Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2013, 02:58 PM

48 posts, read 84,645 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone, I'm looking for some advice on where to live, schools, etc. We are a large military family with kids ranging from 5 to 19 years old. We are looking to rent a 5 plus bedroom house in a good school district. Any and all advice welcome!! We are moving from Fort Worth Texas and have never lived up north and have no idea what to expect.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2013, 04:27 PM

8,284 posts, read 8,690,977 times
5+ br to rent? Good luck finding that.

Any township is fine. Most township schools are good. Stay out of the cities. If you are going to work at the air base think Howland, Cortland, Vienna, Bazetta, or Brookfield.

It will be a big change from Texas. I hated Texas in the 70's. Ohio is fine for newcomers. Lots to do. After 50+ years I needed a change but I don't think you will be there that long.

Wait for Cortlandgirl to post. She won't steer you wrong. Start reading trib.com and vindy.com.

Old 04-01-2013, 04:53 PM

thanks! I will start looking at 4 bedrooms and we will just have to make do. I am hoping that some of the houses that have been on the market awhile will consider renting. We are planning on staying 4-5 years.

Old 04-01-2013, 04:53 PM

912 posts, read 1,736,423 times
Yeah 5+ bedroom rentals are going to be really difficult to find. It's not a renter's market at all. You might actually want to look and see if you could get both units of a condo or something like that. Might be a little easier to find.

As for locations, thinkalot is spot on. All of the suburbs have great school districts. You really can't go wrong with any of them. Basically, you just want to avoid anything in the Youngstown or Warren city school districts.

If you're working on the base, then definitely look up in Trumbull County (Howland, Cortland, etc.).

Old 04-01-2013, 08:24 PM

We actually might have found a five bedroom house for rent in Cortland. My husband's boss told us about it. We are not sure on how much the rent is yet tho. There are so many townships surrounding the youngstown area I have no idea how to decide where to live.

Old 04-01-2013, 09:21 PM

912 posts, read 1,736,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmbridge View Post
We actually might have found a five bedroom house for rent in Cortland. My husband's boss told us about it. We are not sure on how much the rent is yet tho. There are so many townships surrounding the youngstown area I have no idea how to decide where to live.
Will you/your husband be working at the base in Vienna? If so, Cortland is a great option, very close to the base.

Like I said before, pretty much everything outside the actual city limits of Youngstown or Warren will put you in a safe community with a great school district. I'd look for something in Howland or Cortland first, as that would give you the shortest commute to the base. If you can't find the right place there, then I'd start looking further south to the suburbs immediately surrounding Youngstown (Austintown, Boardman, etc.)

You might also want to look at some towns just across the border in Pennsylvania. I don't know anything about the schools there, but places like Sharon, Sharpsville, Farrell and Hermitage are right across the border and pretty close to the base as well.

Old 04-02-2013, 02:16 PM

Thanks for your help. After talking to a realtor it seems like there are NO rentals that fit our price and size... We are going to have to start looking elsewhere but i have no idea where that is.....yikes!!!

Old 04-02-2013, 05:47 PM

3,343 posts, read 10,952,054 times
Check w/some realtors to see if there are any listed properties where the owner would be willing to rent the home out. Also check out TribToday.com - News, Sports, Jobs, Community Information - Tribune Chronicle - Warren, OH and Youngstown News, Vindy.com, Local News, Sports, Classifieds, Jobs, Cars, Homes - The Vindicator for rentals. It may be hard to find something as large as you would like to rent. Most of the nicer condo/apartments types are very expensive. People at the base maybe able to help as well. If you have any specific questions be sure to let me know.

Old 04-02-2013, 05:59 PM

3,343 posts, read 10,952,054 times
I think it will be very hard to find something bigger than a 3br for rent, but if there is a basement you can always set up a room in the basement for an older kid or two. Here's a place in Poland. It's probably 30 minutes to the base, but it's a nice area. Luxury Cape Cod Home

Old 04-02-2013, 06:09 PM

Thanks Cortlandgirl! We are feeling very discourged. We will def commute to find the right house. I am hoping that all the large houses that people are trying to sell that can't might be open to rent. Do you know if going toward the bigger cities like Cleveland suburbs would be any better?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio