Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2013, 08:43 PM

39 posts, read 71,496 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdawnbailey View Post
I posted a thread about moving to Ohio a few months back. We have now decided on Mansfield/ashland area. We r takin a trip up there n june and have scheduled the move n july. Any advice on the areas or tips to make moving out of state easier?

I was just wondering how the move went and how Mansfield area is? I'll be moving from texas and still need to find a house. Just looking for insight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2013, 06:10 PM

43 posts, read 90,799 times
I lived in Vegas for 18 years and wanted to leave from day one.

I got hit on at the call centre I worked out a lot, but this guy (August 2012), had a whole different approach -I wasn't even sure if he was even hitting on me

Having away from Vegas due to the rotten economy stronger than ever, and finally meeting this man 3 months later (same week my call center closed) -it was a combo of living in a place that's green (and rains!!!) and how this man treats me.

Housing is way cheaper, but finding work (starting from June 1st), has made me feel like I'm still in Las Vegas

I have no regrets about moving here, even if August 2012 and I didn't work out, I love the low crime, I love that i can go for a walk and not be afraid of being raped (though my Vegas street smarts keeps me bring a pocket knife regardless) -which is good since the lack of work is causing a huge strain to the relationship...

Old 08-05-2013, 10:50 PM

24,155 posts, read 32,586,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackarachnia View Post
I lived in Vegas for 18 years and wanted to leave from day one.

I got hit on at the call centre I worked out a lot, but this guy (August 2012), had a whole different approach -I wasn't even sure if he was even hitting on me

Having away from Vegas due to the rotten economy stronger than ever, and finally meeting this man 3 months later (same week my call center closed) -it was a combo of living in a place that's green (and rains!!!) and how this man treats me.

Housing is way cheaper, but finding work (starting from June 1st), has made me feel like I'm still in Las Vegas

I have no regrets about moving here, even if August 2012 and I didn't work out, I love the low crime, I love that i can go for a walk and not be afraid of being raped (though my Vegas street smarts keeps me bring a pocket knife regardless) -which is good since the lack of work is causing a huge strain to the relationship...

Not having the fear of being raped is a definite positive. Call center jobs are plentiful here. So I wouldn't stress over that, too much.

If you are open to career training, there are so many relatively short and inexpensive training programs here. Healthcare is really booming in this area, because of the aging population.

Depending on your county, there are grants for training programs for careers such as medical coder and biller, and licensed practical nursing - up to 4000 in my county - Trumbull.

An adult student in my church is completing an LPN program soon and already has a job. She wants to continue on to be an RN, and the facility where she is working will reimburse her tuition.

If you want any information, shoot me a direct message.

Welcome to Ohio! I'm new here too. The Fall here is really beautiful! I don't think I could live in a desert. I love the seasons!

Old 08-11-2013, 02:07 PM

1,935 posts, read 4,784,898 times
I'm considering Ohio for the following reasons.

1) It's the most politically conservative state out of the states we might logically pick.
2) The short list of states deals with proximity to family. Mine's in New Jersey, my wife's is in Ohio. (Ideologically, there are much better states for us than Ohio.)
3) No vehicle inspections where we'd live (we wouldn't locate in any of the E-Check counties).
4) I'd like a fresh start (I've never lived in Ohio) and my wife doesn't care where we end up as long as it's reasonably close to family.
5) Seems like you can get decent houses on reasonable lots for low prices that wouldn't buy you much in most areas of PA.
6) It's geographically central to our performance locations... which span many states.
7) It's beautiful.

Now if only they'd stop allowing fracking and injection wells... I don't like that stuff.

Old 08-14-2013, 05:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomaniGypsy View Post
I'm considering Ohio for the following reasons.

1) It's the most politically conservative state out of the states we might logically pick.
2) The short list of states deals with proximity to family. Mine's in New Jersey, my wife's is in Ohio. (Ideologically, there are much better states for us than Ohio.)
3) No vehicle inspections where we'd live (we wouldn't locate in any of the E-Check counties).
4) I'd like a fresh start (I've never lived in Ohio) and my wife doesn't care where we end up as long as it's reasonably close to family.
5) Seems like you can get decent houses on reasonable lots for low prices that wouldn't buy you much in most areas of PA.
6) It's geographically central to our performance locations... which span many states.
7) It's beautiful.

Now if only they'd stop allowing fracking and injection wells... I don't like that stuff.
There is a plentiful and reasonably priced housing stock in my area of Ohio. Some homes are less than 200,000 and are veritable mansions. Many of these were built for GM executives "back in the day".

We were surprised about no vehicle inspection also. We are in Howland Township, Trumbull County. Honestly, I don't think anywhere in Ohio has car inspection. I'm not a fan. It was a racket in NY and PA.
It does nothing.

As to the geographical location, it is central to many areas for us. We have relative is two areas of NY State, and in the Mid South. All of these are within driving distance. Air fare is inexpensive to Florida and South Carolina if you and your wife want to get away in the Winter - which we do.

I'd recommend that you visit in the Fall when Ohio's natural beauty is at it's peak.

It's funny, some areas are loud and trumpet their beauty and history, wearing them as a badge of honor. Pennsylvania comes to mind. Indeed, there are lovely areas in that state. There are also many really ugly, backwater towns, former mining areas that are polluted waste lands. tourist traps that are over priced and borderline "honky tonk" and people who are not very welcome to outsiders.
I am being kind here. Poorly built newer construction in the Pocono and North Eastern region is a real blight.

Ohio has embraced us with open arms and we in turn, have loved Ohio back. It's a true mix of cultures and a cross section of the United States.

I happen to agree about the "fracking" though. However, no place is perfect - not even Ohio.
Since you are a former Pennsylvanian, if you have any questions; feel free to send me a direct message.
~Sheena12

Old 08-14-2013, 11:00 AM

35 posts, read 54,221 times
I was advised to move to the PNW. I am scratching my head as to why. There are MAYBE two months of perfect weather, the cost of living is astronomical, and the crime rates are high. This has caused me to re-exam my decision and stay in my back yard. I am contemplating a move to one of the counties bordering Lake Erie.

Old 08-17-2013, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwest_moon View Post
I was advised to move to the PNW. I am scratching my head as to why. There are MAYBE two months of perfect weather, the cost of living is astronomical, and the crime rates are high. This has caused me to re-exam my decision and stay in my back yard. I am contemplating a move to one of the counties bordering Lake Erie.

Glad you are staying! I have had that same advice. As a somewhat aging hipster I sort of get it. However I was really never a fan of Grunge and I like FOUR SEASONS.

Not the Rainy season the Rain and Cloud season the Cloudy and Drizzle Season and The Gray and Damp with periods of Rain Season.

Nah. I'll pass on that. I visited a friend in Seattle for a week after which I was nearly suicidal. I kid but close. It also was not all that hip.

I love the areas near Lake Erie! That is an awesome lake. It seems like a Sea! You can't even see the other side. It amazes me as a former East Coast person.

Old 08-17-2013, 03:45 PM

1,935 posts, read 4,784,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
There is a plentiful and reasonably priced housing stock in my area of Ohio. Some homes are less than 200,000 and are veritable mansions. Many of these were built for GM executives "back in the day".
Maybe that's cheap for a mansion, but I'm intending to go nowhere near the six-figure range for a house. I do know that there's quite a bit in Ohio for low five figures though, and it's not always in a bad area.

Quote:
We were surprised about no vehicle inspection also. We are in Howland Township, Trumbull County. Honestly, I don't think anywhere in Ohio has car inspection. I'm not a fan. It was a racket in NY and PA.
It does nothing.
Seven Ohio counties surrounding Cleveland have "E-Check", which is their version of a vehicle inspection... but you only have to get it if you live in one of those counties. They don't issue a sticker... only a paper stating whether you passed or failed... so it's not like you could get pulled over for an expired inspection either. Truthfully, I don't know if they ever check it. My wife lived in an E-Check county for a while and she said that the only enforcement she ever heard of was how you had to pass E-Check in order to get your initial Ohio license plates. There was no requirement to pass E-Check to renew registration.

As for it being a racket in NY and PA, what do you mean? Was it ever proven that the government and the inspection shops (which are private in PA and also, I believe, in NY) were sleeping with each other and giving each other kickbacks on inspection fees and inspection-related repair costs?

Quote:
I'd recommend that you visit in the Fall when Ohio's natural beauty is at it's peak.
We'll be doing that. Our tour takes us through many parts of Ohio in October, through November.

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwest_moon View Post
It depends upon your definition of perfect weather, and where exactly in the Pacific Northwest you live. The weather varies VASTLY up there. For example, I used to live in Salem, Oregon. It could be 100 degrees there, and a couple of days during the one summer I spent in Salem, it got that hot. Drive less than one hour west to get to the shore, and you can practically feel it getting colder as you drive. Hit the ocean and it's 60 degrees with strong winds. The area right on the coastline gets A LOT of rain. The Willamette valley - not as much. A bit further east, where it becomes mountainous again - lots of rain. Further east from there - it quickly becomes desert.

When I lived in Oregon, I didn't find the cost of living to be that high, nor the crime rate astronomical. Again, it depends upon where you go.

Old 09-06-2013, 10:00 PM

7 posts, read 23,395 times
I really want to move to Ohio...I have friends there from when I worked there 25 years ago. Celina is where I want to go. However, though I love the quiet farm land, at my recent visit I was struck by many negative things: People are struggling on minimum wage, most are severely limited and uneducated, the state has been fracked horribly causing earthquakes and ruining of groundwater, and there's not an organic grocery store in sight.

Pretty bummed I would have to put up with so much just to be in nice farmland.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio