Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is your favorite major city in Ohio?
Cleveland 43 37.72%
Columbus 27 23.68%
Cincinnati 30 26.32%
Dayton 8 7.02%
Toledo 2 1.75%
Youngstown 1 0.88%
Akron 0 0%
Canton 3 2.63%
Voters: 114. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2015, 10:04 PM

4,823 posts, read 4,969,370 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1watertiger View Post
Jbch81, come visit Cleveland this summer and watch a pro baseball game. Maybe enjoy the lake or beaches or plan on seeing a world class orchestra.. Just a few things to experience in Cleveland that you can never do in cbus.. Seriously , you need to get real and stop trying to make cbus seem like some great city because its not and never was.
You forgot to mention that jbch81 should grab a beer in Cleveland since Conde Naste Traveler just named Cleveland the best Beer Town in the U.S. I attribute much of this to the Conway brothers opening Great Lakes Brewery way back in the 1980s. More West Side Irish pride.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2015, 04:23 AM

3,530 posts, read 5,044,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamms View Post
Not quite a 1950s template. Ever been to Cleveland's West Side Market on a Saturday morning? Cleveland's ethnic history trumps Cin & Col simply because these 2 cities lack one. This is why Cleveland can have an eastern flavor to it including its Connecticut roots. The fact that Cleveland was so built-out in the past gives it the best urban vibe in Ohio.
Oh, please! Jungle Jim's International Market" makes "West Side Market" look like someone's corner grocery store; Cincinnati's rich Germanic heritage outshines Cleveland's mongrel "East European" history; and Over-the-Rhine attracts attention and investment from everywhere. (Wanna step up to bat again?)

Old 01-22-2015, 05:44 AM

2,365 posts, read 4,391,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorman View Post
Oh, please! Jungle Jim's International Market" makes "West Side Market" look like someone's corner grocery store; Cincinnati's rich Germanic heritage outshines Cleveland's mongrel "East European" history; and Over-the-Rhine attracts attention and investment from everywhere. (Wanna step up to bat again?)
. Strictly subjective.. And your opinion... Let's list things that Cincinnati has that makes it a better major city than the other 2c's.. I don't like that ciny only has 2 pro teams. The music scene is not on as high a level in terms of acclaim venues/choices... Smaller theatres/ less live Broadway plays. The river limits the amount of activities compared to what we enjoy on lake Erie... Less museums/restaurant/nightclub/bar choices... I do enjoy my visits to cincy and rate it #2 behind Cleveland, and put cbus distant third... BTW 80+ languages are spoken throughout cleveland and over 100 nationalities are represented. Many of the ethnic groups are in suburbs( Ukrainian/polish/German in parma or Russian in Mayfield, etc) . I'm curious to know more about some cool info about cincy or cbus.

Old 01-22-2015, 05:54 AM

3,530 posts, read 5,044,724 times
^ No need to overreact to my response to Kamms, ok? (His own overreactions to just about everything are more than sufficient.)

Old 01-22-2015, 06:39 AM

2,365 posts, read 4,391,415 times
^ OK.. But I want hear legitimate suggestions about what makes cincy or cbus the best major city...

Old 01-22-2015, 12:05 PM

1,805 posts, read 2,265,996 times
Quote:
The Germanic presence in Cincinnati is still sort of there, true, (people saying "please," brats and metts and some old Bavarian church buildings)but due to the fact that many of the Cincy's German residents arrived between 1840 and 1860, it's now mostly German in name and history only. Grammer's is mostly gone. Over The Rhine is all yupped up and/or African American (maybe they're from the South Side of Germany?). Oktoberfest is now in September, making old dead Germans spin in their graves. Covington and Newport probably have a stronger German presence in 2015.
Jungle Jim's is neat, but most Whole Foods and Trader Joes have the same stuff. And a big market/glorified grocery store in a suburb is NOT the same as a REAL ethnic big city market. I do like Jungle Jims, but it and it's broken down monorail are starting to show some wear and tear. Don't recall hearing a bunch of pasty-white people from Fairfield speaking in different languages when I visited Jungle Jim's. However, the West Side Market in Cleveland on a Saturday is like the Tower Of Babel. This is a real city market, as landmark and acclaimed as the ones in San Francisco, Seattle, or London. It's just great. You'd have been better off using Findlay Market as an example if you want Cincinnati to look like a big city. Good butcher shops there with an old German history.
I truly love Cincy's Union Terminal complex, however. If that's not the coolest damn building in Ohio I don't know what is. And the Labor Day fireworks. And UDF ice cream. And I miss Marty and Joe. (I lived in SW Ohio for several years).
Cincy's got it all over Columbus, anyway. And I've resided in all three cities.

Last edited by kpl1228; 01-22-2015 at 12:34 PM..

Old 01-22-2015, 01:38 PM

4,823 posts, read 4,969,370 times
Quote:
Never heard of Jungle Jim's International Market...I'm sure there's a reason for that. Cinci's rich Germanic heritage is a fact; but that's all that's there. Cinci is a 19th Century German town. No thanks.

Let's wait and see what the tourists and conventioneers think about Cleveland and the WSM in the next couple of years. In the meantime, I suggest Cinci start passing the hat to build a new arena. Cbus and Indy are dominating down south.

Old 01-22-2015, 02:43 PM

16,345 posts, read 18,148,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1watertiger View Post
Jbch81, come visit Cleveland this summer and watch a pro baseball game. Maybe enjoy the lake or beaches or plan on seeing a world class orchestra.. Just a few things to experience in Cleveland that you can never do in cbus.. Seriously , you need to get real and stop trying to make cbus seem like some great city because its not and never was.
I've been to Cleveland and enjoy the city. What does that have to do with the post you just replied to?

Some of you Clevelanders are some of the biggest hypocrites. You b*tch and moan about people bashing your city (often when it's not even happening), but you dish it out all the time. First rule in complaining... make sure you're not throwing stones.

Anyway, this thread is going exactly the way all of them do. It's why I didn't even bother to vote. I like Columbus the most, of course, but I like all 3-Cs and wish them nothing but great things. I don't need to bash any of them to feel better about where I'm from, and don't want to be dragged into that.

Old 01-22-2015, 02:48 PM

4,918 posts, read 6,500,838 times
I usually disagree with jbcmh81 on everything he says but I do think Columbus has way more to offer as a city than Cincinnati and Cleveland thats why Columbus population has been growing and its one of the biggest 15 cities in the USA now. Columbus also gets a lot more international people than Cincy and Cleveland does so it feels more diverse plus i like cities with big universities in them. Ohio St is a major asset to Columbus something that Cleveland or Cincinnati does not have. Just an opinion thou, everyone has their own.

Old 01-22-2015, 02:56 PM

16,345 posts, read 18,148,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKWildcat1981 View Post
I usually disagree with jbcmh81 on everything he says but I do think Columbus has way more to offer as a city than Cincinnati and Cleveland thats why Columbus population has been growing and its one of the biggest 15 cities in the USA now. Columbus also gets a lot more international people than Cincy and Cleveland does so it feels more diverse plus i like cities with big universities in them. Ohio St is a major asset to Columbus something that Cleveland or Cincinnati does not have. Just an opinion thou, everyone has their own.
The thing is, I'm not even saying Columbus has more to offer, because on some things, it really doesn't. It has strengths and weaknesses like everywhere. It's my favorite city in Ohio, but contrary to popular belief, having a favorite does not mean I have to dislike all the others. That's silly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio