Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-17-2010, 02:57 PM

6 posts, read 49,545 times

Advertisements

are there any opportunities on oahu for doing some backpacking? and i don't mean riding a bus around the island while wearing a big backpack and then either camping or staying in a hostel. i mean, are there trails where one can hike in some miles and then set up camp?

does anyone have any personal experience in this area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2010, 03:06 PM

168 posts, read 726,820 times
there's tons of opportunities for it but be careful. it seems like every week or so there's another story in the paper about a hiker dead or lost somewhere. sorry, no specific tips or areas but i'm sure somebody will chime in w/ some great tips.

Old 02-17-2010, 07:42 PM

312 posts, read 1,375,065 times
to my knowledge, i can't think of any actual backpacking and camping on O'ahu. But, the other islands have so many opportunities for backpacking and are so very close, it's def worth the tiny plane ticket over. My favorites are the big boys; Kalalau Trail on Kaua'i and Muliwai into Waimanu on Big Island. The second of these two isn't as far of a hike, but has always been more secluded for me. There are multiple, and very very different kinds of backpacking on these islands. Check 'em out if you can make it over for any of these! Let me know if you have any questions!
Haylan

Old 02-18-2010, 02:02 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,760,101 times
The constant rain renders the trails slippery and dangerous.

Old 02-21-2010, 04:30 PM

74 posts, read 334,072 times
There are a number of trails on O'ahu that are backpackable and can be camped along. However, the vast majority aren't the type w/ cabins or even established campgrounds; you often have to make your own, i.e. whack out a spot in the grass, set up under a tree or a little ways from a stream.

Water has been a recent problem and many stream areas that used to have much better flow have been noticeably decreased or even dry over the past year. This cut down on the mosquitoes but makes it more difficult to camp out. You may have to pack in your own water and of course you should always carry some sort of purification tablets or a filter. Water-borne illnesses are common in this state.

Here are a few links to O'ahu trails. The first link, to Na 'Ala Hele, the State's trail system, also notes if you need a permit or not. The other sites also have links to the local chapter of the Sierra Club and the Hawaiian Trail and Mountain Club, the 2 most longstanding hiking groups in the state, and whose members are valuable sources of outdoor information.

Na Ala Hele - Hawaii Trail System: Oahu Trails
Hike Hawaii
Hiking Around Hawaii

There are also many books on hiking and camping in Hawai'i; available at any local library and bookstore. Stuart Ball, Richard McMahon, Robert Smith and Craig Chisholm have all authored well-known books on camping and hiking here, though the information may be dated.

Happy trails!

Old 02-22-2010, 10:06 PM

312 posts, read 1,375,065 times
when you say backpacking, i assume you mean normal hiking in, staying, hiking out; removed from civilization and not easily accessed. aka no roads or hotels next to you. many of the O'ahu trails are 1mi-3.5 miles (there are only a small hand full that are over that) and as mentioned above, they are not set aside for backpackers or meant to be camped on. if you do, however, choose to do that anyways, i stress to you to bring your own water or tablets. do NOT bring a filter, as a filter of any kind is useless for Hawai'is main problem, leptospirosis. remember if you choose to break the law, be careful and respectful of the land. disrespectful campers/hikers/backpakers make little to no sense to me, so please take care of the land. kokua aina!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu