Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is your favorite major city in Ohio?
Cleveland 43 37.72%
Columbus 27 23.68%
Cincinnati 30 26.32%
Dayton 8 7.02%
Toledo 2 1.75%
Youngstown 1 0.88%
Akron 0 0%
Canton 3 2.63%
Voters: 114. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2015, 02:57 PM

152 posts, read 187,567 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamms View Post
Never heard of Jungle Jim's International Market...I'm sure there's a reason for that. Cinci's rich Germanic heritage is a fact; but that's all that's there. Cinci is a 19th Century German town. No thanks.

Let's wait and see what the tourists and conventioneers think about Cleveland and the WSM in the next couple of years. In the meantime, I suggest Cinci start passing the hat to build a new arena. Cbus and Indy are dominating down south.
Jungle Jim's has been featured on Modern Marvels. The reason you have not heard of it..insert juvenile response here!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2015, 02:59 PM

4,918 posts, read 6,492,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
The thing is, I'm not even saying Columbus has more to offer, because on some things, it really doesn't. It has strengths and weaknesses like everywhere. It's my favorite city in Ohio, but contrary to popular belief, having a favorite does not mean I have to dislike all the others. That's silly.
Most of Ohioans that are not from Columbus usually hate it, they think its just an overgrown cowtown but it really has a lot too offer. I like Columbus better than Cincinnati and Cleveland but its just an opinion, everyone has a different opinion no way to prove who is right because its an opinion lol

Old 01-22-2015, 03:13 PM

3,844 posts, read 9,305,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by immersedincincy View Post
Jungle Jim's has been featured on Modern Marvels. The reason you have not heard of it..insert juvenile response here!
And Cleveland's Westside Market is often featured on national TV.

Anthony Bourdain:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9axN9w1n2Z8&sns=em

Anthony Bourdain talks Cleveland, Paula Deen and a trip to PlayhouseSquare | cleveland.com

Old 01-22-2015, 04:08 PM

7,084 posts, read 8,984,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpl1228 View Post
Oktoberfest is now in September, making old dead Germans spin in their graves.
Oktoberfest runs for 16 days ending on the first Sunday in October, this year will be Sept 19-Oct 4. The Cincinnati Oktoberfest starts at the same time but only lasts one weekend and does not come close to the one in München which is massive and brings visitors from all over the world.

Old 01-22-2015, 04:35 PM

3,530 posts, read 5,038,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpl1228 View Post
The Germanic presence in Cincinnati is still sort of there, true, (people saying "please," brats and metts and some old Bavarian church buildings)but due to the fact that many of the Cincy's German residents arrived between 1840 and 1860, it's now mostly German in name and history only. Grammer's is mostly gone. Over The Rhine is all yupped up and/or African American (maybe they're from the South Side of Germany?). Oktoberfest is now in September, making old dead Germans spin in their graves. Covington and Newport probably have a stronger German presence in 2015...
Such a summary as this should be regarded as merely a facile attempt to downplay or obscure the importance of Cincinnati's richest cultural asset, its Germanic heritage.

Old 01-22-2015, 05:05 PM

3,530 posts, read 5,038,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by woxyroxme View Post
Oktoberfest runs for 16 days ending on the first Sunday in October, this year will be Sept 19-Oct 4. The Cincinnati Oktoberfest starts at the same time but only lasts one weekend and does not come close to the one in München which is massive and brings visitors from all over the world.
So what? What's been conveniently left unsaid is that the Cincinnati "Oktoberfest" is the world's largest such celebration outside of Munich itself and that in only one weekend Cincy's massive, gala event always attracts anywhere from 550,000-650,000 people. But, then again, so do "Taste of Cincinnati" (Memorial Day weekend) and "Riverfest" (Labor Day weekend).

Old 01-22-2015, 05:42 PM

4,823 posts, read 4,962,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by immersedincincy View Post
So does Cincinnati have something comparable to the 4 acres known as Jungle Jim's since it is in Fairlawn, OH, northwest of 1-275 and well away from downtown or OTR.

The WSM in Cleveland is very accessible in central Cleveland, especially with the Red Line train station right there. Great view of CLE's skyline as well, especially at night.

Here you go: Cinci-Jungle Jim's/CLE-WSM (1912)
Cinci-The Banks/CLE-The Flats
Cinci-The Classical Music H of F/CLE-Rock-n-Roll H of Fame (Paul McCartney is inducting Ringo Starr this year in Cleveland)
Cinci-The Jungle/CLE-The Dawg Pound
Cinci-Jettsetter/CLE-Fodor's/T & L/NY Times/LA Times

There has to more to add to this list. Notice all of Cleveland's were first.

Cinci always comes up with something Cleveland has going on; I'm ready for the posts-of-denials coming on this one, but it's true and really funny. I lived in Cinci but thanks for adding Jungle Jim's to this hilarious list comparing it to Cleveland's WSM...lol.

I know I'm imagining all of this and your comments certainly in no way add to my point. You have completely eliminated any doubt that Cinci has the slightest trace of a hang-up about Cleveland.

I also hope Cinci is not trying to invent a ''tough-town'' image by referring to itself as ''da'Nati'' or ''d'Nati'' I can't remember which since it was so painful and cringe-worthy to read. Is ''da'Nati'' trying to pass itself off like Philly or Brooklyn now?

Old 01-22-2015, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKWildcat1981 View Post
Most of Ohioans that are not from Columbus usually hate it, they think its just an overgrown cowtown but it really has a lot too offer. I like Columbus better than Cincinnati and Cleveland but its just an opinion, everyone has a different opinion no way to prove who is right because its an opinion lol
No, not really. Most of Ohioans not from Cleveland, hate Cleveland. Cleveland doesn't consider Columbus or Cincinnati as being a rival. But opinions are as you say and everyone can have one.

Prior to living in Cincinnati, I always heard it was a nice city. Moving there, I found and heard a lot of animosity about Cleveland. It was obnoxious. Tons of Cleveland comments, and in the media as well.

Old 01-22-2015, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorman View Post
Such a summary as this should be regarded as merely a facile attempt to downplay or obscure the importance of Cincinnati's richest cultural asset, its Germanic heritage.
And John Boehner is the epitome of Cincinnati's Germanic heritage; the face of German Cincinnati.

Old 01-22-2015, 11:39 PM

4,918 posts, read 6,492,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamms View Post
No, not really. Most of Ohioans not from Cleveland, hate Cleveland. Cleveland doesn't consider Columbus or Cincinnati as being a rival. But opinions are as you say and everyone can have one.

Prior to living in Cincinnati, I always heard it was a nice city. Moving there, I found and heard a lot of animosity about Cleveland. It was obnoxious. Tons of Cleveland comments, and in the media as well.
Not a big fan of Cincinnati myself. Its a weird place no doubt its more like Kentucky than Ohio but the Ohioans think Kentucky citizens are hillbillies and the Kentucky citizens think Ohio people are annoying and obnoxious its a weird place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio