Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2010, 07:24 PM

2,126 posts, read 2,382,601 times

Advertisements

I don't know if the "orgy" reference was in response to my mention of Rainbow gatherings, but I certainly don't equate the two. The only nude beach I know of was on the Big Island (don't even know if it is legal nude) and is commonly known as the "hippie beach." And yes, they regularly have gatherings with drumming and singing etc, seems like a Rainbow gathering. So I was merely saying, if that's not your thing, you might not enjoy it! It's a beautiful beach and I meant no disrespect to hippies. I also don't know how the o word came up in the conversation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2012, 05:06 PM

2 posts, read 4,780 times
Hello,
Actually the truth of the matter is there ARE nude beaches in Hawaii. This is true even on O'ahu. When the beach already has the reputation of being a nude beach it is now fully legal to go au-naturale.

The Hawaii State Supreme Court ruled that if someone strips naked for the clear purpose of being a punk and sexually offending others, then they can be prosecuted under indecent conduct laws. However, at a nude beach, if the person does what would be normal behavior on a "regular beach" (ie. sun bathing, swimming, just while nude) then no lewd behavior is considered to exist.

For any more beaches to be declared "nude beaches" would require an act of the Legislature. However, while I would like for this to happen, I doubt it.

Last edited by 7th generation; 05-06-2012 at 06:57 AM.. Reason: new members cannot post links here

Old 06-12-2013, 08:28 PM

36 posts, read 89,419 times
I dont see the big deal if it is private and no one is bothering anyone then they shouldnt be bothered either. Been to Haulover in North Miami several times its the only recognized nude beach in the Mainland. People were friendly and they dont stare. Recreational nudism in its place is an exepted practice in most countries especially europe.

Old 06-12-2013, 09:58 PM

189 posts, read 283,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sulkow82 View Post
Hello,
Actually the truth of the matter is there ARE nude beaches in Hawaii. This is true even on O'ahu. When the beach already has the reputation of being a nude beach it is now fully legal to go au-naturale.

The Hawaii State Supreme Court ruled that if someone strips naked for the clear purpose of being a punk and sexually offending others, then they can be prosecuted under indecent conduct laws. However, at a nude beach, if the person does what would be normal behavior on a "regular beach" (ie. sun bathing, swimming, just while nude) then no lewd behavior is considered to exist.

For any more beaches to be declared "nude beaches" would require an act of the Legislature. However, while I would like for this to happen, I doubt it.
I live on the BI and can attest to the fact that there are definitely beaches where this is occurs. Part of it is definitely due to the Kailua-Kona side, where many European tourists are common. I would probably not want to be naked in any wai puna, so would probably stick to the warmer beaches of KK I swim nude when I can and have not had any problems on the BI. Again, it is a bit more 'laid back' here and not much is ever really an issue.

Again, nude bathing for the purpose of sunbathing/swimming is completely appropriate and I think any attorney would be hard pressed to prosecute. I suppose it could happen, but the HSSC ruling is pretty clear, so stick within those boundaries and you should be fine.

The area of Puna (on the BI) is pretty 'open' - I don't have a count but there are probably some B&Bs that have some clothing optional inns. Again, do not quote me on this, as I have not checked it out in a while. But you could always start there if you would like to know. I know your question pertains to O'ahu, but I am unsure of if you would change your travel plans/etc, so just giving info out!

Old 06-12-2013, 11:55 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,329,285 times
ewwwww! There are people who shouldn't even strip down to bathing suits! Okay, that's not fair but please... modesty is so much more attractive! (okay, go ahead and flame me)

Old 06-13-2013, 10:35 AM

189 posts, read 283,005 times
I don't think anyone's gonna flame you hear bro

Most of us understand to each his/her own! Part of why most of us love living in Hawai'i!

Old 06-13-2013, 02:34 PM

32,659 posts, read 48,067,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
ewwwww! There are people who shouldn't even strip down to bathing suits! Okay, that's not fair but please... modesty is so much more attractive! (okay, go ahead and flame me)
I hope this isn't taken as a flame.

Nudism is about being comfortable with your own body. It is not about providing eye candy for the onlookers.

Old 06-13-2013, 03:33 PM

Indecent Exposure is appropriately labelled. What's eye candy for some is offensive for others. So basically, I don't care if the winners of the Miss and Mr Universe bodybuilding competition is on the beach, there are parts of their bodies I don't want my children looking at.

But I totally admire those who are comfortable with their own bodies. I say, if you're not, then do what you can about it or change your outlook. Life's too short to not be comfortable with what God gave you. I don't think we ALL have to be comfortable with what God gave you.

I think there must be a teensy bit of exhibitionism in those who like to be nude in public.

Cool t-shirt I saw --> don't bro me if you don't know me ROFLMBO!!! um...sorry. I'm a horse enthusiast of the English persuasion and female, despite the moniker. It's a riding style and my forum name on many boards so... I figure I won't forget it so I just use it here. (I love this place!) And you can bro me any time!

Old 06-13-2013, 03:35 PM

btw, I'm all for giving "those people" their own place to run around nekid! There are vacation spots that cater to them! I prefer to not go there. I have friends who do.

Old 06-13-2013, 07:36 PM

36 posts, read 89,419 times
Well who in their right mind would take kids to a nude beach anyway. Seculed away from the main stream a place not easy to get to. Has to be the right area. Im sure they are there. Just not the people that post on here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
View detailed profiles of: