Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-06-2015, 08:10 PM

2,744 posts, read 4,235,557 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1watertiger View Post
Totally disagree. ANYBODY would be better than a liar and a corrupt , do-nothing, career politician. Washington is broken. The white house needs cleaned out of the Hillary and Busch types. I personally like what Trump is saying, and he is less likely to be bought or influenced by lobbyists.
Are you watching the debate? Like what he's saying now? Love it when Megyn Kelly questions him. He can't stand having a woman who is not under his thumb.

Our of these? Kasich sounds the most sane. Then Bush.

But I'll be voting for the Democrat - and I hope it's Bernie.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2015, 08:23 PM

11,610 posts, read 10,443,083 times
Default Kasich should take a swim in his scum

8 things to know about toxic algae before jumping into Lake Erie | cleveland.com

Kasich and the do-nothings in the Ohio legislature should be forced to swim in this scum, which is threatening Lake Erie's large western basin tourism industry and depriving many Ohioans of their best natural recreational asset.

If I were in the Ohio legislature, I would sponsor a law requiring any legislator who isn't part of the solution to this problem to be required to jump into Lake Erie for 15 minutes when the scum is at its peak, or to forfeit their seat. The legislation would never get to a floor vote, but it would prove a point. Most of our legislators and our governor are more interested in ag industry political contributions than in protecting Lake Erie.

How ridiculous is it that one of our major newspapers have to write an article like the one first linked above?

I really don't understand how anybody can support a politician that effectively has championed an environmental disaster such as this.

http://www2.nccos.noaa.gov/coast/lak...in_current.pdf

This algal bloom mess requires expensive testing, large capital expenditures and chemical treatments for those communities such as Toledo that depend on Lake Erie for its water supplies. Why should water bills go up for these communities because corporate factory livestock farms, to avoid the extra expense of dealing with this animal waste at its source, want the right to dump manure on farm fields knowing full well that it will wash into rivers and eventually Lake Erie. Is this fair?

http://www.toledoblade.com/local/201...vels-rise.html

While Lake Erie hopefully can be cleaned up once again by responsible politicians at a later date, I fear that Kasich and his supporters are building a ticking time bomb of pressurized radioactive wastes under a large portion of the state's potable water aquifers. I truly fear that in just a few short years, a large hunk of Ohio is in danger of becoming a 21st century Love Canal. By outlawing public hearings, Kasich and the Republicans have made it unlikely that we'll know what is happening with this massive fracking waste disposal operation until it's too late.

We should be petrified that this is not even allowed in the likes of PA and WV, given those states' record of environmental destruction. Instead, we're taking their fracking waste and injecting it under 2,000 plus psi pressures into Ohio's deep aquifers and hoping it never reaches our state's water supplies, let alone pollutes our rivers and surface water supplies.

Last edited by WRnative; 08-06-2015 at 08:40 PM..

Old 08-06-2015, 08:26 PM

2,365 posts, read 4,376,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JR_C View Post
Unfortunately, it's a 2 party system. So it's unlikely that there would be any better options.
If you did your homework on the candidates you would already know there's much better candidates then Hillary Clinton. on both sides.

Old 08-06-2015, 08:49 PM

2,194 posts, read 3,850,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRnative View Post
Drop in Ohio median income a troubling sign of a have-and-have-not economy: editorial | cleveland.com

Ohio's median family income, according to this report, is 20 percent below the national average.

What Kasich program will remedy this? JobsOhio has transferred over a billion dollars in revenues from the general fund to a secretive private entity staffed by highly-paid Kasich cronies, with its president now making over $300,000 annually (I wonder how much of that is contributed to Kasich political coffers, perhaps through a Super PAC with few or no disclosure requirements).

JobsOhio's extravagant payroll increases -- to itself: editorial | cleveland.com

Note in Figure 1 how much of the damage was inflicted by the great recession created by Republicans under George W. Bush, followed up in Ohio by Kasich policies that have punished the middle class and eroded work force skills. Even under Democratic Ohio governors, such as Ted Strickland, the Republican-controlled Ohio Senate has limited efforts to increase funding to improve Ohio workforce job skills.

https://www.americanprogressaction.o...-middle-class/

We don't know how much JobsOhio is paying for every job "created" nor the skill levels required of these new jobs, nor even if the jobs still exist. There have been reports of corporations funded by JobsOhio going bankrupt. We don't know the salaries paid in these new jobs, many of which seem to be low-paid warehouse distribution jobs.

Wouldn't Ohioans have benefited more from a low-overhead and transparent plan that offered existing and prospective employers trained, high-skill employees, perhaps paying for training for new employees, and requiring employees to reimburse Ohio if they didn't stay in the state on a sliding scale if they moved from Ohio?

Note also that Kasich has slashed in real dollars funding for education, especially higher education, imperiling the quality of Ohio's future work force.

I continue to reiterate that the Republican Toll Road created by Republicans in Ohio and Indiana, using future super tolls to fund road projects throughout Indiana and Ohio, will slowly but surely and foolishly will turn northern Ohio into a manufacturing wasteland, to the great detriment of the entire state. This is economics 101, folks.

Sadly, borrowing from the future, the funds raised by leveraging the Ohio Turnpike are being spent currently, but paid for in the future. A few years from now, how will the Republicans pay for continued and necessary infrastructure spending in Ohio, long after Kasich has left office?

Funds borrowed to fund both JobsOhio and the leveraging of the Ohio Turnpike likely resulted in massive underwriting fees (5-7 percent of the funds raised) to investment banks, also likely sources of Kasich campaign funds (pay to play). Why has no one quantified the cost of these investment fees and identified the recipients.

Is it any surprise that Ohioans are miserable?

//www.city-data.com/forum/ohio/...s-include.html

Note that this study doesn't even consider after-tax income of Ohio middle income families, which surely also have suffered as the Republicans have shifted the tax burden to the sales tax and local real estate taxes, by slashing income taxes on the wealthy and by eliminating the estate tax (I actually supported eliminating the estate tax).

Trump is a member of the super rich who has personally benefited greatly by the lax immigration laws and enforcement in the U.S. Low-paid workers in construction and hospitality industries have lined Trump's pockets. Like most Republicans, he wants to control immigration at the southern border, but do nothing about birthright citizenship or workplace enforcement, thereby allowing the super-rich to continue to reap the benefits of low-paid workers in the U.S. Where is the Republican immigration reform law despite years of control of Congress? Where???

He also wants to borrow to continue to increase the U.S. role of being the world's policeman, if not to increase funding for that role.

Trump won't be controlled by the lobbyists, because he buys lobbyists and is their task master.

Yeah, right, let's replace political cronies whose family wealth was achieved in the political game with an admittedly predatory capitalist with little interest in actual deed in the average American family.

I'll repeat that I'm not a fan of Democrats, but those who laud greed-centered and hypocritical and disingenuous Republicans also sicken me.

We don't need a Clinton, Bush, or Trump in the White House IMO.

Before I respond to your comment, how about a link to the "Census Ohio" information that you claim shows Ohio average household income around 95-98% of the national average?

That would be contradictory to Figure 1 and the other data reported in the analysis that I linked in post 194. However, in post 194, I said that median household income was 20 percent below the national average. I'm not certain how I miscalculated, but the latest 2013 number in the report showed Ohio median household income at 89.33 percent of the national average, or almost 11 percent lower, not 20 percent lower.

Again, that report claims:

<<While the recession caused household incomes to drop across the United States, the decline in Ohio was especially pronounced. Median household income in Ohio roughly kept pace with the U.S. average until about 2007, when the state diverged from the country-wide average in the fallout from the Great Recession. In 2013, the median household income in Ohio was $46,398, while the average for the United States was $51,939.>>

https://www.americanprogressaction.o...-middle-class/

The caption in Figure 1 of the report explicitly shows the source of the data as "Bureau of the Census, Table H-8. Median Household Income by State: 1984 to 2013," and provides a link to the table.

If you look at Figure 1 closely, you'll see that the gap between Ohio and national median household incomes continued to widen during the Kasich administration, despite the recovery in the national manufacturing economy which should have benefited Ohio materially in such a comparison.

This was despite Kasich borrowing heavily from the future with the leveraging of the Ohio Turnpike and JobsOhio. Spending future revenues today should have bolstered the Ohio economy and median household incomes. Of course, if 7 percent of the funds raised went to out-of-state investment bankers, and JobsOhio money is being wasted, while teacher and professor salary increases are lagging behind the national averages (just guessing), you can begin to explain how Ohio didn't benefit in average median income despite the recovery of the national manufacturing economy, and despite the heralded shale boom in Ohio.

If the shale boom provided such excellent jobs, it makes the performance of Ohio in median household income even more disturbing.

8 things to know about toxic algae before jumping into Lake Erie | cleveland.com

Kasich and the do-nothings in the Ohio legislature should be forced to swim in this scum, which is threatening Lake Erie's large western basin tourism industry and depriving many Ohioans of their best natural recreational asset.

If I were in the Ohio legislature, I would sponsor a law requiring any legislator who isn't part of the solution to this problem to be required to jump into Lake Erie for 15 minutes when the scum is at its peak, or to forfeit their seat. The legislation would never get to a floor vote, but it would prove a point. Most of our legislators and our governor are more interested in ag industry political contributions than in protecting Lake Erie.

How ridiculous is it that one of our major newspapers have to write an article like the one first linked above?

I really don't understand how anybody can support a politician that effectively has championed an environmental disaster such as this.

http://www2.nccos.noaa.gov/coast/lak...in_current.pdf

This algal bloom mess requires expensive testing, large capital expenditures and chemical treatments for those communities such as Toledo that depend on Lake Erie for its water supplies. Why should water bills go up for these communities because corporate factory livestock farms, to avoid the extra expense of dealing with this animal waste at its source, want the right to dump manure on farm fields knowing full well that it will wash into rivers and eventually Lake Erie. Is this fair?

Toledo curtails testing as microcystin levels rise - Toledo Blade

While Lake Erie hopefully can be cleaned up once again by responsible politicians at a later date, I fear that Kasich and his supporters are building a ticking time bomb of pressurized radioactive wastes under a large portion of the state's potable water aquifers. I truly fear that in just a few short years, a large hunk of Ohio is in danger of becoming a 21st century Love Canal. By outlawing public hearings, Kasich and the Republicans have made it unlikely that we'll know what is happening with this massive fracking waste disposal operation until it's too late.

We should be petrified that this is not even allowed in the likes of PA and WV, given those states' record of environmental destruction. Instead, we're taking their fracking waste and injecting it under 2,000 plus psi pressures into Ohio's deep aquifers and hoping it never reaches our state's water supplies, let alone pollutes our rivers and surface water supplies.
Man, am I glad that you only have one vote.

Unless you have six.

Old 08-06-2015, 08:54 PM

5,510 posts, read 9,496,310 times
Quote:
If you did your homework on the candidates you would already know there's much better candidates then Hillary Clinton. on both sides.
"Did my homework?"

I'm not a political junky, but I already know there are better candidates than Hillary Clinton. (I'm also a fan of Bernie Sanders) But, ultimately, it will come down to those who win the nomination to run for president, and even if Hillary is the Dem nominee, it's unlikely that I'd prefer the Rep opponent.

Old 08-06-2015, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Totally disagree. ANYBODY would be better than a liar and a corrupt , do-nothing, career politician. Washington is broken. The white house needs cleaned out of the Hillary and Busch types. I personally like what Trump is saying, and he is less likely to be bought or influenced by lobbyists.
I thought of you tonight when Trump bragged about how he bought politicians, pointing to most of the other Republican candidates, who seemed sheepishly quiet about the charge.

Heck, Trump doesn't buy lobbyists, he buys the politicians directly in order to push his personal agenda and he's proud of it!

Of course, when he's president, he has just the type of personality that we can be confident will put the interests of the country above his own. Not.

Old 08-06-2015, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hensleya1 View Post
Man, am I glad that you only have one vote.

Unless you have six.
Just be glad that I don't have 100,000 votes.

I guess you don't care about borrowing from the future, trashing the northern Ohio manufacturing economy, secretive diversions of hundreds of millions of annual revenues to a secretive private entity, diminishing Ohio's middle class, or the polluting of Lake Erie.

Typical Kasich supporter.

Old 08-06-2015, 11:37 PM

16,345 posts, read 18,071,077 times
Quote:
Trump is a racist blowhard who inherited a bunch of money and still managed to file bankruptcy multiple times. Literally the only reason he's in the lead is that his racism and misogyny appeal to a lot of conservative Americans. It's a complete indictment of just how awful the GOP really is... and how many crazy, ignorant people there are in the US.

Old 08-06-2015, 11:42 PM

16,345 posts, read 18,071,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warren zee View Post
Are you watching the debate? Like what he's saying now? Love it when Megyn Kelly questions him. He can't stand having a woman who is not under his thumb.

Our of these? Kasich sounds the most sane. Then Bush.

But I'll be voting for the Democrat - and I hope it's Bernie.
Kasich was one of the best in the debates. Unfortunately, it's relative to the fact that pretty much every GOP candidate is batsh*t. If it had been a stage full of reasonable moderates, he wouldn't have looked good at all. Kasich is *far* too socially conservative for me and he's no more fiscally responsible than any of the other candidates, so I couldn't vote for him anyway.

Old 08-07-2015, 05:15 AM

2,365 posts, read 4,376,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRnative View Post
I thought of you tonight when Trump bragged about how he bought politicians, pointing to most of the other Republican candidates, who seemed sheepishly quiet about the charge.

Heck, Trump doesn't buy lobbyists, he buys the politicians directly in order to push his personal agenda and he's proud of it!

Of course, when he's president, he has just the type of personality that we can be confident will put the interests of the country above his own. Not.
Very disappointed with trumps performance. No real answers/ specifics to questions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio