Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is your favorite major city in Ohio?
Cleveland 43 37.72%
Columbus 27 23.68%
Cincinnati 30 26.32%
Dayton 8 7.02%
Toledo 2 1.75%
Youngstown 1 0.88%
Akron 0 0%
Canton 3 2.63%
Voters: 114. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2015, 09:09 PM

4,918 posts, read 6,493,685 times

Advertisements

I would say Columbus thats a really nice city and a fun place to party, I like cities with big universities in them as well
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2015, 10:18 PM

16,345 posts, read 18,130,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1watertiger View Post
Maybe because almost half the states population lives in and around Cleveland and northeast ohio?
NEO has about 1/3rd the state's population, not half or almost half, and includes 18 counties. That would be the entire Columbus CSA plus the Dayton area counties and it'd be similar. Same with Cincinnati.

Old 01-15-2015, 10:58 PM

4,823 posts, read 4,964,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
Why would it necessarily be correlated to population?

Cincinnati's the biggest metro, so shouldn't they be ahead?
That's my point; Cinci isn't really the biggest metro.

Old 01-15-2015, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Maybe because almost half the states population lives in and around Cleveland and northeast ohio?
Exactly. The voting and ohio city-forum member numbers correlate to the largest metro region in the state, cleveland/neo

Old 01-15-2015, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorman View Post
I love this Cincinnati headline. See, in the recent months, Cleveland has been popping up on major real-deal travel publication 2015 destination lists. Fodor's, T & L, NY Times, LA Times etc.

I should have called this one in advance, but even I didn't see this coming from my imagined one-way Cincinnati rivalry with Cleveland. I've been back-n-forth on city forum a few times with Cinci folks denying this rivalry; especially acute with the RNC, The Banks, Classical Music Hall of Fame (or whatever its called) to name a few.

Now, not coincidentally, Cincinnati's ''respectable'' newspapers blare this headline to counter Cleveland's good news. Let's see, Jetsetter; no one has ever heard of it which is usually the case, though, when it's a ''pay to get on'' list.

Kinda sad.

Last edited by Kamms; 01-16-2015 at 12:05 AM..

Old 01-16-2015, 04:38 AM

2,365 posts, read 4,387,579 times
Quote:
NEO has about 1/3rd the state's population, not half or almost half, and includes 18 counties. That would be the entire Columbus CSA plus the Dayton area counties and it'd be similar. Same with Cincinnati.
False statement.. Northeast Ohio 16 counties have 4 mil.. If you include Huron, tuscararous, Erie, Holmes (20 counties) its 4.5 mil.. Almost half the states total population.

Old 01-16-2015, 07:11 AM

16,345 posts, read 18,130,459 times
Quote:
False statement.. Northeast Ohio 16 counties have 4 mil.. If you include Huron, tuscararous, Erie, Holmes (20 counties) its 4.5 mil.. Almost half the states total population.
When I looked it up, it listed 18 counties. Either way, Ohio has almost 11.7 million. Even at 4.5 million, that's still not half or almost half. And if you added 18-20 Ohio counties to either Cincinnati or Columbus, the population would at least be in the 4 million range, if not higher. The 12 counties of Columbus' CSA are about 2.5 million already. Throw in 6-8 more counties around Dayton, and you have it. The point is, NEO is obviously populated, but Ohio itself is one of the most dense in the nation, so you start adding up a bunch of counties to any of the 3-Cs and they end up pretty similar.

Old 01-16-2015, 09:42 AM

Quote:
When I looked it up, it listed 18 counties. Either way, Ohio has almost 11.7 million. Even at 4.5 million, that's still not half or almost half. And if you added 18-20 Ohio counties to either Cincinnati or Columbus, the population would at least be in the 4 million range, if not higher. The 12 counties of Columbus' CSA are about 2.5 million already. Throw in 6-8 more counties around Dayton, and you have it. The point is, NEO is obviously populated, but Ohio itself is one of the most dense in the nation, so you start adding up a bunch of counties to any of the 3-Cs and they end up pretty similar.
I didn't know Dayton was part of cbus now?? Central Ohio 20 counties would maybe be 3 mil.. Why do you always make Columbus to seem bigger than it is??

Old 01-16-2015, 10:29 AM

Quote:
In fact franklin is largest in central Ohio and Delaware county(Ohio's 15th most populated) is central Ohio's 2nd largest in population.. The other 10 in your metro is mostly farmland.. Give it up jbc, you wish cbus was as large an urban center as metro Cleveland or metro cincy.

Old 01-16-2015, 11:26 AM

Quote:
In fact franklin is largest in central Ohio and Delaware county(Ohio's 15th most populated) is central Ohio's 2nd largest in population.. The other 10 in your metro is mostly farmland.. Give it up jbc, you wish cbus was as large an urban center as metro Cleveland or metro cincy.
I've been through this metro population topic before. Cinci and Cbus love gloating that Cleveland metro is shrinking.

Cleveland metro's real issues are 1) stagnant population growth and 2) sprawl. If someone moves from Cuyahoga to Summit County now, Cleveland's metro is ''shrinking'' since Akron-Canton now have a separate designation. It's like not counting almost and addition 1 million people from Cinci or Cbus metro if that population was in say, Clermont or Delaware Counties. So, yes, Cleveland's metro ''shrank'' because people sprawled out of Cleveland into a growing Akron-Canton metro.

This is how Cinci has become the ''largest'' metro; another one of those 15 county metros reaching well into rural areas of Kentucky, Indiana and Ohio. Columbus same thing, sprawling area covering lots of counties. Akron's separate designation is due to Cleveland's sprawl.

It's all PR spin Columbus and especially Cinci like to gloat about without considering any of the foregoing. Cinci desperately needs to be the largest Ohio metro. The numbers make it look like almost 1 million people left the Cleveland area; which is all manipulated. One look at Cleveland's downtown skyline compared to Cinci's confirms which is the ''bigger'' city. Cinci has a nice downtown and all but it's small. It's skyline is nice, but smallish.

It's all a game but Cleveland is not liked by most Ohioans outside its area. So any bad news is played up while any good news is played down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio