Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2012, 11:33 AM

14 posts, read 16,749 times

Advertisements

!!Aloha!!

My wife, a close friend and I are relocating to Oahu, We are trying to secure an apartments/condo or a house would be perfect, we would like to stay below 1500 and be in a somewhat safe, clean area. What are some of the safer/nicer areas withing the budget to look into? my wife and I are caucasian and our friend is Japanese, I'm aware that being white is an issue in some places, I am also half Cuban but look more white. so my questions are..

What areas should I concentrate on for a almost fully Furnished apartment?

Is there any local websites i should consider?

How about work? any local sites that provide a listing of some available positions? there are three of us so it should help lower the cost of living.

Those are my main questions and any answers would be GREATLY appreciated. Thank you for your time and responces! l

Last edited by cnunez617; 06-07-2012 at 11:47 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2012, 12:36 PM

9 posts, read 16,695 times
being white isn't an issue, why do folks keep saying this? the problem is not respecting da aina and its people no matter what color or alien species you belong to. come entitled and feel static from the locals, simple as that. "white" folks live everywhere on the island, including the scariest (cue boogeyman) area of them all, Waianae.

Old 06-07-2012, 12:43 PM

LOL yea i have not experienced it first hand, only have been to visit, not actually live and work, I'm just going on the countless comments I have read. If its a matter of respect, thats anywhere you go, if u aact like an ass u get treated like one. but on top of that i have also read replies from native hawaiians that go into detail on why some people are a little skeptical towards caucasians, some that have no issue and some that just display straight hatred, as I said thats anywhere you go not just hawaii. But anyways thats not what im worried about and not the topic of what im asking but I appreciate your input, thanks

Old 06-07-2012, 01:02 PM

if you're not up to commuting to Honolulu, it will be tough to get a nice place for under 1500 unless you're okay with renting a small space (studio) or older 2 bedroom unit. personally I live on the west side which has better housing options for the price. you can find something decent, but for that price range it's either something newer and small, or something bigger and old/worn. i also don't have to deal with traffic since I'm self employed, so the traffic might be a deal breaker if you decide to work in town where the majority of higher paying jobs are.

if you're a good person, I wouldn't worry about where you live on the island.

Old 06-07-2012, 01:12 PM

I dont mind the traffic, I will prob Bike most the commute if any. what towns over on that end should I look into? any ideas? Yeah we are quiet people who just want to live in paradise and never come back lol. I understand there are issues everywhere, but how can you not have an open heart with all that beauty surrounding you? right? everytime I have vacationed there the people have always been warm and welcoming so I didnt understand how people have such negative views, but everyone has different experiences.

Old 06-07-2012, 01:33 PM

personally I like waipio/waipahu side and kapolei/makakilo. it's about 10-15 miles to Honolulu.

Old 06-07-2012, 02:52 PM

285 posts, read 1,084,724 times
Waianae is not bad for a "white" person, like you said just respect, and treat people like you like to be treated and there is no problems.

Old 06-07-2012, 02:55 PM

[quote=timbo31958;24645941]Waianae is not bad for a "white" person, like you said just respect, and treat people like you like to be treated and there is no problems.[/QUOTE

How is it for price, for a 2bd? ]

Old 06-07-2012, 04:24 PM

48,589 posts, read 35,055,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cnunez617 View Post
I dont mind the traffic, I will prob Bike most the commute if any. what towns over on that end should I look into? any ideas? Yeah we are quiet people who just want to live in paradise and never come back lol. I understand there are issues everywhere, but how can you not have an open heart with all that beauty surrounding you? right? everytime I have vacationed there the people have always been warm and welcoming so I didnt understand how people have such negative views, but everyone has different experiences.
As in bicycle?! From the Ewa side to Honolulu?!

Old 06-07-2012, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
As in bicycle?! From the Ewa side to Honolulu?!
Yes, not specifically that area but yes, my current bike ride is 20.4 miles, up and down Sf hills from daly city,
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu