Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What City Best Describes Ohio Urban or Rural
Cleveland 16 30.77%
Columbus 11 21.15%
Cincinnatti 7 13.46%
Dayton 3 5.77%
Toledo 4 7.69%
Akron 7 13.46%
Youngstown 1 1.92%
Springfield 2 3.85%
Hamilton 1 1.92%
Warren 0 0%
Mansfield 0 0%
Steubenville 0 0%
Porstmouth 0 0%
Massillon 0 0%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2013, 10:04 AM

11,076 posts, read 12,477,835 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
He may have meant densist Urban Area in Ohio, which Columbus is, while you're quoting cities. Also, no mention on where those densities are going. Only one is going up and I'll give you 3 guesses as to which one it is. And I think you used 2010 numbers. 2012 estimates should be out any day now, but the 2011 densities are closer to these:

Cleveland: 5,068.3
Cincinnati: 3,800.8
Columbus: 3,671.9
Toledo: 3,544.9
Akron: 3,198.5

Getting closer each year. Give it a few more, but Columbus will pass them all. The city doesn't really need your respect to keep right on closing that gap in things like density, amenities, GDP... As far as the agricultural campus at OSU, it seems to be working out just fine for them being the largest university in the US. You went there, you should know they have just a bit more going on.
We've been over this before. Amenities gap will never be closed. In fact, I really don't see it as much as a gap as it is there exist amenities in some cities and zero in others... Agree to disagree. But do you have numbers for metro areas in density? By the way, those density numbers are still almost exactly the same. I really don't think it's anything for to you brag about. Being real though, no city in Ohio is actually "dense." You live in Mexico City, you know what real density is. If you take Cleveland's density and double it, then you're starting to talk. I was just correcting an error I thought I saw, but I guess he was talking about metro.

Yeah I did go to OSU, there is a lot going on there, but that doesn't mean there isn't an Ag campus. It's also not the largest university in the US. ASU is bigger.

It's not that I don't respect Columbus. Population does not equal greatness. Columbus could have 2 million people in the city and 5 million in the metro and I'd still take many other cities over it. I live in Boston, a city population of like 650,000 (smaller than Cbus even) and metro of 4.5 million. I'd rather live here than New York, that's for sure. That's just my preference. You are allowed to have your own. But it's also still a fact, there are farms in city limits of Columbus.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2013, 02:22 PM

16,345 posts, read 18,091,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
We've been over this before. Amenities gap will never be closed. In fact, I really don't see it as much as a gap as it is there exist amenities in some cities and zero in others... Agree to disagree. But do you have numbers for metro areas in density? By the way, those density numbers are still almost exactly the same. I really don't think it's anything for to you brag about. Being real though, no city in Ohio is actually "dense." You live in Mexico City, you know what real density is. If you take Cleveland's density and double it, then you're starting to talk. I was just correcting an error I thought I saw, but I guess he was talking about metro.

Yeah I did go to OSU, there is a lot going on there, but that doesn't mean there isn't an Ag campus. It's also not the largest university in the US. ASU is bigger.

It's not that I don't respect Columbus. Population does not equal greatness. Columbus could have 2 million people in the city and 5 million in the metro and I'd still take many other cities over it. I live in Boston, a city population of like 650,000 (smaller than Cbus even) and metro of 4.5 million. I'd rather live here than New York, that's for sure. That's just my preference. You are allowed to have your own. But it's also still a fact, there are farms in city limits of Columbus.
The stuff about amenities is pure hyperbolic nonsense on your part. It's logically impossible for a growing city to not make up at least some of the difference with a city that is shrinking. The more people, the more demand for more things. No matter if you like the city or not, that's inevitable.

The 2012 metro densities are as follows:
Cleveland: 1,033.3 Down from 1,035.7 in 2011, boundaries did not change.
Cincinnati: 484.4 Down from 486.6 in 2011, one county switch for another, but no significant size change.
Columbus: 400.8 Down from 468.5 in 2011. 2 rural counties added.

Cleveland is still easily the densist metro area, definitely no argument there. That's sort of why it's strange that Columbus has the densist urban area.

The density numbers for cities I gave are one year changes (2010 vs 2011), so of course they are not going to change drastically. The point was to show trends. Multiply it by the time 2020 rolls around and Columbus will have passed Cincinnati and will be nipping at Cleveland's heels. It's not about bragging, it's about showing how these cities are changing over time, something other people don't acknowledge much in these types of threads. Columbus is developing as a major city later than the other two, but it definitely is getting there.

Yes, I know what real density is. Even if you doubled Cleveland's city density, it'd still be less than 1/4th of DF's average density. None of the 3-Cs are particularly dense and I'm not making that argument.

I've also never argued that population equals greatness, but to blatantly act like population does not play a role in city life and what it has and doesn't have is crazy. I don't care if you prefer other cities, but it's 100% baseless bias to claim that Columbus will never be competitive with Cleveland or Cincinnati. It already is. Maybe that's what really bothers you.

Old 05-12-2013, 02:45 PM

Quote:
The stuff about amenities is pure hyperbolic nonsense on your part. It's logically impossible for a growing city to not make up at least some of the difference with a city that is shrinking. The more people, the more demand for more things. No matter if you like the city or not, that's inevitable.

I've also never argued that population equals greatness, but to blatantly act like population does not play a role in city life and what it has and doesn't have is crazy. I don't care if you prefer other cities, but it's 100% baseless bias to claim that Columbus will never be competitive with Cleveland or Cincinnati. It already is. Maybe that's what really bothers you.
LOL why would I be jealous or bothered by Columbus? I have my own life dude. I don't live in Ohio. Neither do you. This stuff has very little effect on me. I have a good life in Boston. I just like my hometown, and I don't see anything particularly great about Columbus. I lived there, it was cool for the time, I don't really miss it all that much, but I didn't hate it. I was in position where I could have just stayed there. I am not some salty dude in Cleveland jealous of Cbus's success from afar, only because I am unable to actually live there myself (though this is the image you try to make of me).

It's not pure hyperbolic nonsense. You are the only one that thinks that. Maybe you feel vulnerable about yourself because no matter how many people move to Columbus, it's still miles away from the authenticity and character of other similar sized cities? I don't take anything you say very seriously about places that aren't Columbus. When you compare the other C's for example, your opinion just means nothing. You have zero actual experience anywhere but Columbus. I'd listen to you about MExico City too, but I just think it's hilarious that you talk like an expert about stuff you have no idea about.

I really don't care. You take this stuff so seriously. Go live life.

But I am kinda sorry I keep starting stuff with you- it just kinda happens. You do have a lot of good information and valid opinions. At least someone has some passion for their city. If more people in Cbus cared like you, it might be different.

Last edited by bjimmy24; 05-12-2013 at 02:54 PM..

Old 05-12-2013, 04:45 PM

3,530 posts, read 5,029,873 times
Quote:
I've also never argued that population equals greatness, but to blatantly act like population does not play a role in city life and what it has and doesn't have is crazy. I don't care if you prefer other cities, but it's 100% baseless bias to claim that Columbus will never be competitive with Cleveland or Cincinnati. It already is...
Not quite...w/o state government and OSU, Columbus wouldn't be able to compete with either Cleveland or Cincinnati, except in the most rudimentary levels.

Yes, it's true that Columbus is emerging/evolving into an interesting city/entity all its own, but to dare suggest that the capital will either overtake or dominate NEO or CIN-DAY is only wishful thinking or madness. All one need do is view any nighttime satellite-picture of Ohio to witness the truth. If one examines such documents closely and impartially, it's obvious that both Cleveland and Cincinnati are more on the move to Columbus, rather than the reverse.

Most certainly, Columbus is growing in both size, influence, and amenities--but it's just beginning to rival the other "2-Cs" No matter what the success of Columbus that either John Kasich or E. Gordon Gee are trying to instill upon their constituencies, its all relative to those revealing nighttime photos. (My guess is that Cincinnati will extend itself into SW Columbus first, but only because its metro ls closer to the capital than is that of Cleveland--otherwise Cleveland's large metro would breach NE Columbus first.)

Old 05-12-2013, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
LOL why would I be jealous or bothered by Columbus? I have my own life dude. I don't live in Ohio. Neither do you. This stuff has very little effect on me. I have a good life in Boston. I just like my hometown, and I don't see anything particularly great about Columbus. I lived there, it was cool for the time, I don't really miss it all that much, but I didn't hate it. I was in position where I could have just stayed there. I am not some salty dude in Cleveland jealous of Cbus's success from afar, only because I am unable to actually live there myself (though this is the image you try to make of me).

It's not pure hyperbolic nonsense. You are the only one that thinks that. Maybe you feel vulnerable about yourself because no matter how many people move to Columbus, it's still miles away from the authenticity and character of other similar sized cities? I don't take anything you say very seriously about places that aren't Columbus. When you compare the other C's for example, your opinion just means nothing. You have zero actual experience anywhere but Columbus. I'd listen to you about MExico City too, but I just think it's hilarious that you talk like an expert about stuff you have no idea about.

I really don't care. You take this stuff so seriously. Go live life.

But I am kinda sorry I keep starting stuff with you- it just kinda happens. You do have a lot of good information and valid opinions. At least someone has some passion for their city. If more people in Cbus cared like you, it might be different.
Tell me again how you don't care after writing all of that. You sound *exactly* like one of those "salty dudes" from Cleveland.

Old 05-12-2013, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorman View Post
Not quite...w/o state government and OSU, Columbus wouldn't be able to compete with either Cleveland or Cincinnati, except in the most rudimentary levels.

Yes, it's true that Columbus is emerging/evolving into an interesting city/entity all its own, but to dare suggest that the capital will either overtake or dominate NEO or CIN-DAY is only wishful thinking or madness. All one need do is view any nighttime satellite-picture of Ohio to witness the truth. If one examines such documents closely and impartially, it's obvious that both Cleveland and Cincinnati are more on the move to Columbus, rather than the reverse.

Most certainly, Columbus is growing in both size, influence, and amenities--but it's just beginning to rival the other "2-Cs" No matter what the success of Columbus that either John Kasich or E. Gordon Gee are trying to instill upon their constituencies, its all relative to those revealing nighttime photos. (My guess is that Cincinnati will extend itself into SW Columbus first, but only because its metro ls closer to the capital than is that of Cleveland--otherwise Cleveland's large metro would breach NE Columbus first.)
So what you're saying here is that Columbus IS competitive based on strengths like government and OSU, but that you just don't like that it is because you think it's based on OSU and government? I'm not sure I get the problem. Aren't cities competitive based on their individual strengths? And shouldn't they be? The fact is, we live in a reality where those things are important in Columbus. These what-if scenarios are kind of worthless when debating real life conditions. It would be like asking if Cincinnati would still be competitive if it wasn't on the Ohio River or if Cleveland would be without the Cleveland Clinic. And let's be honest, it's not like Cleveland/Cincinnati lack universities or government jobs.

It depends on what we're talking about it overtaking. In density? I think that's a very real likelihood to become the most dense city in the state. In eventually having the largest city GDP? Sure. In becoming the largest metro? Probably not unless growth rates or boundaries change significantly... at least in regards to Cleveland. Columbus is much more likely to pass Cincinnati in that measure. In have the most amenities? I don't know, but it is certainly inevitable that Columbus gains more of them so long as the population continues to rise. Remember that Cleveland and Cincinnati gained most of theirs when they had much larger populations. So too will Columbus at some point. So yeah, some things are unrealistic, but others certainly aren't. I don't think I've made any unrealistic claims about Columbus vs. the others, but you're free to point them out.

Wait, you're saying nighttime satellite photos tell you GDP, population, education quality, job climate, taxes, housing market conditions, educational attainment, upward mobility, crime rates, density, etc..... Wow, those are some amazing satellites. Here, I thought they only showed you a general outline of an area based on its illumination.

Old 05-13-2013, 12:45 AM

1,295 posts, read 1,911,109 times
Quote:
In becoming the largest metro? Probably not unless growth rates or boundaries change significantly... at least in regards to Cleveland. Columbus is much more likely to pass Cincinnati in that measure.
Cincinnati has a larger metro than Cleveland. Cincinnati's metro is growing, and Cleveland's is shrinking. Why would you say Columbus is more likely to pass up Cincinnati's metro in size than it is to pass Cleveland's? It defies all logic.

Old 05-13-2013, 05:49 AM

Quote:
Tell me again how you don't care after writing all of that. You sound *exactly* like one of those "salty dudes" from Cleveland.
You take stuff so seriously. You sound exactly like someone who can't get over the fact that you don't really know anything of substance about most anything. You claim you care about all of Ohio, but you really don't know anything about it. You go on here and pay lip service to the other places so people will listen to you, but you really don't know anything about them. You are constantly looking for ways to show that your hometown is superior. Most other people, like me, only rip on Cbus when you make some outlandish statements about how much sweeter it is in the capital (or as I like to think of it, overgrown Beachwood in the center of the state).

This all started with me saying that there are farms in Columbus. Which is true.

Then you flipped your sh*t because you want to feel persecuted about liking some cow town that you have to justify its existence all the time by citing population and density stats.

What I found interesting: it's ok to talk about metro areas when you want to show that Cbus is more dense, but it's not ok to talk about CLE or Cincinnati metro areas to show anything more positive about those cities. Is that because there's already so much that's obviously more positive that Columbus needs that kind of handicap?

Last edited by bjimmy24; 05-13-2013 at 05:59 AM..

Old 05-13-2013, 08:10 AM

3,530 posts, read 5,029,873 times
In paying homage to Columbus, I don't know what else can be conceded. After all, several of us have reluctantly admitted that our capital represents the state better than any other city, with its harmonious blending of urban and rural right within its city limits. (What else can we possibly say and do to show our respect?)

Old 05-13-2013, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by natininja View Post
Cincinnati has a larger metro than Cleveland. Cincinnati's metro is growing, and Cleveland's is shrinking. Why would you say Columbus is more likely to pass up Cincinnati's metro in size than it is to pass Cleveland's? It defies all logic.
You're right, I was thinking of CSA but said metro. Cleveland's CSA size jumped significantly with the new boundaries put out this year and is very unlikely to be passed up. The Cleveland metro area did not change and Cincinnati's just traded one county for another.

Unless other changes come about over the next several years, if growth rates persist, Columbus will pass up Cleveland by 2020. Cincinnati will take a bit longer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio