Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2015, 07:21 PM

1,140 posts, read 1,406,060 times

Advertisements

Kroger, Jo-Ann Fabrics, Big Lots, Drug Emporium, and Phar-Mor are five that come to mind right away. The state is so small! I must say as a non-Ohioan that I am impressed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2015, 07:52 PM

15 posts, read 14,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motownewave View Post
Kroger, Jo-Ann Fabrics, Big Lots, Drug Emporium, and Phar-Mor are five that come to mind right away. The state is so small! I must say as a non-Ohioan that I am impressed.
You can also add Limited, Victoria's Secret, Abercrombie and Fitch, Macy's Inc. (Federated Department Stores), Sterling Jewelers, Lane Bryant, Value City, DSW, Big Lots to your list.

Then you have the list of deceased big time and semi-big time retailers: Gold Circle/Richway, Elder-Beerman, Kobacker Stores, Mercantile Stores ... I can't think of any others and I have no idea why Ohio is or was the Silicon Valley of retail.

Old 04-01-2015, 07:59 PM

P.S. Ohio is not a small state. We are still ranked 7th in population, and 34th in area. Roughly the same size as PA, Virginia, and Tennessee. A lot of states with the most land seem to have small populations too.

List of U.S. states and territories by area - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 04-01-2015, 09:11 PM

207 posts, read 339,062 times
What I find more impressive is the notable people who are from here (random ones that come to mind):

1st (or 2nd) in number of presidents
2nd in number of astronauts including Neil Armstrong and John Glenn
The Wright Brothers
Thomas Edison
John D. Rockefeller
Steven Spielberg
Tim Conway
Bob Hope
halle berry
General Custer
Charles Keatering
kid cudi

and many others

Infamous
Charles Manson
Jeffrey Dahmer

Old 04-01-2015, 11:44 PM

3,844 posts, read 9,285,962 times
OfficeMax and Sherwin Williams.

Old 04-01-2015, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by costello_musicman View Post
OfficeMax and Sherwin Williams.
Gray Drug and Revco too
Bond Clothes
Richman Brothers
Cook United (Cooks, Clarks, Uncle Bill's, Ontario, Rink's, Consolidated Sales Co.)
SCOA (Shoe Corporation of America; Gallenkamp Shoes)
American Freight
The Kitchen Collection, LLC
UDF
Speedway
Marathon
Sohio/BP
Lawson's
Bath and Body Works

Last edited by shld1440; 04-02-2015 at 12:24 AM..

Old 04-02-2015, 05:22 PM

Why does Kroger avoid the Northeastern states? They are the dominant grocer in much of both the Midwest and South, but are notably absent from Pennsylvania (but have attempted Pittsburgh once) even though they have a huge presence in Virginia. Also, aren't they missing from Florida despite being huge in Georgia?

Old 04-02-2015, 09:02 PM

3,513 posts, read 5,161,281 times
^the only reason I can think of why they wouldn't be in Florida is because of publix. They are steep competition to overcome.

As for the northeast I don't know.

Old 04-03-2015, 01:29 AM

908 posts, read 1,418,782 times
Kroger does not avoid any part of the US, they just choose in some areas to go by the name of the regional chain they bought as opposed to calling themselves Kroger everywhere.

Old 04-03-2015, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dxdtdemon View Post
Kroger does not avoid any part of the US, they just choose in some areas to go by the name of the regional chain they bought as opposed to calling themselves Kroger everywhere.
I'm sorry but actually they do avoid Pennsylvania, with the exception of Turkey Hill convenience stores, which started as a joint venture with Esso (now Exxon). They have no supermarkets (their core business) in Pennsylvania. But yes they do have stores under many names, such as Baker's in Nebraska.

Big Lots and Jo-Ann Fabrics are uniquely similar (despite selling two very different types of merchandise) because both for many years operated stores under different names in different regions, but eventually settled on one name. Big Lots once was also known as Odd Lots, MacFrugal's, and Pic N Save. Jo-Ann was once also known as Cloth World, House of Fabrics, Sofro Fabrics, and Fabric King.

And Drug Emporium has a very similar story to that of Ben Franklin stores (not an Ohio company) despite that chain not being a drugstore chain. Both companies at one time had a combination of corporately owned and franchised stores, but each company went bankrupt and had to close the corporate stores, while keeping the franchises open. Bennigan's restaurants went through a similar process.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio