Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2009, 07:13 PM

501 posts, read 1,192,986 times

Advertisements

Jessica....
You'll be spending about $1000 for a one way vehicle shipment if you go with Matson, and that's dropping it off at one of the docks, usually located in California. You are not allowed to put anything in your vehicle, either. Vehicle prices on the island are pretty reasonable. You are better off selling everything you have and buying it on the island, cause it's less expensive to do that rather than ship your items. If you still decide to ship, you should consider a freight company (Yellow Freight, etc.) as they are less expensive than container shipments. If you go with a container company, get several quotes rather than going with the first one...you'll see the difference in pricing.

We lived on Oahu back in 2005, and will be returning permanently in the next month. It was a nightmare (once I got over sticker shock) as to how much things were at the time (we came from Texas). I never dreamed of paying so much for milk, but we quickly adapted and had a wonderful time there. We had shipped our car over, sold our furniture, and sent our household items in boxes via FedEx, so we could track them. It was quite easy to replenish our furniture and we didn't miss anything we sold. Then when we returned to the mainland, we sold furniture, shipped household items via Yellow Freight, and sent the car by Matson once again. This time we are selling our car, and buying one on the island; selling everything and buying it ALL from over there (Craigslist), just to save $$.

Good luck to you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2009, 09:20 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,053,862 times
Since it is a temporary move for you, is there anyplace you can stash all your stuff and just bring the bare necessities? There are loads of vacation rentals available which are already furnished, you could try calling some of the VRBO owners and negotiate better prices if you stay long term?

Old 09-16-2009, 07:33 PM

501 posts, read 1,192,986 times
Excellent source.. VRBO.com . We checked it out over the weekend...definitely worth trying to find a rental on there. :-)

Old 09-16-2009, 11:12 PM

3,752 posts, read 11,519,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by from nv View Post
Excellent source.. VRBO.com . We checked it out over the weekend...definitely worth trying to find a rental on there. :-)
vrbo.com also offers up to a $5000 guarantee that things will be "right". Craigslist has no guarantee of anything except possible scams...

Old 10-06-2009, 11:56 AM

28 posts, read 75,678 times
Listen to your kids. I feel extremely sorry for your kids because they should be raised with consitency. Your kids, as well as you, will face racial discrimination in Hawaii. Take it from someone who has 2 boys in school. It's ugly and like many people whom have responded to your attempt at justifing uprooting your kids are aware, but do not want talk about the white elephant in the room, it is ever so prominent. Proceed with caution, something else always looks good when in reality you have got everything your family needs. Once it's gone you can't take it back. Sounds like you want to listen to everyone else except your kids.

Old 10-06-2009, 12:40 PM

263 posts, read 868,085 times
My two cents for what it's worth. I wasn't born in Hawaii but I grew up here. I don't "look local". If you're Puerto Rican you and your children should blend better than I do. I stick out like a sore thumb. I've attended local public schools and a local private school. I can honestly say that in my 30 some years in Hawaii I haven't experienced racial discrimination. Ever. Neither has the rest of my family. I've lived in Honolulu, Kailua, Kaimuki, and various other parts of the island.

It's not all a bed of roses. Depsite what tourist brochures may say, this isn't paradise. There are kids and adults who don't like newcomers from the Mainland but the vast majority of people that I know, live next to, work with are not like that. What you put out you get back. Do you know what I mean? I sometimes hear people from the Mainland complain about how slow things are here, how you don't have everything you can find on the Mainland, blah blah. If you're going to live on a small isolated state in the middle of the Pacific you have to expect the island mentality is different. A bumpersticker I've seen sums it up best "This ain't the Mainland."

If you're looking to introduce your children to different cultures as you said Hawaii can be a great starting point. It's a state but it's so different from the other Mainland states. It's a stewpot. We have Japanese, Chinese, Korean, Vietnamese, Micronesians, Samoans, Tongans, Mainland transplants, Hawaiians, etc. There are all sorts of festival and cultural events throughout the year. You won't find it hard at all to experience different cuisines and cultures.

Hawaii isn't for everyone but then again what state is perfect for everyone?

Old 10-06-2009, 02:24 PM

1,234 posts, read 4,592,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Afishwithabike View Post
My two cents for what it's worth. I wasn't born in Hawaii but I grew up here. I don't "look local". If you're Puerto Rican you and your children should blend better than I do. I stick out like a sore thumb. I've attended local public schools and a local private school. I can honestly say that in my 30 some years in Hawaii I haven't experienced racial discrimination. Ever. Neither has the rest of my family. I've lived in Honolulu, Kailua, Kaimuki, and various other parts of the island.

It's not all a bed of roses. Depsite what tourist brochures may say, this isn't paradise. There are kids and adults who don't like newcomers from the Mainland but the vast majority of people that I know, live next to, work with are not like that. What you put out you get back. Do you know what I mean? I sometimes hear people from the Mainland complain about how slow things are here, how you don't have everything you can find on the Mainland, blah blah. If you're going to live on a small isolated state in the middle of the Pacific you have to expect the island mentality is different. A bumpersticker I've seen sums it up best "This ain't the Mainland."

If you're looking to introduce your children to different cultures as you said Hawaii can be a great starting point. It's a state but it's so different from the other Mainland states. It's a stewpot. We have Japanese, Chinese, Korean, Vietnamese, Micronesians, Samoans, Tongans, Mainland transplants, Hawaiians, etc. There are all sorts of festival and cultural events throughout the year. You won't find it hard at all to experience different cuisines and cultures.

Hawaii isn't for everyone but then again what state is perfect for everyone?
Very well said! Rep points for you
I agree with what you say. Not to say the the other posters are wrong but you will find racism anywhere and if your a jerk it will hit you in the face but if you respectful you will be hard pressed to find it . I have grown up in So Cal close to the worse parts of the cities and have traveled to most of the country work in the projects and have not had an issue its all how you treat people and just act. Just my opinion.

Old 10-06-2009, 06:08 PM

292 posts, read 949,297 times
Racism is where you make it. I grew up in an inner city in northern NJ. I lived in Harlem for 4 years.
I have traveled to Morocco, Egypt, Kenya and Ethiopia, among many other places. I have met many peoples in foreign lands who are have been said to be anti-American. I have without exception found them to be gracious and open if you do not approach them with any preconceived ideas or with malice. My daughter is Ethiopian, my son is 1/2 Chinese and I have blond hair and blue eyes.
If you meet and treat people with respect first and foremost, you will reap what you sow. My life has taught me many lessons and this has always been a very important one.

Old 10-07-2009, 11:09 PM

259 posts, read 1,918,752 times
I'm with vinty...I used to live on Oahu in KO' olina. it's very difficult for teenagers to adjust to Hawaii. If I had a nickel for the amount of times I've heard parents say how their kids hate Hawaii.....more than one person has had to send teenagers back to live with a family member, while the parents had to stay and finish out their job on the island. The schools are very bad, unless you can pay for private schooling there (about 10g a year).

Old 10-08-2009, 02:47 AM

2,270 posts, read 4,128,504 times
Yes, teenagers would NEVER want to come up with reasons to live away from their immediate family!
Racism exists everywhere but when you go 'looking' for it it is all but guaranteed that you will find what you are looking for.

It was nice for once not to have to 'subtly ask' the realtor "where we should look for a home" because for every other Military PCS over 23 years we were the 'brown ones' with the whites saying "but we LOVE everyone; but you may not wish to stay out after dark in 'this or that' section, while every white child/teenager went about their day without one thought for how the brown kids were going to make it home safely if football practice ran over a little and the was no ride available.

Simply because you have never dealt with racism as a white (0r pale skinned) person certainly does not mean that it does not exist. Things occur everywhere- it is how YOU handle a situation that defines who you are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu