Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2014, 01:57 PM

498 posts, read 1,508,363 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR_C View Post
they think anyone else who doesn't share their feelings, are wearing rose colored glasses.
Activists think that anyone who does not agree with them are just being negative and should be shouted down.
Quote:
Sure, some people share your opinion, but that doesn't make it universal.
Actually, ghetto is a common word that people outside of the area associate with Youngstown.
Quote:
Originally Posted by warren zee View Post
why are you posting here?
Why does anyone post here? Activism requires getting out from behind the keyboard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2014, 05:06 PM

1,373 posts, read 1,656,239 times
Look at Boardman. Some of it is called Y town, but there's a different school district and a different feel.

Old 07-28-2014, 06:34 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,382,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoulJourn View Post
Look at Boardman. Some of it is called Y town, but there's a different school district and a different feel.
Boardman Township can still mean Ytown schools so you have to be careful.

There's absolutely no reason for anyone to live in the city of Youngstown. The crime rates in the best parts of the city are still above average and the schools are terrible.

If you are going to live in the area and want/need access to downtown/YSU simply move into one of the burbs off the freeway exits. I personally like the southern burbs (Poland, North Lima, Beaver) because you have access to shopping on 224 in Boardman as well as the downtown/YSU combo via 680. Plus you cut off time going to Pittsburgh for events.

Old 07-28-2014, 07:31 PM

5,510 posts, read 9,498,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
Boardman Township can still mean Ytown schools so you have to be careful.
The part of Boardman that is in the YCSD, is the area bounded by I680 to the west, Yo.Poland Rd. to the east, and Woodlawn Ave. to the south.

Also, much of Coitsville Township, and the small part of Campbell, east of Struthers-Coitsville Rd. is in the YCSD.

(AFAIK, you can't link directly to a map with specific layer configurations, or I would have. But, this is an excellent source of information for Mahoning County: Welcome to GIS Mahoning County)

Quote:
The crime rates in the best parts of the city are still above average
Can you share where you found the neighborhood breakdown of the crime stats?

Old 07-29-2014, 11:21 PM

Quote:
The part of Boardman that is in the YCSD, is the area bounded by I680 to the west, Yo.Poland Rd. to the east, and Woodlawn Ave. to the south.

Also, much of Coitsville Township, and the small part of Campbell, east of Struthers-Coitsville Rd. is in the YCSD.

(AFAIK, you can't link directly to a map with specific layer configurations, or I would have. But, this is an excellent source of information for Mahoning County: Welcome to GIS Mahoning County)

Can you share where you found the neighborhood breakdown of the crime stats?
Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

Kirkmere is the "safest" neighborhood at 5,639. The national average is 3,246. Poland is 886. Canfield is 1,463.

Last edited by Yac; 08-27-2014 at 06:34 AM..

Old 07-30-2014, 06:09 AM

Quote:
Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

Kirkmere is the "safest" neighborhood at 5,639. The national average is 3,246. Poland is 886. Canfield is 1,463.
Thanks for the link. At first glance, I'm not really surprised. It will be interesting to see how neighborhoods compare to other cities. For example, I did have time to compare Schenley (my old neighborhood in Youngstown) with Cleveland's Ohio City, and I see that Schenley's crime index is lower. In fact, FWIW, Schenley's "livability" score is one point higher than Ohio City's.

Last edited by Yac; 08-27-2014 at 06:34 AM..

Old 07-30-2014, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Thanks for the link. At first glance, I'm not really surprised. It will be interesting to see how neighborhoods compare to other cities. For example, I did have time to compare Schenley (my old neighborhood in Youngstown) with Cleveland's Ohio City, and I see that Schenley's crime index is lower. In fact, FWIW, Schenley's "livability" score is one point higher than Ohio City's.
Schenley was second to Kirkmere in safety at 7,176. That's more than double the national average. The "safe" parts of Ytown only seem "safer" because everyone compares them to the rest of the city. If Schenley and Kirkmere (basically the bulk of the west side) were their own city their crime index would be just about double the national average.

Old 07-30-2014, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Schenley was second to Kirkmere in safety at 7,176. That's more than double the national average. The "safe" parts of Ytown only seem "safer" because everyone compares them to the rest of the city. If Schenley and Kirkmere (basically the bulk of the west side) were their own city their crime index would be just about double the national average.
My point is that "double the national average" is not uncommon in cities. I'm not comparing Schenley (or other Youngstown neighborhoods) to other Youngstown neighborhoods, but other neighborhoods in other Ohio cities.

Also, that site has a ranking feature, and of all cities in the US over 50k, when ranking worst crime rates, Youngstown comes in at #44. Some notable cities that the site claims to have higher crime rates are: Orlando FL, Salt Lake City, UT, Miami, and Indianapolis.

Don't get me wrong, there's too much crime in Youngstown. But don't lose perspective. If crime is going to deter you from living in a neighborhood like Schenley, then it should deter you from living in many other neighborhoods--some of which are quite popular--in other Ohio cities.

Old 07-30-2014, 07:20 PM

Quote:
My point is that "double the national average" is not uncommon in cities. I'm not comparing Schenley (or other Youngstown neighborhoods) to other Youngstown neighborhoods, but other neighborhoods in other Ohio cities.

Also, that site has a ranking feature, and of all cities in the US over 50k, when ranking worst crime rates, Youngstown comes in at #44. Some notable cities that the site claims to have higher crime rates are: Orlando FL, Salt Lake City, UT, Miami, and Indianapolis.

Don't get me wrong, there's too much crime in Youngstown. But don't lose perspective. If crime is going to deter you from living in a neighborhood like Schenley, then it should deter you from living in many other neighborhoods--some of which are quite popular--in other Ohio cities.
Youngstown has 65,000 people. It's #532 in population. It isn't 1930 anymore when Ytown peaked at #45 in largest U.S. cities.

You can't compare Youngstown to Salt Lake City or Orlando or Miami.

If I'm living in a neighborhood similar to Schenley in Cleveland, Columbus, or Cincy I have a huge bump in my quality of life due to having access to sports, music, entertainment, arts, etc that Ytown can't touch.

It's delusional to compare Youngstown to cities outside of the 50K to 75K population figure.

I might as well compare Poland to San Diego.

There are 299 cities in the U.S. with a population between 50,000 and 74,999. Youngstown is #286 in crime out of those 299.

Springfield and Canton are actually worse than Ytown so I guess...that's good??? I'm not very familiar with those two cities. They may have parts of their city where crime is average or below.

In any event, holding up Kirkmere as Ytown's best neighborhood with a crime index much higher than the national average is pretty absurd.

Old 07-30-2014, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 000000 View Post
Actually, ghetto is a common word that people outside of the area associate with Youngstown.
I've lived in 4 states from coast to coast. When people ask me where I'm from I prepare for the look of shock on their faces. They always ask if the reputation is true. All I do is shake my head in the affirmative and say "Hey, what can ya do?"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio