Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2013, 08:05 AM

3,530 posts, read 5,032,052 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by scioto View Post
to op's question. NO Columbus is not on the same level as Cleveland or cincy. not on the the state , national or world level. period.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I believe the question was approaching the same level, not already on the same level.

"Is Columbus approaching the same level as Cincinnati and Cleveland."

This whole thread has turned into nothing more than Cleveland/Cincinnati is so much better than Columbus.
Considering the original question, just where did you think this thread would be headed? Many of the responses were both inevitable and justifiable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2013, 08:23 AM

11,076 posts, read 12,488,743 times
How can you say that Columbus isn't on the same level as Cinci and CLE on the STATE level? What's the capital city again?

I think there's a case to be made of Columbus not having national recognition. Some people out in the rest of the USA legitly ask "Columbus, GA, or Columbus, OH?" and some people out there are not sure where Ohio State is, and some other people only know Columbus for goofy reasons (I've had one person ask me when I said I used to live in Columbus, "wtf is a Blue Jacket??").

But none of these things are true in the actual state. On the state level, Columbus has a ton of advantages over the rest of the state.

Old 11-24-2013, 09:21 AM

383 posts, read 513,772 times
My intent of the original question was to try and identify areas where Columbus is gaining ground on the other two. We all know Cbus will never have the history element so that already takes it down a notch but there are things that can help to boost it up despite this. To me, number of jobs, metro or urbanization population, fortune 500 and 1000 companies, pro sports teams and overall infrastructure can boost a region in someone's mind.
I realize this is sometimes hard to extrapolate but my point was, what has Columbus gained or still needs to gain in order to be on a level that it would be hard to find glaring differences between the metros.

Old 11-24-2013, 10:23 AM

53 posts, read 215,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorman View Post
Considering the original question, just where did you think this thread would be headed? Many of the responses were both inevitable and justifiable.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No one is crying here, so no need for the emoticon with tears. It is sad that many have to put down a city, just to make their own city feel superior. Ohio as a whole needs all of the 3 C's to be performing well.

Old 11-24-2013, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
How can you say that Columbus isn't on the same level as Cinci and CLE on the STATE level? What's the capital city again?

...But none of these things are true in the actual state. On the state level, Columbus has a ton of advantages over the rest of the state.
No disagreement here, bjimmy24--but, then what else is new or needs to be said?

Without dispute, Columbus possesses powerful advantages over all other Ohio cities when it comes to tax dollars. (Only a leprechaun or an idiot would convince you to believe otherwise.)

After all, for better or for worse, Columbus, Ohio not only employs literally thousands of people paid solely by state tax-dollars, but more importantly, it's the home turf of the state's governor and the majority of his political and business cronies--plus all their myriad business and family connections throughout Ohio. (And these sycophants's play-money isn't in "the millions," but "the billions.")

Needless to say, added to all this, is the state's largest college--an absolutely giant and prestigious public-institution that only attracts thousands of students not only from all over Ohio, but hundreds from across the nation and the world.

Thus, no other city in Ohio (including Cincinnati and Cleveland) can compete against these billions of state "tax-dollars at work." Just ask John Kasich and friends (of course, do so discretely and with fat check-in-hand) and he'll tell you all about it! (And, to garner a clearer picture of reality, just ask Kasich about JobsOhio.) Believe me, you'll connect with him immediately and bring a really big smile to his face.

Last edited by motorman; 11-24-2013 at 10:54 AM..

Old 11-24-2013, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scioto View Post
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No one is crying here, so no need for the emoticon with tears. It is sad that many have to put down a city, just to make their own city feel superior. Ohio as a whole needs all of the 3 C's to be performing well.
You misunderstand. An OP asks a question and derives responses. Simply put, Columbus folks have only gained valuable insights from the other "2-C's."

Thus, please get over any troubled feelings and bruised psyche; we all realize it ain't easy and it ain't fun--but if one who seeks doesn't wish to find, why even ask questions at all?

Old 11-24-2013, 12:56 PM

53 posts, read 215,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorman View Post
You misunderstand. An OP asks a question and derives responses. Simply put, Columbus folks have only gained valuable insights from the other "2-C's."

Thus, please get over any troubled feelings and bruised psyche; we all realize it ain't easy and it ain't fun--but if one who seeks doesn't wish to find, why even ask questions at all?

You must misunderstand. There are no troubled feelings or bruised psyche here. There have been a few good discussions, but mostly it has now turned into a my city is better than your city thread. My city is denser than your city. My city has more lights that can be seen from outer space than your city. So I fail to see the valuable insights a majority of Columbusites would have gained at this time.

Old 11-24-2013, 02:10 PM

87 posts, read 181,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbusflyer View Post
My intent of the original question was to try and identify areas where Columbus is gaining ground on the other two. We all know Cbus will never have the history element so that already takes it down a notch but there are things that can help to boost it up despite this. To me, number of jobs, metro or urbanization population, fortune 500 and 1000 companies, pro sports teams and overall infrastructure can boost a region in someone's mind.
I realize this is sometimes hard to extrapolate but my point was, what has Columbus gained or still needs to gain in order to be on a level that it would be hard to find glaring differences between the metros.

Saying words like never and ever, you must be from the future

Old 11-24-2013, 02:16 PM

87 posts, read 181,139 times
It's hard to have a real conversation on this forum when "senior" members have literally hundreds of posts bashing a single city. It's cool to bash fellow American cities and peoples hometowns on this site.

Old 11-24-2013, 05:21 PM

2,365 posts, read 4,381,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbusflyer View Post
Columbus could use a much better transit system, as stated earlier. more pro sports, needs to develop an "identity" . it doesn't have or not known for a world class art museum or orchestra . it is disadvantaged by being landlocked and not being a port city.. Cleveland had some of Americas richest people donating and building cultural institutions, that are alive and well today. many larger cities can only dream of what Cleveland has ... I don't see Columbus ever reaching clevelands level.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio