Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-05-2008, 08:08 PM

3 posts, read 7,694 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are thinking seriously of moving to Oahu in about a year and a half. We have a lot of questions and are hoping that those of you who have experienced living on Oahu can provide us some feedback. That would be so helpful, as we are considering literally selling our house and everything we own, leaving family, and setting off on this adventure, with nothing but the very basics, and our adventurous spirits! We just want to be really sure that we are doing the right thing! Here are some of our questions:

1. We are considering living in downtown Honolulu (or close to downtown) to be able to enjoy the best of both worlds...city living and the tropics/beach lifestyle. Do you recommend this, and also what would be some safe and charming areas for us to consider?

2. Can we enjoy life there without owning a car? We understand that the bus transit system on Oahu is excellent. Can we really get to most places around the island by bus? We will want to travel about to more secluded beaches, local rests, and non-tourist areas, as well as enjoy the downtown areas. Will we be able to do so by bus?

3. We are looking to rent a furnished condo (preferably a one bedroom) for somewhere between $1200 and $1800 per month. Will this be possible?

4. I am a mental health therapist. What do you think the job market will be like for this profession?

5. What is the best way to find housing, once we are ready to move there? We are hearing that it is very difficult to rent a place, before arrving on the island. Is this true? If so, what do most people who move there do to work around this?

6. We are a couple on our late 40's/early 50's (with adult children who will not be moving with us). Do you think we would enjoy downtown living in Honolulu (what is it like there??!!) or is there another area that you think would appeal to us more (with bus access)?

7. Are there grocery stores and other non-tourist type businesses in the downtown area that make living in the area convienent and comfortable?

8. Any other suggestions; advise; warnings; encouragment; etc would be great, as well!!! :-)

Thanks so much in advance for any feedback that you can give us! :-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2008, 12:42 AM

137 posts, read 256,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mysterygirl View Post
My husband and I are thinking seriously of moving to Oahu in about a year and a half. We have a lot of questions and are hoping that those of you who have experienced living on Oahu can provide us some feedback. That would be so helpful, as we are considering literally selling our house and everything we own, leaving family, and setting off on this adventure, with nothing but the very basics, and our adventurous spirits! We just want to be really sure that we are doing the right thing! Here are some of our questions:

1. We are considering living in downtown Honolulu (or close to downtown) to be able to enjoy the best of both worlds...city living and the tropics/beach lifestyle. Do you recommend this, and also what would be some safe and charming areas for us to consider?

By downtown you should mean Waikiki, it's everything downtown living without the financial district, that's 3 miles west

2. Can we enjoy life there without owning a car? We understand that the bus transit system on Oahu is excellent. Can we really get to most places around the island by bus? We will want to travel about to more secluded beaches, local rests, and non-tourist areas, as well as enjoy the downtown areas. Will we be able to do so by bus?

no, get a car, they are actually not that expensive here, and gas, while used to be alot above the mainland, is now about the same. The Bus sucks. But then again I don't like buses. But especially not here. When my car was being shipped from Maui I couldn't wait to go to Sandy Beach, and the bus from Manoa, about 12 miles away took 2.5 hours. I almost freaked.

3. We are looking to rent a furnished condo (preferably a one bedroom) for somewhere between $1200 and $1800 per month. Will this be possible?

don't know about furnished, but that's exactly how much you should expect to pay for something good.

4. I am a mental health therapist. What do you think the job market will be like for this profession?

5. What is the best way to find housing, once we are ready to move there? We are hearing that it is very difficult to rent a place, before arrving on the island. Is this true? If so, what do most people who move there do to work around this?

it helps to know people, but you don't so hmm, craigslist is the best for apartments, there are alot available, and they will get you in quick, so it's not that bad

6. We are a couple on our late 40's/early 50's (with adult children who will not be moving with us). Do you think we would enjoy downtown living in Honolulu (what is it like there??!!) or is there another area that you think would appeal to us more (with bus access)?

no, i don't. i would say makiki. Waikiki is very beach sports and party/nightlife oriented, and like I said, downtown is financial only really.

7. Are there grocery stores and other non-tourist type businesses in the downtown area that make living in the area convienent and comfortable?

plenty, they all suck though, eat well while you can. everyone here goes to costco and out to excellent, but oriental food only, restaurants

8. Any other suggestions; advise; warnings; encouragment; etc would be great, as well!!! :-)

visit first, for some reason alot of trqnsplants don't like it.

Thanks so much in advance for any feedback that you can give us! :-)
see my post in your quote in bold.

Old 10-06-2008, 01:58 AM

682 posts, read 2,796,361 times
1. Agreed with above that you probably don't want downtown. You want "in town." Ala Moana or Makiki are nice, or Punchbowl area. You probably don't want Waikiki (too noisy and full of tourists) or Chinatown (noise, and not as nice an area at night, though it's getting better).

2. It depends on your lifestyle and your level of patience. I commute on the bus, and for close stuff I take the bus. Technically, I could take a bus to the North Shore or Kailua. But they run infrequently, and if you miss it by 5 min, you spend a loooong time waiting for the next one (especially at night or on weekends). If you don't go out too late, and if you don't mind wasting some time on the weekends, it's do-able. But having a beater at least is convenient for shopping (can't bring stuff home from Costco on the bus!) and for getting to more out-of-the-way places.

3. When I was looking just a few months ago, I saw many 2br in the area you would probably want for just a bit more than that, though not furnished. Should be do-able.

5. Craigslist is the way most people go. Some landlords are wary of renting to someone they've never met (understandably). Best thing you can do is to visit in advance of your move date and look for a place. Second best is stay in a hotel for a week or so when you get here while you look for a place, but that can be pricey. Third best is what I did: if you know anyone here, have them check places out for you, and you can send them money so they can write a local check for the first month & deposit. Makes the landlord feel better if you have some local connection, and if they can get paid from a local bank.

6. Again, if you're in town (but not downtown): Ala Moana shopping center and Ala Moana beach park are near. Blaisdell performance center is near. Honolulu Academy of Arts, the state public library, and the State Art Museum are all pretty close. The galleries & restaurants of Chinatown are not too far. Waikiki is not too far. Lots to see & to do, and if you have a car (or rent one on occasion), you can go to more remote areas to commune with nature.

A lot of transplanted mainlanders live in Hawaii Kai (about 10 miles or so from downtown, along the south shore of the island). Again, beaches, shops & restaurants are close. It's really beautiful with canal access and boat launches available with some condo units, if you like that. You can get into town with a single bus, but driving would be easier. A lot of folks end up in Kaneohe also (other side of the island). I don't know that area at all, but a lot of folks love it over there.

7. Sure, there are several grocery stores with easy access both in the Ala Moana / Makiki neighborhood and in Hawaii Kai. Whole Foods is supposed to open in the Ala Moana area ... soon? They're having some problem with the land. There are regular farmers markets all year round, nearly every day somewhere in town and a big one on Saturdays by Diamond Head. Like northoceanbeach said, lots of us do most of our shopping at Costco (near Chinatown and another one right in Hawaii Kai). I buy all produce at the farmers markets and just about everything else at Costco. I only go to supermarkets if I really just need one thing late at night.

8. Moving here is very difficult and very expensive. It's great if the place is a good fit. But it sounds like you're pretty unfamiliar with the area and what it has to offer. You might consider an extended vacation. Stay for 3-4 weeks in the same place. Find a short-term rental with a kitchen that's not a resort right on the beach. See how you like living here, shopping here, cooking here, getting around on the bus. Then see if your plan is still workable. It would be a shame for you to pick up and move here and then not like it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu