Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2012, 08:41 PM

14 posts, read 16,716 times

Advertisements

Yeah I know IN honolulu there is no way that is going to happen, I am fine with living a 1/2 hour to 45 away. No problem, yeah almost anywhere in the states lags SF wages, one of the top paying cities. I see that my range isnt gunna get me the ritz, I just want a somewhat decent place to rest my head, Most likely for the first couple years I will barely be home anyway, just out exploring. excuse any typo's my keyboard is screwed up
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2012, 09:04 PM

48,556 posts, read 34,920,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cnunez617 View Post
I am asking around 1500 to make up for the cost of goods. I have seen a couple that i contact and are pretty much taken instantly. In San Fran I live in a Open floor 1bd/studio in North Beach for 2400.00 but I am making a lot more money here than I will be down there. I plan to basically live on savings for the first few months. Doesnt need to be fully furnished I would just prefer it. Im really just looking for a 2bd in a safe nice quiet area in that price range. You find san fran rent to be cheaper?? where in san fran are you looking? for a good area and a good home your not going to find a studio for less than 1800, not saying you cant find one cheaper, I am saying you wont find a Good one.
No, I'm saying our housing prices are the same. And yes, here you WILL make less money here. And you WILL pay more for utilities and food. And gas.

I'm saying you will not find a $1500 per month 2 bdrm in a good neighborhood, furnished or unfurnished. I'm saying you cannot commute from the areas you can afford on a bike or moped.

I'll be purchasing, not renting.

Old 06-07-2012, 09:40 PM

OO0o I see, the sale prices are similar. alright we r on the same page i think now. I was saying rent prices are def not the same SF is far more pricey. I will have a car too and saving a couple hundred dollars and sitting in traffic for an hour or so I can deal with that. If i find something in biking distance thats great, if not its okay too. Im just on here asking where should I look if it was possible to come across something like that . Thats what im trying to find out, actually where to look period. Im researching but im on the mainland and would like some points in the right directions from people living local. I appreciate your input though and am accepting any other thoughts you may have relative to my original post. thank you

Old 06-07-2012, 09:50 PM

48,556 posts, read 34,920,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cnunez617 View Post
OO0o I see, the sale prices are similar. alright we r on the same page i think now. I was saying rent prices are def not the same SF is far more pricey. I will have a car too and saving a couple hundred dollars and sitting in traffic for an hour or so I can deal with that. If i find something in biking distance thats great, if not its okay too. Im just on here asking where should I look if it was possible to come across something like that . Thats what im trying to find out, actually where to look period. Im researching but im on the mainland and would like some points in the right directions from people living local. I appreciate your input though and am accepting any other thoughts you may have relative to my original post. thank you
Well if you are finding that rental prices are more in SF, you should have no problem.

I have no idea where you would find a 2 bedroom in a nice neighborhood for $1500. Perhaps try the North Shore?

I worked as a head hunter for about a year..... I had tons of people say the cost of living here was more so they should be making more..... I told them to call me in 6 months.

Old 06-07-2012, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Well if you are finding that rental prices are more in SF, you should have no problem.

I have no idea where you would find a 2 bedroom in a nice neighborhood for $1500. Perhaps try the North Shore?

I worked as a head hunter for about a year..... I had tons of people say the cost of living here was more so they should be making more..... I told them to call me in 6 months.

In Oahu? yeah lol want to live in paradise you have to pay for it right? lol I mean the prices there are not completely outrageous, they are high yes? some of which doesnt make sense but most of it does, its an island in the middle of the ocean. ever try sending just a 30lb box to hawaii? its a pretty penny imagine that in mass scale of product. The customer has to pay for all that too. so it is what it is. people need to not complain about it and just enjoy the island life. if they dont, they probably shouldnt be moving to or living there if they have the option of not. anyways, back to subject...
I am just looking in that price range i dont ant anything fancy, just want to get grounded learn my way around, see whats going on and then i'll know where to go later down the road. i would just like to see where people say to go for relatively low cost that is not completely torn apart.

Old 06-07-2012, 10:57 PM

14 posts, read 21,262 times
I would just look at actual rentals on Zillow.com or Craigslist.com... but of course do not send any type of deposit before viewing the place. Recently I came across my house for rent along with pictures of inside my house with MY furniture and belongings. I inquired and was told to send a deposit to the UK LOL

Anyway, I am in the final stagings of a job interview that would be in Honolulu. I have been looking and keep having to increase the max rent. I'm thinking to live in a decent place... seems mainly to be apartments I would have to pay at least $3,000 and they don't look that nice and most don't have central A/C. Overall they look pretty run down and outdated. I just want to be as comfortable as possible and live near a beach.. I started looking at places in Kailua but most seem to be over $4,000. My job is covering up to $4,000 living expenses on top of my salary but I definitely believe I am going to have to get there first and probably look for a while before I find a place I like. I am not expecting to live in luxury. I want to enjoy the beautiful tropical environment.

On a positive note it seems that pay rates are increasing for my field at least... not sure about other fields. I'm an IT PM and have been calls from recruiters periodically about jobs in Hawaii. The rates I am being quotes now are more reasonable than last year. I am also trying to sort out what I should bring and what I should buy there. I just joined this forum yesterday so I have a lot of reading to do.

I always try to keep in mind when reading forums like these is that what one person calls expensive another might call cheap. Also the same applies to a "safe" neighborhood. I love where I live in Atlanta, which is considered an up and coming trendy neighborhood... some people are scared to visit and would never live hear. I have heard that Hawaii is full of drug addicts... I listen to all opinions and might try to look up some statistics. I also lived in Kingston, Jamaica for almost 4 years which is considered one of the most dangerous cities in the world. Luckily I survived

Old 06-07-2012, 11:14 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,930,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmandaAtl View Post
I would just look at actual rentals on Zillow.com or Craigslist.com... but of course do not send any type of deposit before viewing the place.

Anyway, I am in the final stagings of a job interview that would be in Honolulu. I have been looking and keep having to increase the max rent. I'm thinking to live in a decent place... seems mainly to be apartments I would have to pay at least $3,000 and they don't look that nice and most don't have central A/C. Overall they look pretty run down and outdated. I just want to be as comfortable as possible and live near a beach.. I started looking at places in Kailua but most seem to be over $4,000. My job is covering up to $4,000 living expenses on top of my salary but I definitely believe I am going to have to get there first and probably look for a while before I find a place I like. I am not expecting to live in luxury. I want to enjoy the beautiful tropical environment.
To the other poster who is at $1,500 for a 2 bedroom - if you can get your budget up to $2,000 you can find some decent rentals in Aiea - $1,500 is really cutting it close for what you are seeking. Possible, I guess - but that is a really low budget for your wish list.

For this poster I quoted. Kailua is tough to find things in the $3,000 range with central AC - although you can find a lot of places in that price range. $3,000 will get you a very nice unit in lets say, the Moana Pacific with great views, a huge pool, fitness center, close to everthing - with central AC. That budget will also get you nice places in Hawaii Kai (as nice as Kailua and same commute). $3,000 opens a lot of possibilites and you should be able to get a nice place with an ocean view with that budget, just not Waikiki (unless you want a small place) or Kailua - try St. Louis Heights also.

Oh, and skip Zillow - lots of bogus stuff on there.

Old 06-07-2012, 11:15 PM

14 posts, read 23,666 times
Hi cnunez617
I've lived here all my 33 years...and planning to move out of state next summer...everything has gotten so expensive in the past five years, too costly to raise 4 kids and no space unless you've got lots of money...anyways you might want to check out Salt Lake side. There are tons of apartments there and I think you can ride Nimitz Hwy all the way to Honolulu, never tried it though....check out this website too [url]http://www.hawaiisclassifieds.com/.. craigslist might have some but you gotta watch for scammers...anything else I can help you with let me know...

Last edited by free2b-us; 06-08-2012 at 12:35 AM..

Old 06-07-2012, 11:19 PM

6 posts, read 8,069 times
I think looking for something furnished is the limiting factor. A unfurnished place gives you a better bang for buck. Just cruise the good nieghborhoods...(kahala,hawaii kai,) the day before bulk pick up, hit a couple of garage sales, day at the swap meet, craigslist and you`ll be set. I like the salt lake, aiea, pearl city side of town. I lived in makiki for 7yrs and rode my bike too sand island every day.

Old 06-08-2012, 12:56 AM

2 posts, read 2,295 times
not sure why folks are saying you can't ride bike here. I live in Waipahu and I've ridden from home to Hawaii Kai so riding from say Waipahu or Waipio area to town is not a problem there is a bike path from Waipahu to around Pearl Harbor and from there you end up on the road till about Nimitz. as far as rent I would say Zillow or craigslist. every neighborhood here has its good areas and its bad areas, Waipahu has its crack heads and so does Kahala so the rich neighborhoods aren't immune. do not leave valuables in your car...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu