Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What City Best Describes Ohio Urban or Rural
Cleveland 16 30.77%
Columbus 11 21.15%
Cincinnatti 7 13.46%
Dayton 3 5.77%
Toledo 4 7.69%
Akron 7 13.46%
Youngstown 1 1.92%
Springfield 2 3.85%
Hamilton 1 1.92%
Warren 0 0%
Mansfield 0 0%
Steubenville 0 0%
Porstmouth 0 0%
Massillon 0 0%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2013, 06:52 PM

2,966 posts, read 5,219,313 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram2 View Post
Do you need a security clearance to work there?
No.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2013, 01:00 PM

1,279 posts, read 4,673,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pontiac51 View Post
Columbus is both urban and rural at the same time. Think about it. You can go to a great urban neighborhood like German Village, and then drive a few miles and play with the horses and cows!!! And pick come corn!!!
very funny yet not even close to true

Old 05-10-2013, 05:30 PM

324 posts, read 402,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by streetcreed View Post
very funny yet not even close to true
If you drive up to five miles due south of German Village, you're looking farmland/open fields. If you go to the top floor of the Franklin County Courthouse and look south or southwest, you can easily see the farms, and if you use binoculars, you can see the cows as well as the corn!! If you don't believe me, take a look at a satellite picture.

Old 05-10-2013, 05:50 PM

11,063 posts, read 12,460,703 times
Quote:
If you drive up to five miles due south of German Village, you're looking farmland/open fields. If you go to the top floor of the Franklin County Courthouse and look south or southwest, you can easily see the farms, and if you use binoculars, you can see the cows as well as the corn!! If you don't believe me, take a look at a satellite picture.
Not even close to true!

It's way closer to 6.5 miles than 5 miles!

Old 05-10-2013, 08:33 PM

87 posts, read 180,990 times
City, Columbus. Small town, Springfield.

Old 05-11-2013, 03:08 PM

1,279 posts, read 4,673,433 times
Quote:
Columbus is the most dense metro in Ohio and is developed most going north, east, and west. The south side is much like Chicago where the metro turns into a lot of nothing rather quickly. And those areas you are speaking of are not in the city of Columbus.

Old 05-11-2013, 04:17 PM

11,063 posts, read 12,460,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by streetcreed View Post
Columbus is the most dense metro in Ohio and is developed most going north, east, and west. The south side is much like Chicago where the metro turns into a lot of nothing rather quickly. And those areas you are speaking of are not in the city of Columbus.
Really?

Population density:

Cleveland: 5,107.0/sq mi
Cincinnati: 3,809.9/sq mi
Columbus: 3,624.0/sq mi
Toledo: 3,559/sq mi
Akron: 3,209.9/sq mi

Columbus is really about as dense as Toledo. Still a bit behind Cleveland, even Cincinnati. But, it is a little more dense than Akron, so there's that.

There's actually quite a few actual farms in city limits of Columbus. Just look at a Google maps satellite image. There are farms WITHIN Columbus borders on the south side, as well as just north of Hilliard and on the north east side.

Face it people, the Cow Town thing didn't come from nothing... Farms in city limits is not something you find in Cincinnati or Cleveland.

Also, don't forget about the Agricultural Campus at Ohio State, smack dab in the middle of the city. I always hated its existence when I went to OSU because I felt like it could have been a real place with stuff to go do to get me off High Street.

Old 05-12-2013, 06:37 AM

3,530 posts, read 5,025,930 times
^ So may we conclude that our centrally-located capital represents our state's diversity better than any other city, big or small? (After all, where else in Ohio but Columbus could a Cadillac car dealership and a John Deere tractor outlet sit side-by-side, and absolutely no one think either of them out of place?)

Old 05-12-2013, 09:20 AM

16,345 posts, read 18,071,077 times
Quote:
Even if this was true, which it isn't, I'm not sure what this would be indicative of other than a compact city. That's not the description of a city that is heavy on sprawl. Is that what you're trying to argue? I somehow doubt it.

Old 05-12-2013, 09:59 AM

16,345 posts, read 18,071,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
Really?

Population density:

Cleveland: 5,107.0/sq mi
Cincinnati: 3,809.9/sq mi
Columbus: 3,624.0/sq mi
Toledo: 3,559/sq mi
Akron: 3,209.9/sq mi

Columbus is really about as dense as Toledo. Still a bit behind Cleveland, even Cincinnati. But, it is a little more dense than Akron, so there's that.

There's actually quite a few actual farms in city limits of Columbus. Just look at a Google maps satellite image. There are farms WITHIN Columbus borders on the south side, as well as just north of Hilliard and on the north east side.

Face it people, the Cow Town thing didn't come from nothing... Farms in city limits is not something you find in Cincinnati or Cleveland.

Also, don't forget about the Agricultural Campus at Ohio State, smack dab in the middle of the city. I always hated its existence when I went to OSU because I felt like it could have been a real place with stuff to go do to get me off High Street.
He may have meant densist Urban Area in Ohio, which Columbus is, while you're quoting cities. Also, no mention on where those densities are going. Only one is going up and I'll give you 3 guesses as to which one it is. And I think you used 2010 numbers. 2012 estimates should be out any day now, but the 2011 densities are closer to these:

Cleveland: 5,068.3
Cincinnati: 3,800.8
Columbus: 3,671.9
Toledo: 3,544.9
Akron: 3,198.5

Getting closer each year. Give it a few more, but Columbus will pass them all. The city doesn't really need your respect to keep right on closing that gap in things like density, amenities, GDP... As far as the agricultural campus at OSU, it seems to be working out just fine for them being the largest university in the US. You went there, you should know they have just a bit more going on. But I guess, whatever to make a point, right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio