Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you support legal Marijuana in Ohio?
Yes 48 77.42%
Only Medical Marijuana 6 9.68%
No 8 12.90%
Voters: 62. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2014, 02:07 PM

7,084 posts, read 8,966,057 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDtheftV View Post

The only difference between '1975 pot' and 'today pot' is that one toke replaces more than one joint. Today pot >> 1975 pot from a dose of THC standpoint.
This is not necessarily true either, the commercial street weed is no more potent now than the stuff I smoked in the 70s, the potent stuff comes from unpollenated female plants grown indoors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2014, 10:13 AM

703 posts, read 872,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by woxyroxme View Post
This is not necessarily true either, the commercial street weed is no more potent now than the stuff I smoked in the 70s, the potent stuff comes from unpollenated female plants grown indoors.
Exactly. From an illegal standpoint, drugs have evolved into some seriously dangerous ones from its earlier counterparts. Another trick dealers use would be making drugs that are classified as 'illegal', you know. Drugs are all around. good and bad. A recreational pot state has to control where its pot is being sold.

Old 12-26-2014, 11:15 AM

8 posts, read 9,451 times
Once some the non progressive states like OH and PA vote for it we will have it made. For the last 40 years or so these states have voted themselves out of good jobs. Still today they complain that there is no real work to be had. Well now is their chance to buck the system and start a new industrial spirit. And finally stop listening to the sound bite reports from the so called media.

Old 12-27-2014, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IsSomeoneWatching View Post
Once some the non progressive states like OH and PA vote for it we will have it made. For the last 40 years or so these states have voted themselves out of good jobs. Still today they complain that there is no real work to be had. Well now is their chance to buck the system and start a new industrial spirit. And finally stop listening to the sound bite reports from the so called media.
There are a lot of jobs in Ohio, especially if you're in the city. The rural areas are a little depressed in terms of real work I will say that, but not all of Ohio. They could add more with recreational marijuana stores. That is true.

Old 12-28-2014, 07:24 AM

10,135 posts, read 27,509,681 times
Legalization has nothing to do with jobs except that it may reduce employment. The Colorado phenomenon is a one-off. People moved to Colorado to stay high. No one is moving to Ohio to stay high.

And, a population of folks has a certain amount of $$ to spend on recreation. It can be a restaurant night, the movies, an amusement park, concert, liquor or pot. And, legalization simply shifts the spending on recreation to recreational drugs. There is no new money in the system to expand employment by persons spending what they would have spent for a night out on pot. In fact, due to the high product cost/labor ratio for pot, meaning that less employees are needed for the same spending on pot than for a restaurant, employment will go down. Further, the State will take a bigger bite of tax out of pot spending than restaurant or other recreational spending and that money is into the black hole of government waste.

So, sorry to disappoint, but as much as I support legalization of all things, employment is not a benefit to be expected.

Old 12-28-2014, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson513 View Post
Legalization has nothing to do with jobs except that it may reduce employment. The Colorado phenomenon is a one-off. People moved to Colorado to stay high. No one is moving to Ohio to stay high.

And, a population of folks has a certain amount of $$ to spend on recreation. It can be a restaurant night, the movies, an amusement park, concert, liquor or pot. And, legalization simply shifts the spending on recreation to recreational drugs. There is no new money in the system to expand employment by persons spending what they would have spent for a night out on pot. In fact, due to the high product cost/labor ratio for pot, meaning that less employees are needed for the same spending on pot than for a restaurant, employment will go down. Further, the State will take a bigger bite of tax out of pot spending than restaurant or other recreational spending and that money is into the black hole of government waste.

So, sorry to disappoint, but as much as I support legalization of all things, employment is not a benefit to be expected.
It is expected because someone has to run the operating, and there you have it, jobs.

Old 12-28-2014, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lewimaech235 View Post
It is expected because someone has to run the operating, and there you have it, jobs.

How silly. Who do you think is currently getting that pot money that consumers are expected to spend? I'll tell you: restaurant workers, bar personnel, amusement employees. So, when pot workers are hired, restaurant servers will lose their jobs. Unless, of course, you are proposing that the government pay for the pot and then it will be government workers who will lose their jobs. Or, maybe the pot will be purchased with the rent money or the grocery money or the car payment. Then other bad things will happen. Or, maybe pot smokers have a lot of extra cash sitting around that is just sitting in savings accounts doing nothing.

They should teach economics in high school.

Old 12-28-2014, 09:38 AM

Quote:
How silly. Who do you think is currently getting that pot money that consumers are expected to spend? I'll tell you: restaurant workers, bar personnel, amusement employees. So, when pot workers are hired, restaurant servers will lose their jobs. Unless, of course, you are proposing that the government pay for the pot and then it will be government workers who will lose their jobs. Or, maybe the pot will be purchased with the rent money or the grocery money or the car payment. Then other bad things will happen. Or, maybe pot smokers have a lot of extra cash sitting around that is just sitting in savings accounts doing nothing.

They should teach economics in high school.
How silly. That makes no sense at all. Those employees will not lose their jobs at all. It's a building, and they need employees. Your logic is just inductive jargon, and I have taken economics. No offense, but it's likely I have a higher education than you do. I'm working on a doctorate degree right now, and I know for a fact what you are saying is wrong. Look at some statistics in Colorado.

Old 12-28-2014, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lewimaech235 View Post
How silly. That makes no sense at all. Those employees will not lose their jobs at all. It's a building, and they need employees. Your logic is just inductive jargon, and I have taken economics. No offense, but it's likely I have a higher education than you do. I'm working on a doctorate degree right now, and I know for a fact what you are saying is wrong. Look at some statistics in Colorado.
See above. People moved to Colorado to stay high. No one is moving to Ohio to stay high.

And, I can safely assume that your doctorate will not be in economics. I have undergraduate degrees in both accounting and economics.

Old 12-28-2014, 10:08 AM

Quote:
See above. People moved to Colorado to stay high. No one is moving to Ohio to stay high.

And, I can safely assume that your doctorate will not be in economics. I have undergraduate degrees in both accounting and economics.
It doesn't. Either way, what you're saying doesn't really make that much sense. I don't think anyone gets what you're saying by "People moved to Colorado to stay high." It doesn't compute with no jobs. What are you trying to say? Right now, my logic stands.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio