Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala
 [Register]
Ocala Marion County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2008, 03:18 PM

5,701 posts, read 24,161,036 times

Advertisements

This is the part II to the original.

Last post: Originally Posted by root View Post
New to this board

What is the job situtation like in Ocala? What are some of the major employers/corporations, if any?

Link to previous thread: //www.city-data.com/forum/flori...ala-fl-22.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2008, 09:25 PM

9 posts, read 34,484 times
No new Companies. Average wage $8. Larger employers laying off due to a slow housing market. net growth of people in 2007 about 300. lowest in 10 years.

Old 01-25-2011, 02:44 PM

1 posts, read 5,833 times
Ok I noticed a lot of people asking questions about Ocala, FL. I have lived here all my life, going on 22 years. Someone said something about lack of engineering jobs. That's not true. There are several factories around here including but not limited to Lockheed Martin. Now for those curious of Silver Springs and Silver Springs shores. Silver Springs is the amusement park connected to Wild Waters. Both are seperate however. The amusement park hosts a ton of bands that come by to sing from oldies to country. There are tons of animals to see there as well as glass bottom boats where you drive around and given a tour of all sorts of fish and old relics. Silver Spring Shores is a neighborhood/home division. Its a ton of homes within the woods to give off that country look but still having neighbors. I lived there for a few years when I was younger. I loved it there. There are kids all up through those streets. The houses aren't new new but still are in my opinion one division of the strongest houses made. I loved it there. Also, connecting to Silver Springs Shores is a trail called The Greenway Trails. Consisting several of both dirt and paved trails. There are wal marts here, two in fact. Each located on a different side of the city. There are winn dixies, farms if you go to the outskirts, pizza huts, etc. Plenty of job opportunities for those willing to actually get out there and look. After all, can't expect a job to just get thrown at you right? Housing in Ocala is a lot better than surrounding cities such as Daytona, Tamp, and Orlando. It's more affordable. Now this leads me to safety. Some asks about animals and storms. Yes, Florida gets hit by hurricanes however living in Ocala you'll find we don't really get hit. All the storms we ride them out. In fact, the people on the coasts always seem to flood to us for protection. When this happens all of our schools opens up their doors for a means of safe homage for those needing it. It gets really hot here during the summer around 80-95ish degrees. And cold around winter which the lowest I've recall is like low 20's which is very rare. The usual lowest is only about 30-40 something degrees. Wild animals you see but rarely would be raccoons, oppossums, and armadillos. Though they leave people alone and run off at the first glimpse of humans. Just last week I had a family of 5 raccoons around my house, not in my yard but just over in the other climbing in the trees. They did not mess with my dogs nor come in my yard. They are gone now but they were cut to watch since four of them were babies. If you have any more questions to answer I'll gladly answer them.

Travis
Ocala resident going on 22 years in May

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 10-07-2011 at 07:17 PM..

Old 01-10-2012, 05:48 PM

2 posts, read 5,785 times
Default Daughter and granddaughter

My daughter is (34) a single mom with a mixed race daughter. Where should we look for an apartment or townshouse to rent for them. We are moving to The Villages and want them close by. How are the schools???
Thak you

Old 01-17-2012, 11:25 AM

2 posts, read 7,262 times
I'm a Single mom I live in Ocala fl and my son attends Westport HS and graduates in 2014, I like the Villages area but I'm not a retiree I live near 3 Retired communities in ocala and where I rent 2/2 $780 a month with a little park area, nice pool & the majories of the renters are elderly. I'm a young mom in my 30's-40's both me and son are active like to stay busy!!! moved here from Upstate NY 2007 and cant wait to move when my son graudates 2014. there is not enough to do here in Ocala fl for the young adults with children, not much gated communities, I like Fore Ranch area very hard to rent a home and the homes are very expensive. Ocala has one Mall and no boys or girls club(I MISS THE YMCA) No actitives for children only ChuckyCheese. my teenagers feel lost coming from a very big city to nothing here. and since the economy went down in 2008 its sad! I'm staying postive but I'm going to relocate to tampa florida considering my son's GPA I feel he could do better.. as a concern mom I would have your daugther stay away from the mall area in choice for Apartments Padock Park apartments & Marion oaks!!! Summerfield area is nice but didnt see much apartments. I hope I was able to answer some questions like I stated I've only been here 4half years so I only know of what I see so far from the short years here I'm a New yorker I pick up on things quick. GOOD LUCK Have a Blessed Day!

Old 01-17-2012, 12:09 PM

23,416 posts, read 37,001,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OCALA07 View Post
I'm a Single mom I live in Ocala fl and my son attends Westport HS and graduates in 2014, I like the Villages area but I'm not a retiree I live near 3 Retired communities in ocala and where I rent 2/2 $780 a month with a little park area, nice pool & the majories of the renters are elderly. I'm a young mom in my 30's-40's both me and son are active like to stay busy!!! moved here from Upstate NY 2007 and cant wait to move when my son graudates 2014. there is not enough to do here in Ocala fl for the young adults with children, not much gated communities, I like Fore Ranch area very hard to rent a home and the homes are very expensive. Ocala has one Mall and no boys or girls club(I MISS THE YMCA) No actitives for children only ChuckyCheese. my teenagers feel lost coming from a very big city to nothing here. and since the economy went down in 2008 its sad! I'm staying postive but I'm going to relocate to tampa florida considering my son's GPA I feel he could do better.. as a concern mom I would have your daugther stay away from the mall area in choice for Apartments Padock Park apartments & Marion oaks!!! Summerfield area is nice but didnt see much apartments. I hope I was able to answer some questions like I stated I've only been here 4half years so I only know of what I see so far from the short years here I'm a New yorker I pick up on things quick. GOOD LUCK Have a Blessed Day!
Um.....if you have been here 4 1/2 years you should know there are 2 malls and a YMCA here.

Old 01-23-2012, 04:31 PM

3,237 posts, read 6,320,473 times
It's pretty Red... think of Mayberry and Petticoat Junction.

Old 01-23-2012, 04:41 PM

1,834 posts, read 2,695,641 times
I would not go there for a job. The area is close to the University of Florida. The pay scale is way down vs the state average. Locals love it because living is cheaper and no excitement.

Old 01-23-2012, 06:29 PM

23,416 posts, read 37,001,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mortpes View Post
I would not go there for a job. The area is close to the University of Florida. The pay scale is way down vs the state average. Locals love it because living is cheaper and no excitement.
Its not exactly cheap to live here.

Old 01-12-2016, 11:25 PM

5 posts, read 7,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis1989 View Post
Ok I noticed a lot of people asking questions about Ocala, FL. I have lived here all my life, going on 22 years. Someone said something about lack of engineering jobs. That's not true. There are several factories around here including but not limited to Lockheed Martin. Now for those curious of Silver Springs and Silver Springs shores. Silver Springs is the amusement park connected to Wild Waters. Both are seperate however. The amusement park hosts a ton of bands that come by to sing from oldies to country. There are tons of animals to see there as well as glass bottom boats where you drive around and given a tour of all sorts of fish and old relics. Silver Spring Shores is a neighborhood/home division. Its a ton of homes within the woods to give off that country look but still having neighbors. I lived there for a few years when I was younger. I loved it there. There are kids all up through those streets. The houses aren't new new but still are in my opinion one division of the strongest houses made. I loved it there. Also, connecting to Silver Springs Shores is a trail called The Greenway Trails. Consisting several of both dirt and paved trails. There are wal marts here, two in fact. Each located on a different side of the city. There are winn dixies, farms if you go to the outskirts, pizza huts, etc. Plenty of job opportunities for those willing to actually get out there and look. After all, can't expect a job to just get thrown at you right? Housing in Ocala is a lot better than surrounding cities such as Daytona, Tamp, and Orlando. It's more affordable. Now this leads me to safety. Some asks about animals and storms. Yes, Florida gets hit by hurricanes however living in Ocala you'll find we don't really get hit. All the storms we ride them out. In fact, the people on the coasts always seem to flood to us for protection. When this happens all of our schools opens up their doors for a means of safe homage for those needing it. It gets really hot here during the summer around 80-95ish degrees. And cold around winter which the lowest I've recall is like low 20's which is very rare. The usual lowest is only about 30-40 something degrees. Wild animals you see but rarely would be raccoons, oppossums, and armadillos. Though they leave people alone and run off at the first glimpse of humans. Just last week I had a family of 5 raccoons around my house, not in my yard but just over in the other climbing in the trees. They did not mess with my dogs nor come in my yard. They are gone now but they were cut to watch since four of them were babies. If you have any more questions to answer I'll gladly answer them.

Travis
Ocala resident going on 22 years in May
Travis, I am about to sign a lease on SE 88th Lane in SSS. I saw your post although its old now I d love to hear any thoughts suggestions wow for newbies. Have never lived y his far up in Fl but looking forward to it. Our family is mostly adults in 50s.T.I.A.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala