Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2013, 12:51 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,353,566 times

Advertisements

Drove by the quarantine facility yesterday. It was disturbing to hear dogs barking that I imagined were losing their sanity from being in those pens. If there's any way around it try to avoid it, imo.

My friend said she spent $1000/per cat for her two. Her hubby wasn't happy! But she says her cats are ok. They visited them, to, but still.... yuck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2013, 12:33 AM

2 posts, read 1,851 times
We did the at home quarantine about 2yrs ago. My family put my dog on the plane and I picked her up at the airport. I had to go to the Q facility to pay a "processing fee" (BS) Make sure ur paperwork is on point, signed in ink NOT stamped by secretary! The facility looked awful in my opinion. for the price they charge it should be a bed and breakfast.

Old 05-08-2013, 06:05 PM

43 posts, read 127,858 times
Thank you very much everyone for your inputs. Apologies for my late response. I could finally find somebody here who agreed to take care of the dogs for so long and ship them at the end of the 120 day period. I will pay them for the same or more than the quarantine but that's not an issue. That way I feel less worried about the dogs!

Tux for the info about the company sh helps the paperwork etc. I will look into it.

I am getting more convinced lately that this Hawaii quarantine is more of their money making scheme!

Old 05-08-2013, 07:23 PM

Island Pet Movers - did anybody use this company?
I just discovered that they even have a dog boarding service in Oregon where dogs can spend the 120 wait period.

Hawaii Quarantine Dogs | Hawaii Pet Quarantine | Island Pet Movers

Old 05-08-2013, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taro View Post
Island Pet Movers - did anybody use this company?
I just discovered that they even have a dog boarding service in Oregon where dogs can spend the 120 wait period.

Hawaii Quarantine Dogs | Hawaii Pet Quarantine | Island Pet Movers
That's the one I was thinking of.

YES it's a money-making scheme, I'm convinced too.

MY DOGS WILL BE HERE FRIDAY!!! Direct relaease but they may have to spend the night at the airport if they don't get in before 4:30pm.

Old 05-08-2013, 08:03 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,945,761 times
Why do you think it is money making? Hawaii is rabies free and it is a 120 window to ensure from blood test pass to the time rabies can manifest itself.

Old 05-08-2013, 08:56 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,476,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taro View Post
I am getting more convinced lately that this Hawaii quarantine is more of their money making scheme!
I disagree. I think the State is right to be diligent to keep rabies out of the Hawai'i ecosystem, and it seems to me they have the system set up to create a strong incentive for people to manage their pets' immunization requirements before they leave to travel to the islands.

They've done that by maintaining quarantine facilities that are humane, yet spartan, and expensive. And they've instituted the instant-release program to reward owners who complete all the quarantine requirements in advance on the mainland.

Personally, I think that's just smart, and pretty much the opposite of what they would do if they were trying to make money from the program.

Old 05-08-2013, 11:33 PM

I guess I am not fully convinced why it has to be as long as 120 days? And why is the blood test result not good enough. So far I haven't found any clear answers even from my vet. Not that I can change the law in Hawaii, but I just had to wonder, especially when I read about UK having relaxed their rabies quarantine law.

Old 05-09-2013, 12:11 AM

Taro I'm with ya. After 120 days there's no follow-on testing done. I respect the rabies-free status, don't get me wrong. I've jumped through all hoops. Still, I'm paying $165/dog just to get them off the plane. All paperwork is processed at the same time so, if I had 1 dog or 12, they're still charging me $165/dog.

Old 05-09-2013, 01:08 AM

12,120 posts, read 17,945,761 times
>> A test to show there are sufficient rabies antibodies in the blood, then undergoes a 120-day waiting period before coming to Hawaii. The waiting period ensures that its rabies antibodies are from vaccination, not from having the disease. If the animal has the disease, it would develop symptoms during the waiting period.

Honolulu Star-Bulletin Hawaii News
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
View detailed profiles of: