Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is your favorite major city in Ohio?
Cleveland 43 37.72%
Columbus 27 23.68%
Cincinnati 30 26.32%
Dayton 8 7.02%
Toledo 2 1.75%
Youngstown 1 0.88%
Akron 0 0%
Canton 3 2.63%
Voters: 114. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2014, 06:22 PM

1,223 posts, read 1,043,705 times

Advertisements

I voted for where I live - Cleveland, but I've spent a decent amount of time in Columbus, and Cinci. I think the contest narrows down to one of the 3 big Cs (sorry Canton.) If you're a fan of traditional, old cities, then I think you have to rule out Columbus since it doesn't have the sports, mass transit, old ethnic neighborhoods, history of old money, etc.

The contest between Cinci and Cleveland is tough. I like both cities and there are things I really envy about Cinci. Love Mt Eden, Mt. Adams, riverfront, downtown, Over the Rhine, etc. So I admit my Cleveland bias here. Oh, and I really love visiting Columbus: short north, Franklin Park Conservatory, COSI, metroparks, downtown riverfront - its all good. We are lucky in Ohio to have 3 cities in the 2nd tier of American cities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2014, 04:04 PM

7,081 posts, read 8,947,145 times
I picked Dayton, back in my younger days it was a lot more fun than Cincinnati.

Old 01-02-2015, 08:54 AM

417 posts, read 594,685 times
Cleveland is a good city. It is very diverse and the surrounding suburbs have quality homes that do not all look the same.

Old 01-04-2015, 12:54 PM

1,279 posts, read 4,673,056 times
Columbus for being a modern day economic success story, it's great urban neighborhoods, it's modern spin on things- I.e.i love the wexner center for arts-, and how it has gone from being vanilla to having great diversity in the core around the central city- especially Asian, African, and Hispanic populations that have exploded there this century ( selfishly it's really for all the ethnic food and markets now in all the strip malls in areas like northland or bethel and Henderson rd)

Old 01-10-2015, 02:38 PM

1,068 posts, read 1,429,710 times
The 3 Cs are really the only ones in the competition: the others aren't even major in Ohio. Cleveland and Columbus have some things going in their favor, but Cincinnati wins for being the most holistic in its comeback: it has added entire neighborhoods to its roster of destinations while Cleveland is still touting Ohio City and the Warehouse District like it did over a decade ago, same goes for Columbus and the Short North. On top of that, it means Cincinnati has more full-fledged urban neighborhoods to explore than the others. For visitors getting around these cities, Cleveland added a successful BRT line, Cincinnati is building the 1st rail line in Ohio in decades with its streetcar line and investing in bikeways including the 1st protected bike lane in Ohio, while Columbus..., well, the less said the better. So to summarize, Cincinnati offers the most neighborhoods and more ways to reach them without a car and has the best architecture without a doubt. Columbus and Cleveland are worth a visit (in that order), but their Achilles's heel is to few neighborhoods with enough destinations and not enough viable alternatives to driving to reach many destinations respectively.

Old 01-10-2015, 03:52 PM

9,682 posts, read 9,402,860 times
This one is tough because the three big C's are good for different reasons. Several have mentioned Cincinnati's stability and comeback, Columbus's modern economy, and Cleveland's history and cultural significance. If you could combine all of their strengths, you'd have one kick ass city.

Columbus Strengths: Liberal, modern amenities, shopping, good road network, young population, economic growth, diverse neighborhoods, come as you are/ non-pretentious mentality, Ohio State University.

Columbus Weaknesses: Mass transit (car oriented), needs some major infill in the core, no professional sports

Cleveland Strengths: Cultural hotbed, arts, sciences, medical facilities/ Cleveland Clinic, architecture, diversity, most character

Cleveland Weaknesses: Crime, urban decay, weak economic growth, poverty

Cincinnati Strengths: Blend of Midwestern, Southern, and touch of Appalachian culture (I see this as a strength, others would disagree), arts, scenery, neighborhood cohesiveness, sports/activities/parks/recreation, redevelopment and infrastructure investment, preservation, strong/stable economy/not out of control growth, universities.

Cincinnati Weaknesses: Racial tensions/no attempt to understand people that are different from you mindset still present, decaying infrastructure, outdated road network, amenities/shopping/restaurants/jobs are mostly centralized yet most of the customer base lives in the suburbs (car oriented), crime

Winner based off of first impressions: Columbus

Most potential: Cincinnati

My favorite: I like all three, but Columbus is my favorite.

Old 01-10-2015, 04:09 PM

275 posts, read 455,621 times
"Columbus - No Professional Sports"

Wut.

NHL - Blue Jackets
MLS - Crew

And Ohio State athletics are probably professional if you want to get right down to it...

Old 01-10-2015, 09:01 PM

2,365 posts, read 4,376,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mplsite View Post
The 3 Cs are really the only ones in the competition: the others aren't even major in Ohio. Cleveland and Columbus have some things going in their favor, but Cincinnati wins for being the most holistic in its comeback: it has added entire neighborhoods to its roster of destinations while Cleveland is still touting Ohio City and the Warehouse District like it did over a decade ago, same goes for Columbus and the Short North. On top of that, it means Cincinnati has more full-fledged urban neighborhoods to explore than the others. For visitors getting around these cities, Cleveland added a successful BRT line, Cincinnati is building the 1st rail line in Ohio in decades with its streetcar line and investing in bikeways including the 1st protected bike lane in Ohio, while Columbus..., well, the less said the better. So to summarize, Cincinnati offers the most neighborhoods and more ways to reach them without a car and has the best architecture without a doubt. Columbus and Cleveland are worth a visit (in that order), but their Achilles's heel is to few neighborhoods with enough destinations and not enough viable alternatives to driving to reach many destinations respectively.
You are completely out of touch in regards to Cleveland and its growing neighborhoods. The flats , Edgwater, Gordon sq., playhouse sq, gateway to name a few . Cleveland has by far the most extensive mass transit ( buses, brt , light-rail ,heavy-rail rapids, free trollys) than any other city in Ohio.. Cleveland has the fastest growing and most populous downtown... And I like the fact cleveland has NFL, MLB and the NBA.. Cleveland also is located on Ohio's greatest asset, lake Erie!

Last edited by 1watertiger; 01-10-2015 at 09:08 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 01-11-2015, 01:18 PM

16,345 posts, read 18,068,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mplsite View Post
God, we can only hope this for you.

Old 01-12-2015, 04:00 PM

869 posts, read 1,278,714 times
Cleveland has definitely killed it with national media love as of late:

1) New York Times names Cleveland a top place to visit in 2015 | cleveland.com

2) L.A. Times puts Cleveland on its list of top places to visit in 2015 | cleveland.com

3) Cleveland makes Fodor's must-see travel list for 2015 -- just days after Travel + Leisure includes city on its top-destinations list | cleveland.com

4) Cleveland makes Travel + Leisure's list of the best places to visit in 2015 | cleveland.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio