Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2014, 09:23 AM

36,853 posts, read 17,363,818 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR_C View Post
Unfortunately, no. I recently checked sale prices of comparable houses in the neighborhood, and was shocked at how low they were. So, even if I were willing to sell the house that low, I couldn't, because I still owe more than that on my mortgage. I'm in the process of renting it out. (I'm told that's the smart move, financially, anyway. I just don't want to be a landlord.)
Delusion meet reality. Lol.

Renting will do a helluva job on your property value.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2014, 10:35 AM

5,510 posts, read 9,493,295 times
LOL, I knew you would comment! I wonder when the other one will comment?

Yes, you can get an awesome deal on a good house in a good neighborhood, if you're willing to overlook the negative hype.

There are 3 things that changed in the Garden District Neighborhood over the last 12 years:
1. the city schools went from mediocre (at best) to bad (obviously a city-wide problem)
2. there are more vacant houses because of the foreclosure problem (also a city-wide problem)
3. the percentage of non-white residents increased

IMO, only 2 of these should affect property values, but unfortunately, that's not reality.

Oh, and #4, the owner of the nearby grocery store was paid to close by the new chain grocery store that opened in Mahoning Plaza, about a mile and a half down the road.

Last edited by JR_C; 08-05-2014 at 10:59 AM.. Reason: added #4

Old 08-05-2014, 12:52 PM

There are no "good neighborhoods" in Ytown. That's where the delusion begins.

You bought a home in a city with the worst schools in the state, massive unemployment, the most impoverished city in the nation (by several metrics), a huge crime problem, racially white minority, a food desert, low income, and with a low population of formally educated folks.

Then you wonder why your mortgage is more than the house is worth???

And you think property values are going to rise???

How?

Real estate is buy low...sell high. But you have to have an indication that you're on the cusp of an upswing to make any money. My brother's friend bought a house in Vegas in 1989 for $75,000. It's worth $200,000 today. My dad's army buddy bought a house just outside San Diego in 1960 for $40,000. Today it's worth $1.1 million.

There have been ups and downs of course but still...these were sound investments. I assume this would be the same case in North Dakota 4-5 years ago before it boomed.

It's hard to predict where the booms/busts will fall. The reason you're stuck with this house is you believe Ytown is magically going to boom at any moment for whatever reason. What indication is there investing any money in Ytown in anything will reap reward in the future? Not just 5-10 years but 30+?

Old 08-05-2014, 03:02 PM

Edit: I have to add...

• The schools went from mediocre (at best) to bad in only the last few years????

Complete delusion. My freshman year at South (just over 20 years ago) we were all hauled into the gym as we walked in the building and told to put all contraband on a long table. Brass would leave, we had five minutes, brass would return...no questions asked. Then we would go thru the metal detector as well as a pat down post purge.

I was sitting in front near the table. In all my years in the criminal justice field I have yet to see such a wide variety of guns, knives, and drugs as I did that day. My friend and I seriously tried to count up the street value of the contraband but it was too much.

We never did go thru the post-purge search. Just a ploy.

That's just one story. Between me and my brother (who taught in the city) that's just the tip of the iceberg.

• There are more vacant houses due to foreclosures???

Ok, true but you didn't see that trend? It has been ongoing since the late 70s. What do you expect? There aren't enough decent-paying jobs to sustain anyone making house payments. You don't expect folks at GM, one of the hospitals, or YSU to buy in the city and send their kids to the schools? I mean...yeah...you probably do but you're delusional.

• Non-whites becoming more of the total population. Well, here's another trend that's been going on for the last 45 years. Did you believe white folks in Poland and Canfield were going to start moving back into the city? For what? It is what is.

• The grocery store issue probably didn't negatively impact your property value. In fact, if anything the overall impact of Bottom Dollar moving in was probably positive. You may not have a local grocery as close to your house as you once did but a regional chain decided to take a chance and open up several stores citywide in a town that resembles Berlin circa 1945.

And who do you think is going to buy these old rehabbed homes in the city? Not the people who need to in order to make the city more liveable. You need a mom, dad, 2.3 kids, Fido, 2 bachelors min. (Masters would be nice) working in tech, medicine to turn the tide. Then these folks have to believe in the schools, parks, churches, etc to invest not only their money but stabilizing influence as to build the city back up.

Single hipsters/academics can't make Ytown go. This town ain't Berkeley, Portland, or Boulder.

Old 08-05-2014, 05:47 PM

Since you put so much effort into replying, I feel compelled to reply.

Of course, I don't agree with much of it, but let's take it at face value. Do you have any solutions, or do you just expect the metro to continue to decline until there's nothing left?

Old 08-05-2014, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Since you put so much effort into replying, I feel compelled to reply.

Of course, I don't agree with much of it, but let's take it at face value. Do you have any solutions, or do you just expect the metro to continue to decline until there's nothing left?
Solution to what? You don't acknowledge the problems. You want solutions to what you believe are phantom problems?

Old 08-05-2014, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
Solution to what? You don't acknowledge the problems. You want solutions to what you believe are phantom problems?
Why does it matter what I think? You believe the problems are real, and so I'm asking for your solutions to them.

For my part, I believe that most of Youngstown's problems are caused by disinvestment. My solution is reinvestment.

Old 08-05-2014, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Why does it matter what I think? You believe the problems are real, and so I'm asking for your solutions to them.

For my part, I believe that most of Youngstown's problems are caused by disinvestment. My solution is reinvestment.
Reinvestment of what and for whom?

Old 08-06-2014, 05:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
Reinvestment of what and for whom?
Go back and reread my posts from the last few pages.

You didn't answer the question.

Old 08-06-2014, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Go back and reread my posts from the last few pages.

You didn't answer the question.
What's the official question?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio