Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you support legal Marijuana in Ohio?
Yes 48 77.42%
Only Medical Marijuana 6 9.68%
No 8 12.90%
Voters: 62. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2014, 02:26 PM

24,149 posts, read 32,644,420 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHKID View Post
I'm wondering, especially since another 2 states + DC legalized it. And many other states have medical marijuana, including Michigan.

Also, how would you all feel about legal marijuana (or even medical marijuana) in Ohio?
I attached a poll to capture everyone's thoughts more easily as well.
Yes. And not exclusively for medical use. I support complete legalization of marijuana for both medical and recreational use.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2014, 04:36 PM

1,870 posts, read 1,910,604 times
What happens when your neighbors get together and have a drinking party? In many cases, they yell and whoop-it-up and maybe bring out some guns and shoot them in the air.

What happens when your neighbors get together and have a pot smoking party? They get more and more mellow and maybe later get the munchies, order pizza and fall asleep.
Quote:
Originally Posted by warren zee View Post
Want to make guns illegal?
I find it ironic that most people I've talked to who want to see pot legalized, want to see guns criminalized and vice versa, those who are strong 2nd amendment types tend to be totally against decriminalization of narcotics.

The thing is that you can argue the same thing and substitute guns for drugs or drugs for guns and the arguments are the same. Black markets, popular demand, infinite supply, etc. If the effort to eliminate the right to guns ever succeeds, they will be manufactured South of the border and smuggled in. Efforts to prevent smuggling will make the product ( firearms ) more expensive and thus more profitable to smuggle .....

Take all the above and replace gun with pot and see what the argument sounds like.
Quote:
Originally Posted by warren zee View Post
Adults need to keep dangerous items away from their children.
Better yet, teach children how harmful those dangerous things are.

I never did hard drugs as a kid, but I had every opportunity, but knew better. Call it indoctrination, but it worked. I knew what acid, for instance would do and thus didn't "do." I still want to though. If I ever get terminal cancer or something, one of the first things I'll do is drop some acid. Otherwise, not.

What we really need is licenses to have children. A lot of people do more harm to society by reproducing than by snorting some blow ( ... or something ... ). Of course, that's another thread in another forum ...

Last edited by IDtheftV; 11-09-2014 at 04:47 PM..

Old 11-10-2014, 06:41 AM

15,896 posts, read 12,022,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IDtheftV View Post
What happens when your neighbors get together and have a drinking party? In many cases, they yell and whoop-it-up and maybe bring out some guns and shoot them in the air.

What happens when your neighbors get together and have a pot smoking party? They get more and more mellow and maybe later get the munchies, order pizza and fall asleep.
I find it ironic that most people I've talked to who want to see pot legalized, want to see guns criminalized and vice versa, those who are strong 2nd amendment types tend to be totally against decriminalization of narcotics.

The thing is that you can argue the same thing and substitute guns for drugs or drugs for guns and the arguments are the same. Black markets, popular demand, infinite supply, etc. If the effort to eliminate the right to guns ever succeeds, they will be manufactured South of the border and smuggled in. Efforts to prevent smuggling will make the product ( firearms ) more expensive and thus more profitable to smuggle .....

Take all the above and replace gun with pot and see what the argument sounds like.
Better yet, teach children how harmful those dangerous things are.

I never did hard drugs as a kid, but I had every opportunity, but knew better. Call it indoctrination, but it worked. I knew what acid, for instance would do and thus didn't "do." I still want to though. If I ever get terminal cancer or something, one of the first things I'll do is drop some acid. Otherwise, not.

What we really need is licenses to have children. A lot of people do more harm to society by reproducing than by snorting some blow ( ... or something ... ). Of course, that's another thread in another forum ...

I can assure you, I'm not one of those people! I'm pro 2nd Amendment and pro legalization!

Old 11-10-2014, 07:26 AM

10,135 posts, read 27,541,658 times
Quote:

First, let me state that your premise contained in the part of this post that I deleted is completely correct and I agree with it.

Second, I am in favor of decriminalizing anything one does to oneself. This covers the waterfront from euthanasia to Rx medicines to Oxycontin to self castration.

However, I think that you need to fast forward to the current decade.

Back in 1975, one would smoke some pot, get the munchies, order a pizza and fall asleep. Today's drugs and drug culture is a lot different than you remember it.

Old 11-10-2014, 07:37 PM

1,870 posts, read 1,910,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
I can assure you, I'm not one of those people! I'm pro 2nd Amendment and pro legalization!
In your experience, do you find it more common to be pro+pro or pro/against?

I find it frustrating to have to point out what I think are obvious identical points to people who either are gunñ/potò or gunò/potñ. When a person that thinks that the law cannot control their favorite hobby, but just enforcing stuff "harder" will make the other thing go away from the streets it is maddening.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson513 View Post
Back in 1975, one would smoke some pot, get the munchies, order a pizza and fall asleep. Today's drugs and drug culture is a lot different than you remember it.
Not really. I was specifically comparing alcohol with pot. I was comparing my concern or the concern of the police with groups of drinkers with groups of pot smokers. People are arrested for smoking pot, but not for stoned shooting up a party or bar.

Back in 1975, the group of partiers doing speed or coke, would not act the same as the pot smokers.

The only difference between '1975 pot' and 'today pot' is that one toke replaces more than one joint. Today pot >> 1975 pot from a dose of THC standpoint.

Last edited by IDtheftV; 11-10-2014 at 08:01 PM..

Old 11-10-2014, 08:09 PM

3,513 posts, read 5,180,892 times
Quote:
The only difference between '1975 pot' and 'today pot' is that one toke replaces more than one joint. Today pot >> 1975 pot from a dose of THC standpoint.
Exactly. That's why FDA regulation of marijuana is essential. The Feds can easily control what kinds of plants make the cut and what doesn't.

Right now, a lot of very scary stuff passes for pot. Like take K2, which is "legal" but far more dangerous than pot itself. And when someone buys pot now, who knows what they really get? There are no standards, no safety precautions, nothing. That's what makes it scary.

Old 11-11-2014, 06:22 AM

15,896 posts, read 12,022,875 times
Quote:
In your experience, do you find it more common to be pro+pro or pro/against?

I find it frustrating to have to point out what I think are obvious identical points to people who either are gunñ/potò or gunò/potñ. When a person that thinks that the law cannot control their favorite hobby, but just enforcing stuff "harder" will make the other thing go away from the streets it is maddening.

Not really. I was specifically comparing alcohol with pot. I was comparing my concern or the concern of the police with groups of drinkers with groups of pot smokers. People are arrested for smoking pot, but not for stoned shooting up a party or bar.

Back in 1975, the group of partiers doing speed or coke, would not act the same as the pot smokers.

I suppose it really depends. Most who proclaim to be republican are pro 2nd, but anti-legalization. My uncle is an example. He is a staunch republican, and claims to be a small government guy, but when I told him that cannabis should be legalized, he looked at me like I had fire coming out of my ears or something. I have a neighbor up the street that proclaims to be a republican, smokes weed, and is pro 2nd. My buddy an ex-marine who proclaims to be republican (though I feel is more libertarian) is a strong proponent of the 2nd, has a CCW, and isn't above the occasional toke from time to time. As for me, I am a libertarian. It is my belief that it is the closest ideology that adheres to the Constitution. Having said that, I support the 2nd, and I support ending prohibition, because it should not be the government's business acting like a nanny in telling us what we can eat, drink, or smoke. I don't really know anyone who is pro-legal and anti-2nd. Though, if I had to guess my sister-in-law is probably anti-legalization, and also supports gun control. I'd have to say she is your stereotypical "soccer mom."

Old 12-22-2014, 10:22 AM

703 posts, read 873,519 times
Just as a little anecdote, think about all of the families from Ohio who have to move to Colorado and leave a place they really like just so they can treat their children with medical marijuana when nothing else works, but it's barred in Ohio, and you can get into trouble by doing it. We are not New Jersey, and Chris Christie shall never touch our state. I think the three major Ohio counties (Cuyahoga, Franklin, Hamilton) counties are going to vote in favor in the case that we would happen to have this appear on the ballot, however, the rural Ohio counties are going to have a difficult time accepting it, such as conservative/republican & rural Holmes County, Ohio. And really it's because they're so secluded that they haven't met enough people who are actually in need of that type of treatment. They're too used to seeing things like marijuana destroy their youth and small towns. Plus, what else do rural police officers have to do other than drug busts?

Old 12-22-2014, 10:33 AM

2,194 posts, read 3,860,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OHKID View Post
I'm wondering, especially since another 2 states + DC legalized it. And many other states have medical marijuana, including Michigan.

Also, how would you all feel about legal marijuana (or even medical marijuana) in Ohio?
I attached a poll to capture everyone's thoughts more easily as well.
I don't think it's very far away. The law in Ohio already states that possession of a small amount of marijuana is a ticketable offense... whereas years ago that would warrant going to jail. In fact, when I left Kentucky in 2011, that was still the case... no clue if it's still that way but I had a couple friends go to jail for simple possession.

I would vote yes. It's not my right to tell someone else what drugs they can or cannot use... especially when law enforcement resources are better used tracking down heroin dealers rather than pot.

Old 12-22-2014, 10:48 AM

703 posts, read 873,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hensleya1 View Post
I don't think it's very far away. The law in Ohio already states that possession of a small amount of marijuana is a ticketable offense... whereas years ago that would warrant going to jail. In fact, when I left Kentucky in 2011, that was still the case... no clue if it's still that way but I had a couple friends go to jail for simple possession.

I would vote yes. It's not my right to tell someone else what drugs they can or cannot use... especially when law enforcement resources are better used tracking down heroin dealers rather than pot.
There are definitely more The only issue would be tracking down plain marijuana, and giving the assistant district attorney a hard time with kids using marijuana with a few alterations that send kids to the hospital. I'm not sure, but I still think there's a responsibility issue with the use of marijuana, although medical is a definite. I think formalized stores could take care of lowering toxicity levels and such. No sales to minors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio