Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-02-2010, 05:44 PM

60 posts, read 245,244 times

Advertisements

We are moving to Oahu in September (military orders). Does anyone know about off-leash dog areas, either parks or beaches? And if so, what are the requirements?

Where I currently live, in a suburb of Washington D.C., we dont have beaches (obviously) and there is an off-leash, fenced dog area in my neighborhood but besides certain county licsense regulations (totally fine), they don't allow children under 12 in them, which doesn't help me because I have a 6 year old.

So needless to say, my dog isn't off-leash anywhere but inside the house and isn't, at this point, well trained enough to my liking to allow her off-leash, but if there are areas in Oahu, I can start working with her. Knowing, of course, that I won't let her off if I don't feel she is ready for it.

Thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2010, 08:18 PM

682 posts, read 2,793,881 times
The Honolulu Humane Society maintains a list of dog-friendly parks & beaches. Check out the "Animal-Related Information" tab on their website E Komo Mai! | Hawaiian Humane Society. (If your dog likes on-leash hiking, you can also check out their once-a-month "Paws on the Path" hikes... my dog loves them, and it's a good way to learn about some of the dog-friendly trails on Oahu. You can find info about upcoming hikes here Dog Hiking | Hawaiian Humane Society (http://www.hawaiianhumane.org/dog_hiking.html - broken link))

Many but not all beaches are dog friendly, and though there are technically leash laws, there are lots of places where well-behaved dogs romp off-leash in the sand, as long as they aren't bothering anyone. (I like to take my dog to the less-crowded end of Kailua beach, and mornings are the best time for fewer people and more dogs.)

It's hard to give specific rec's unless you know where you're going to be living, though. If you're in Ewa, you probably won't want to drive to Diamond Head for their off-leash park, for example. Once you get here and walk your dog around the neighborhood, you'll meet neighbors who have dogs, and they'll give you the local information.

Old 06-03-2010, 07:39 AM

I'll check out those links. Thanks for the information!

Old 06-03-2010, 09:08 PM

95 posts, read 296,210 times
Several military housing areas have been re-designed with dog parks in them. Contact the Hawaii military housing offices to find out which ones in addition to the public dog parks.....

Old 06-04-2010, 02:27 PM

Oh, also good to know. Thank you. We will be living on military housing although not sure at this point which.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
View detailed profiles of: