Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-04-2009, 10:14 PM

8 posts, read 21,933 times

Advertisements

Aloha! I am moving to Oahu this coming January. I've been there before and was living with a local family, who has been extremely helpful in answering my questions but I still have a few more!

I am wondering what the best bank on the island is? I have heard good things about a couple of them but am looking for free checking and decent amount of locations.

In addition, I was wondering what "professional wear" would be for a young professional female? I had heard I should wear a skirt suit for interviews and from there, just go by what other people are wearing. I will be searching for any job that I am qualified for since I will be a recent college grad... figure I can't be very picky. Also, any other job tips would be more than welcome.

I know there are also some areas that I had been told not to move to, but honestly cannot remember which ones. I grew up in Boston so I am used to cities but prefer living in suburbs and will likely move either to the windward side or the north shore.

I am also curious about meeting people. I am moving to the island alone and the family I stayed with will be moving to the Big Island shortly after I arrive. I am hoping to get roommates and network through them and through whatever job I get. I am not a big partier and don't thrive on the nightlife like a lot of people my age so I am looking for any ideas on meeting new people. I am very friendly and outgoing so I don't think it will be too much of a problem.

Thank you in advance for any advice!

Mahalo!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2009, 11:43 AM

11,053 posts, read 24,072,228 times
Ask the family you stayed with for their advice. They may be able to find you a new family to stay with.

Meeting people isn't a problem although the density of population makes it difficult sometimes. If you go to crowded areas - you would think that's where you'd meet all the people, right? If you go to crowded areas folks are busy not seeing each other because they are all crowded together. If you find areas where the folks are less crowded, then they have the space to "see" other people.

When going for interviews, look the business over first and see what the other folks there are wearing. Dressing isn't as formal as on the mainland, but fitting in is really important. You may want to get some of your clothes locally so you will seem to fit in better. I'd think a skirt suit would be way overkill unless it was a fairly professional type job.

The best area to live in would be one close to your employment, but until you get that it is hard to figure out what would be close to there. Areas you may want to look for rooms in would be Kailua, Hawaii Kai, Kahala, Diamond Head, Kaimuki, Aiea, Kaneohe, Manoa and areas such as that. If you wanted to share an apartment, then Makiki, Ala Moana and other housing areas near downtown might work.

Can you stay with the family you stayed with before for a week or two until you find a place?

Old 11-05-2009, 08:08 PM

8 posts, read 21,933 times
I will be staying with the family when I first arrive and have talked to a few people about renting rooms in their homes.

Thank you for the other information! I suppose I am mostly concerned with types of material and what would be considered professional since I am from a much colder state and here people would wear sweaters and nice pants... not really going to work well in Hawaii.

Thank you again!

Old 11-05-2009, 08:30 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,072,228 times
Cotton, linen and silk are all good fabrics. They stay nice and cool during the summer and are warm in the winter. Polyester and other synthetic fabrics are miserable to wear. They don't breathe well enough to be worn in a warm humid climate. Also, tight clothing is much warmer than loose clothing so folks will generally wear styles that are looser than may be typical on the mainland.

Save a few of your favorite sweaters, though. After you've been here a few years and have become acclimatized, you will want them when it gets really cold during the winter.

Old 11-06-2009, 08:07 AM

1,178 posts, read 5,946,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OceanBlue87 View Post
I am wondering what the best bank on the island is?
Read this thread, and the one it links to:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/hawai...highlight=Bank
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu