Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2013, 11:19 AM

43 posts, read 127,763 times

Advertisements

How is the quarantine facility? Is it humane? Are dogs separated in an individual cage all the time? Anything you know about the facility, please let me know.

We are going to move to Oahu during this summer. We are in military. I am very excited about the move but the biggest concern is our two dogs. I love them to death and they are part of my family. Since the move to Hawaii came up with a short notice, they won't be able to complete the 120 day wait period after the blood work here on the Mainland by the time we move. So either we have to find somebody here to take care of them until the end of the wait period, or we have to make them go to the quarantine in Hawaii, which breaks my heart if the condition is less than ideal.

Thank you for our help in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2013, 11:24 AM

12,120 posts, read 17,910,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taro View Post
So either we have to find somebody here to take care of them until the end of the wait period, or we have to make them go to the quarantine in Hawaii, which breaks my heart if the condition is less than ideal.
I know a few people who did quarantine - both dogs and cats - and they commented it really changed their personalities - and some bounced back better than others. It's not a matter of humane - it is a drastic life change to be locked in a cage day after day.

I'd try to find someone to take care of them - and quarantine is expensive - give that same money to a friend/family to car the pets.

Old 04-11-2013, 02:13 PM

43 posts, read 127,763 times
Thank you very much for the information! Yes, I am now committed to find somebody here to take care of them. I don't mind paying even more than quarantine which is about $1000/pet.

Old 04-11-2013, 02:47 PM

1,730 posts, read 3,811,154 times
I've not visited the station in over a decade, but speaking from previous experience of seeing the cats and dogs there, I'd not put a dog through that experience. A cat would be OK, since they are more independent and can do the feline "wait it out" napping. But the dogs were usually upset and barking, or looking totally lost and confused.

I'd totally leave dogs on the mainland until they could qualify for direct release.

Old 04-11-2013, 02:49 PM

2,299 posts, read 4,826,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taro View Post
Thank you very much for the information! Yes, I am now committed to find somebody here to take care of them. I don't mind paying even more than quarantine which is about $1000/pet.
I strongly recommend having a friend care for them while the bloodwork is complete. Our dog had to be quarantined in Hawaii, but he did bounce back. We visited him everyday, but it broke our hearts to leave him there. He was extremely stressed and lost weight. But again, once home, he bounced back. If my son decides to follow us to Hawaii this time, we will make sure he gets the bloodwork done prior to bringing him over.

Old 04-11-2013, 11:08 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,322,930 times
Mine are with a friend. You might advertise on Craigslist JUST TO GET A FEEL for what's out there. Maybe someone close to a family member could tag-team.

There's a company that will take care of all your paperwork and has limited space to board while your pets wait. It's a bit pricey but it's a great company from what I understand. I mean they take care of EVERYTHING.

Old 04-12-2013, 01:40 AM

32,648 posts, read 48,040,180 times
Double check this, but I am pretty sure that if you start right now, the dog only has to do the remainder of the required time in quarantine. Not the entire 6 months. You could have the time half served by the time you have to move.

I had 2 dogs go through the 6 months in jail when moving to Britain. I went and sat with them 3 days a week, 2 hours each time. As soon as they saw me the very first visit, they relaxed and went through the quarantine just fine. They knew I was there and had not abandoned them.

It was tough on me, and very expensive, but sure beats giving them up.

Old 04-12-2013, 03:26 AM

3 posts, read 7,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCity View Post
I've not visited the station in over a decade, but speaking from previous experience of seeing the cats and dogs there, I'd not put a dog through that experience. A cat would be OK, since they are more independent and can do the feline "wait it out" napping. But the dogs were usually upset and barking, or looking totally lost and confused.

I'd totally leave dogs on the mainland until they could qualify for direct release.
My cat was in the quarantine for only 30 days, she had to complete her wait period. My wife visited every day they were open and sat with her for hours. She was NEVER right or the same after that experience. Broke our hearts.

Old 04-12-2013, 06:04 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,439,744 times
To answer the questions you asked... the quarantine facility in Honolulu is humane, but less than ideal. Each dog has their own indoor pen. Small dogs it's something like 6' x 12', big dogs about double that. They have water, and staff feeds them and cleans the pens. I'd call that minimal.

You can visit them, but only during posted afternoon hours 5 days a week. No Mondays or Fridays.

And for all this "luxury" you will pay over $1,000 on a full 120 day (4 month) quarantine, or about $15/day plus several hundred$ in Admin fees for a shorter stay.

The worst thing about it, in my view, is that all the animals being held there are in distress individually, and they are surrounded by other animals in distress. That adds up to a traumatic experience that some pets never fully recover from.

So all in all, I think it's better to have them complete their waiting period on the mainland with someone who will actually care for them, and then ship them over for direct release when that time is over.

Here is the State's FAQ on animal quarantine: http://hdoa.hawaii.gov/ai/aqs/faq-fo...al-quarantine/

Good luck.

Old 04-13-2013, 02:28 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,322,930 times
I might just start a Quarentine Waiting Period business when I get back to the mainland! I can love dogs with the best of them! That sounds just awful! I'm glad mine stayed in CA but I've got to get them here ... now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
View detailed profiles of: