Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2009, 09:35 PM

2 posts, read 4,475 times

Advertisements

Anyone know roughly how much it'll cost to bring a car over to Hawaii? Me and the wife are thinking of taking a job in Honolulu. Any thoughts or opinions from anyone about life in Hawaii??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2009, 09:37 PM

3,752 posts, read 11,540,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemoney View Post
Anyone know roughly how much it'll cost to bring a car over to Hawaii? Me and the wife are thinking of taking a job in Honolulu. Any thoughts or opinions from anyone about life in Hawaii??
About $1,100 from any of the 3 major ports in California: Long Beach, Oakland or Seattle.

Old 09-01-2009, 07:12 PM

501 posts, read 1,195,207 times
Matson will ship your vehicle for about $1100, which you will need to make a reservation for shipment, but keep in mind it will take several weeks to arrive.
What island are you going to be living on? If you are looking at Oahu, then my suggestion is to consider Aiea, a small town which is just across from Pearl Harbor...

Old 09-01-2009, 07:29 PM

Matson, Pasha and Horizon are the 3 carriers. There are brokers who also will ship your car but your car will most likely arrive on one of the 3 companies ships anyway. Look at the cutoff dates on their websites. If you miss delivering your car by the cutoff date, it will sit at that port until the next ship gets loaded, which can be another 7-10 days wait.

Old 09-01-2009, 08:42 PM

2,624 posts, read 7,277,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdand3boys View Post
About $1,100 from any of the 3 major ports in California: Long Beach, Oakland or Seattle.
That should probably be "Long Beach, Oakland, and San Diego." The California Legislature sold Seattle to the State of Washington to raise some much-needed cash.

Old 09-01-2009, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonah K View Post
That should probably be "Long Beach, Oakland, and San Diego." The California Legislature sold Seattle to the State of Washington to raise some much-needed cash.
OH, give me a break. You know what I meant. WEST COAST PORTS.

Old 09-01-2009, 10:18 PM

30 posts, read 167,064 times
I read a thread somewhere, I don't remember if it was this site or not, but the person's car arrived in hawaii with rust all over it and it was a newer car. Apparently the car sat around at the dock for a length of time, and then was shipped in the open air on the boat allowing salt water to hit it and cause the rust. You might want to make sure whatever company you choose ships the car in a cargo container.

Old 09-01-2009, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradise Calling View Post
I read a thread somewhere, I don't remember if it was this site or not, but the person's car arrived in hawaii with rust all over it and it was a newer car. Apparently the car sat around at the dock for a length of time, and then was shipped in the open air on the boat allowing salt water to hit it and cause the rust. You might want to make sure whatever company you choose ships the car in a cargo container.
It would have to sit a long time to get rust. It would not have sat more than 10 days in the parking lot by the port and then spent about 7-12 days on the ship. Cars get exposed to massive amounts of salt in mainland snow belt areas for months at a time, year after year. They don't rust in one winter.

Old 09-01-2009, 11:03 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,724,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdand3boys View Post
It would have to sit a long time to get rust. It would not have sat more than 10 days in the parking lot by the port and then spent about 7-12 days on the ship. Cars get exposed to massive amounts of salt in mainland snow belt areas for months at a time, year after year. They don't rust in one winter.
The longest a car will sit on a dock if contracted directly with the shipper is 14 days MAX. One is a 14 day cycle, the other's are 5 and 6 days only. Add another 6 days of actual transit and the very most would be 20 days. If a car rust from 14 days in a parking lot and 6 days at sea (most likely inside like an enclosed ferry), something was very wrong with the paint on that car and would probably rusted away after a few months on Hawaii.Most likely they contracted with a thrird party shipper. They picked the car up, had it sit around someplace until they shipped it to the west coast dock. maybe that was done in an open car carrier. It sat unprotected at the docks waiting for the specific shipping date of that bulk discount or until they had enough vehicles to use the cheap rate. That rate was for on deck or an open area unprotected inside. It sat around for some weeks in Hawaii as the 3rd party company made sure yout credit card cleared and they finally ponied up the money to the shipping company.I agree with md that the exposure to salt air and water during shipping is nothing compared to a week in a snowy area where salt is used.

Old 09-02-2009, 05:18 AM

1,234 posts, read 4,599,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradise Calling View Post
I would wax it first
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
View detailed profiles of: