had to stay only a couple of days but I was still concerned. Anybody have advice for newbies arriving with their pets who face internment for 4 months! The Humane Society should look into this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2008, 11:35 PM

259 posts, read 1,918,372 times
I've been to the station one time and saw some very "lonely" animals, it really broke my heart to see them! My recommendation would be to quarantine your animals on the mainland (with friends or relatives) and when the waiting period is over bring them to the island. This is how we did it,when we moved to HI and all worked out well!

Old 07-16-2008, 10:15 AM

210 posts, read 972,187 times
it is hearbreaking, and pisses me off-the quarantene rule is stupid. absolutely stupid. I am leaving my cat with friends on the mainland, until the wait is over. it is cruel to to do this to pets

Old 07-16-2008, 12:27 PM

3 posts, read 14,317 times
Default Outbreaks of giardia at the station

I recommend that pets get corona virus and giardia vaccinations prior to quarantine which will prevent diarrhea illness and dehydration.

Old 07-16-2008, 12:53 PM

203 posts, read 1,358,074 times
Hawaii has never had a case of rabies; ever. It is attributed to the strict quarantine/transfer of pet rules. So, I hardly find it stupid, personally.

Old 07-16-2008, 03:04 PM

Brav, my cat is fully vaccinated! so there is not a sigle chance she could bring rabies! this is ENOUGH. there is no need to put her in quarantene for 4 months! it is inhuman. my cat has all her vaccines. It is easier for me to take her to russia,then to Hawaii, all i need is a certificate from the doctor that she has her vaccines. Even my vet thinks it is a stupid rule and makes no sence whatsoever. my cat is fully immune to rabies right now.

Old 07-16-2008, 04:51 PM

406 posts, read 866,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JuliaHuff View Post
Brav, my cat is fully vaccinated! so there is not a sigle chance she could bring rabies! this is ENOUGH. there is no need to put her in quarantene for 4 months! it is inhuman. my cat has all her vaccines. It is easier for me to take her to russia,then to Hawaii, all i need is a certificate from the doctor that she has her vaccines. Even my vet thinks it is a stupid rule and makes no sence whatsoever. my cat is fully immune to rabies right now.
You are right, there is no need to quarantine your pet for 4 months. Check the direct release option at http://hawaii.gov/hdoa/ai/aqs/info for forms and proceedures.

The law is there for a reason. Imagine if rabies got in by accident - feral pigs, goats, mules, horses etc. in the rugged, mountainous islands. It could spread like wildefire.

Mickey

Old 07-17-2008, 01:16 PM

Mickey, in order to qualify for direct release, you have to wait 7 months from the first shot! My husband is a doctor, his job starts in two weeks, i am staying behind, because i have to wait 4 months for the direct release. this is so messed up. i dont even want to go and live in Hawaii because of all these rediculous rules. if it was not for my husbands job, i would never go to a place so not welcoming. thats why there are no good doctors or teacher in hawaii-your goverment makes it as hard as possible for people to come and work, it is harded then moving to a foreign country

Old 07-17-2008, 06:19 PM

406 posts, read 866,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JuliaHuff View Post
Mickey, in order to qualify for direct release, you have to wait 7 months from the first shot! My husband is a doctor, his job starts in two weeks, i am staying behind, because i have to wait 4 months for the direct release. this is so messed up. i dont even want to go and live in Hawaii because of all these rediculous rules. if it was not for my husbands job, i would never go to a place so not welcoming. thats why there are no good doctors or teacher in hawaii-your goverment makes it as hard as possible for people to come and work, it is harded then moving to a foreign country
Uuummmm If you checked my location, I am in Dublin, Ohio so it is not [i]my[i] government. I do sympathize, and was just trying to point out something that a lot of people do not know about.

I hope your move works well for you, and after you get to Hawaii you can relax and enjoy living there.

Mickey

Old 07-17-2008, 09:53 PM

1,046 posts, read 4,897,052 times
Have you TRIED moving to a foreign country?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu