Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Rank them by importance (in your opinion)
1.Cincinnati, 2.Cleveland, 3.Columbus 10 20.41%
1.Cincinnati, 2.Columbus, 3.Cleveland 0 0%
1.Cleveland, 2.Cincinnati, 3.Columbus 13 26.53%
1.Cleveland, 2.Columbus, 3.Cincinnati 7 14.29%
1.Columbus, 2.Cincinnati, 3.Cleveland 4 8.16%
1. Columbus, 2.Cleveland, 3.Cincinnati 6 12.24%
All Equal 8 16.33%
Not sure... 1 2.04%
Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2014, 10:19 AM

16,345 posts, read 18,108,708 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
This doesn't really define a "government" job. For example, those "education" jobs could easily be government jobs, but I can't find a place to confirm that. It also doesn't show the division between education and health services.

Columbus has way more state funded employees with Ohio State vs. Cleveland's health services sector is private (Cleveland Clinic,. However, the statistics don't reflect this.
I would kind of expect a capital to have more state government jobs, though I haven't seen any breakdown. Why this seems so surprising to some, I don't know. It's true that the term government jobs probably includes those of all types, from federal down to local, but they're all supported by public tax dollars in some way.

Last edited by jbcmh81; 03-27-2014 at 10:27 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2014, 10:25 AM

Quote:
You don't make any sense. Cleveland historically has been more productive ever since the beginning of its history than Columbus. Even after Cleveland "dropped the ball." Still more productive than the rest. I think it's impressive. You take every opportunity to be defensive. I guess this is my "claim"? You seem to always miss the point. It's impressive as well.

You're really just proving my original point that nobody ever gives Cleveland props for still being so vital to whole region. I'm just saying the gerneal consensus around here is that "Cleveland is a neat little city but has gone through some really rough times. Columbus is the economic driver of the whole state and is in the best shape." We are just pointing out that that isn't totally accurate. Read the posts before going into hyper defensive mode.
I don't miss your point, you just don't seem to make them very well. Cleveland is still the largest state metro, despite its problems, so it *should* still have an economy larger than the others. And I do think it's somewhat ironic that some claim Cleveland to be the most important economic center of the state while at the same time blaming Columbus for not being better. If it's always been on top and has always been better than Columbus, then that really doesn't make any logical sense. It's Columbus' fault that Cleveland is still on top??

I have never said Cleveland isn't important in Ohio. Clearly it is and that can't be argued against. I was talking strictly about recent economic performance. It's still the largest state metro economy, but it no longer has a large lead on the other 2, and it's growing the slowest of the 3. All these things can be true at the same time.

Old 03-27-2014, 01:16 PM

3,530 posts, read 5,034,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1watertiger View Post
But as a previou poster stated facts above , greater cleveland outpaces cbus by over 80 billion. With fewer counties included in the report. Why is it so hard to swallow that columbus(central) ohio will never surpass cleveland(NE) ohio in a hundred yrs. Regarding size, importance,relevance,Transportation,things to do,etc,etc.... People in cbus are finally seeing their city grow into more than just a cowtown with buckeye football But are clueless if they think cbus/central ohio can compete with the other 2 Cs
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
You're not talking about Cleveland, then, you're talking about all of NEO. Here I thought we were comparing cities, or at least metros. Cincinnati folks do the same thing by adding Dayton. I guess you have to do whatever it takes.
JB--just what is it about NEO and CIN-DAY that you still don't understand or accept? You've done your best to either ignore or denigrate both realities, but your continual denial is your own affair and no one else's. Yes, in your world of "measurements," borders can be drawn around city-limits, but, then again, they cannot so easily define or limit surrounding city-metros.

Most certainly, the "city" of Columbus stands on its own accord--and it is a large city by sq. miles--much more so than either Cleveland or Cincinnati. But, then again, when one peers into the "looking glass" one more time with added discretion (ie, comprehending those nighttime satellite "light-shows"), there are other measures added entirely, w/o regard to city borders or civic boosters.

The truth is that both NEO and CIN-DAY dominate all of these Ohio night-sky photos and redefine any misconceptions of reality--the truth being that "Greater Cleveland" extends anywhere from Akron-Canton to Warren-Youngstown and beyond (perhaps to even Pittsburgh) whereas "Greater Cincinnati" extends anywhere from Walton, Kentucky through Dayton and Tipp City, Ohio--and also into SE Indiana. Then, check out "Greater Columbus" and measure its own extent into the Ohio cornfields beyond its city-borders. Simply, a case of "no-contest."

Old 03-27-2014, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorman View Post
JB--just what is it about NEO and CIN-DAY that you still don't understand or accept? You've done your best to either ignore or denigrate both realities, but your continual denial is your own affair and no one else's. Yes, in your world of "measurements," borders can be drawn around city-limits, but, then again, they cannot so easily define or limit surrounding city-metros.

Most certainly, the "city" of Columbus stands on its own accord--and it is a large city by sq. miles--much more so than either Cleveland or Cincinnati. But, then again, when one peers into the "looking glass" one more time with added discretion (ie, comprehending those nighttime satellite "light-shows"), there are other measures added entirely, w/o regard to city borders or civic boosters.

The truth is that both NEO and CIN-DAY dominate all of these Ohio night-sky photos and redefine any misconceptions of reality--the truth being that "Greater Cleveland" extends anywhere from Akron-Canton to Warren-Youngstown and beyond (perhaps to even Pittsburgh) whereas "Greater Cincinnati" extends anywhere from Walton, Kentucky through Dayton and Tipp City, Ohio--and also into SE Indiana. Then, check out "Greater Columbus" and measure its own extent into the Ohio cornfields beyond its city-borders. Simply, a case of "no-contest."
NEO is a region of the state, not a metro/city which is what the thread was about. If it was, then yes, it would be the economically largest. Cin-Day is a made up metro designation that doesn't exist, at least not yet (and may never). But this is one of those cases of where one personally decides to draw a line and then gets all upset that other people aren't adhering to their personal definitions. It's not my fault that you have created a strawman to tear down here.

I never used city boundaries for anything in this thread. I used current metro boundaries, which cancel out any arbitrary city ones based on annexation or any other factors.

I'm not interested in and have never been interested in your interpretation of nighttime satellite photos. Satellite photos can't and don't show economic realities. They have never shown what you seem to think that they do.

Old 03-27-2014, 01:45 PM

Quote:
I don't miss your point, you just don't seem to make them very well. Cleveland is still the largest state metro, despite its problems, so it *should* still have an economy larger than the others. And I do think it's somewhat ironic that some claim Cleveland to be the most important economic center of the state while at the same time blaming Columbus for not being better. If it's always been on top and has always been better than Columbus, then that really doesn't make any logical sense. It's Columbus' fault that Cleveland is still on top??

I have never said Cleveland isn't important in Ohio. Clearly it is and that can't be argued against. I was talking strictly about recent economic performance. It's still the largest state metro economy, but it no longer has a large lead on the other 2, and it's growing the slowest of the 3. All these things can be true at the same time.

Just wanted to make an edit: Cleveland is not the largest metro, Cincinnati is. So in that sense, Cleveland is probably performing better than its size, and Cincinnati a bit worse.

Old 03-27-2014, 02:37 PM

1,606 posts, read 2,843,899 times
It does not matter just as long as you are healthy, safe and have a job.

Old 03-27-2014, 04:05 PM

3,530 posts, read 5,034,006 times
Quote:
...I'm not interested in and have never been interested in your interpretation of nighttime satellite photos. Satellite photos can't and don't show economic realities. They have never shown what you seem to think that they do.
That's okay. You gotta do what you gotta to do to stay ahead in your game of illusions. Believe me, jb, when you defend Cbus so vehemently and w/o insight, we (that is, those of us in Ohio) do understand why.

Old 03-27-2014, 04:17 PM

11,076 posts, read 12,497,254 times
Quote:

Everyone else understands me except you. You look at everything as an attack. I make my points quite sufficiently. Nobody but you is ever confused by my posts.

Old 03-27-2014, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorman View Post
That's okay. You gotta do what you gotta to do to stay ahead in your game of illusions. Believe me, jb, when you defend Cbus so vehemently and w/o insight, we (that is, those of us in Ohio) do understand why.
The satellite photo thing has nothing to do with Columbus, though. Cincinnati is already a bigger metro, so it really wouldn't make any difference if Dayton was added. It would not change the order of things. It seems especially important to you to make sure people believe Dayton is part of Cincinnati, but so far, it's not. I'm not going to say it will never happen, but you've been jumping the gun on this for years.

Old 03-27-2014, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Everyone else understands me except you. You look at everything as an attack. I make my points quite sufficiently. Nobody but you is ever confused by my posts.
Cool, so can I also use that line and just say everyone always takes what I say as an attack and they don't understand my posts?

In any case, like it or not, Cleveland and Cleveland alone is responsible for its current state as well as its future. I'm sure back when Cleveland was at 914K people and easily the largest and most important city in the state, without question, and likely receiving a majority of state tax dollars between the 3-Cs, I have no doubt citizens in the other 2 cities had the exact same complaint that they now have about Columbus. It's the nature of the game, I guess. Maybe the real question should be, if Cleveland is still easily #1 in just about every metric, how is it that Columbus provides any threat to that position whatsoever? You can't have Cleveland be totally dominant and yet so fragile at the same time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio