Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-28-2015, 11:35 PM

16,345 posts, read 18,068,177 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR_C View Post
Well, it may not be as poorly made, but you're right that most Americans would be unwilling to pay for it.
There is a reason all those jobs went overseas in the first place, and it wasn't because Americans were saying, "Gee, I really want to keep those jobs here so I'm willing to pay a few extra dollars for everything I buy." Wal-Mart wouldn't have made it out of Arkansas if that were the case.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2015, 08:37 PM

1,830 posts, read 1,653,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muffy1 View Post
Would you vote for Governor Kasich as President?
Yes, as a registered Dem who has on occasion crossed over, I could vote for Kasich. He seems to me to be the most rational of all the R's. As he says himself, he has the best resume, and a great record. If it was Kasich v. Clinton I'd likely go with Kasich. Clinton v. someone else, I'll likely go with Clinton (reluctantly).

Old 06-01-2015, 01:50 PM

11,610 posts, read 10,443,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBMD View Post
I could vote for Kasich. He seems to me to be the most rational of all the R's. As he says himself, he has the best resume, and a great record.
Kasich has a great record of diverting state liquor revenues to his political supporters (JobsOhio), in such a way that nobody knows who are the specific beneficiaries of the cash flow, or at least how much corporations such as Procter & Gamble and Amazon are being paid to invest in Ohio. If Kasich were to run for President, Libertarians and others would rip him apart over this.

Kasich has a great record of diverting inflation-adjusted state support away from public schools and local government funds, causing cuts in services and/or higher real estate taxes.

Kasich has a great record of supporting polluters. E.g., ag interests causing toxic algae growth in Lake Erie, the fracking industry injecting radioactive materials and toxic chemicals into aquifers, all while squashing any local debate over the fracking injections. Don't you believe there should be local hearings before new injection wells are approved? Don't you believe we should know exactly what is being injected into these wells? Do you believe there is adequate monitoring? Do you think anybody interested in the environment would support Kasich?

Kasich has a great record of slashing taxes on the wealthy while increasing taxes on other Ohioans through an increase in the sales tax.

Kasich has a great record of burdening northern Ohioans and northern Ohioan manufacturers with increased tolls on the Ohio turnpike, while also encouraging truckers who will avoid the tolls to increase the wear-and-tear and congestion on competing east-west roads. As manufacturing migrates out of northern Ohio, which has supported much of the state during the 20th century, Ohio as a whole will become much poorer. He's borrowing from the future to fund road expenditures today, putting a hidden tax on northern Ohio rather than raise gasoline taxes on everyone. Meanwhile, infrastructure spending remains greatly inadequate across the state.

Kasich has a great record of opposing the Affordable Care Act, while, like other Republicans, offering no program to provide affordable healthcare to working Americans, or to restrain healthcare cost increases, or to lower the percentage of GDP spent on healthcare. The latter is wildly higher than in other countries and increasingly makes the U.S. less competitive internationally.

Kasich has a track record of gerrymandering the state to the great disadvantage of Democrats and suppressing political debate. Kasich refused to debate Fitzgerald and thereby avoided exposing his policies to scrutiny. He and other Republicans pushed the Libertarians off the ballot. If Kasich really believed in democracy and the will of the people, he would have supported redistricting reform such as has taken place in Iowa.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/news/pol...p7I/story.html

Kasich maintained state parks so poorly that Cuyahoga County Metroparks had to assume operation of Ohio's lakefront parks in Cuyahoga County. So now, a county with over 10 percent of the state's population has no state parks.

Great track record? NOT. Would knowledgeable Republicans want a candidate running on this track record? Doubtful.

This has become a stupid thread because it doesn't appear that Kasich has any intention of running for President. Perhaps, as his advisers researched his potential candidacy, Kasich has discovered that he's soiled his own political nest.

Last edited by WRnative; 06-01-2015 at 02:27 PM..

Old 06-01-2015, 05:10 PM

8,272 posts, read 8,657,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRnative View Post
Kasich has a great record of diverting state liquor revenues to his political supporters (JobsOhio), in such a way that nobody knows who are the specific beneficiaries of the cash flow, or at least how much corporations such as Procter & Gamble and Amazon are being paid to invest in Ohio. If Kasich were to run for President, Libertarians and others would rip him apart over this.

Kasich has a great record of diverting inflation-adjusted state support away from public schools and local government funds, causing cuts in services and/or higher real estate taxes.

Kasich has a great record of supporting polluters. E.g., ag interests causing toxic algae growth in Lake Erie, the fracking industry injecting radioactive materials and toxic chemicals into aquifers, all while squashing any local debate over the fracking injections. Don't you believe there should be local hearings before new injection wells are approved? Don't you believe we should know exactly what is being injected into these wells? Do you believe there is adequate monitoring? Do you think anybody interested in the environment would support Kasich?

Kasich has a great record of slashing taxes on the wealthy while increasing taxes on other Ohioans through an increase in the sales tax.

Kasich has a great record of burdening northern Ohioans and northern Ohioan manufacturers with increased tolls on the Ohio turnpike, while also encouraging truckers who will avoid the tolls to increase the wear-and-tear and congestion on competing east-west roads. As manufacturing migrates out of northern Ohio, which has supported much of the state during the 20th century, Ohio as a whole will become much poorer. He's borrowing from the future to fund road expenditures today, putting a hidden tax on northern Ohio rather than raise gasoline taxes on everyone. Meanwhile, infrastructure spending remains greatly inadequate across the state.

Kasich has a great record of opposing the Affordable Care Act, while, like other Republicans, offering no program to provide affordable healthcare to working Americans, or to restrain healthcare cost increases, or to lower the percentage of GDP spent on healthcare. The latter is wildly higher than in other countries and increasingly makes the U.S. less competitive internationally.

Kasich has a track record of gerrymandering the state to the great disadvantage of Democrats and suppressing political debate. Kasich refused to debate Fitzgerald and thereby avoided exposing his policies to scrutiny. He and other Republicans pushed the Libertarians off the ballot. If Kasich really believed in democracy and the will of the people, he would have supported redistricting reform such as has taken place in Iowa.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/news/pol...p7I/story.html

Kasich maintained state parks so poorly that Cuyahoga County Metroparks had to assume operation of Ohio's lakefront parks in Cuyahoga County. So now, a county with over 10 percent of the state's population has no state parks.

Great track record? NOT. Would knowledgeable Republicans want a candidate running on this track record? Doubtful.

This has become a stupid thread because it doesn't appear that Kasich has any intention of running for President. Perhaps, as his advisers researched his potential candidacy, Kasich has discovered that he's soiled his own political nest.
Sounds like he did what most governors of both parties have done in this economy. We could make a list like yours for every candidate of both parties.

Old 06-01-2015, 05:58 PM

4,537 posts, read 5,106,187 times
No. I don't vote for Republicans.

Old 06-01-2015, 06:40 PM

11,610 posts, read 10,443,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
Sounds like he did what most governors of both parties have done in this economy. We could make a list like yours for every candidate of both parties.
Please,

Name one Democratic candidate, or even one Republican Presidential candidate, who is hell bent on pumping radioactive waste under half of their home state.

It would be interesting to list those candidates who ever refused to debate a major general election opponent. There may be more than one in this election, but it would be fun to see the list. It is cowardly and not admirable in my opinion, as it perverts the democratic process. Do you disagree?

As Mitch Daniels isn't running, did any other governor ever commit to future toll increases for decades on just one of several interstate highways in his state to finance road projects throughout the state? Isn't that a prescription for reducing the impacted region to an economically uncompetitive and depressed area over the course of time?

Name a Democratic candidate that voted to slash taxes on the wealthy while raising the total tax burden on the less wealthy and indirectly cutting services for the less wealthy at the same time.

You've merely presented a grand equivocation:

Kasich is a politician.

All candidates are politicians.

So all candidates are like Kasich.

Do you seriously believe that? Do you think voters will believe that when Kasich's actions fall under the giant microscope of a Presidential election?

The New York Times and the Washington Post are very different animals than the Cleveland Plain Dealer and the Columbus Dispatch, who spent more time covering Fitzgerald's "car incident," whatever it was, than the impact of leveraging the Ohio Turnpike and slashing the local government fund, or even the logic of becoming the major fracking waste dumping ground.

I don't think the Plain Dealer has ever investigated the long-term impact on the northern Ohio economy of the combined toll burden caused by Republican actions in Indiana and Ohio of committing to an ever-increasing level of tolls on the I-76/I-80/I-90 corridor through their states. It's likely that this "Republican Toll Road" will become a metaphor for not only discriminating against one regional economy, but of borrowing from the future to pay for current expenses. Trucks already are paying over $75 in tolls to travel from Akron to Chicago, while the I-70/I-65 corridor remains free. The big winner of this policy will be Pennsylvania and Pittsburgh, because the rest of Ohio will suffer mightily as northern Ohio is marginalized. How ironic as Kasich was born and raised in Greater Pittsburgh before enrolling at Ohio State.

It would be interesting to see if Kasich could get through even a primary election before being held accountable for his actions.

Maybe if Kasich somehow could face Hilary in a general election they could so mutually smear each other with their actions that a benumbed electorate would toss a coin.

However, just imagine the fun scenario that would result if Kasich became a serious contender and Bernie Sanders decided to tear into his hide to gain points in the Democratic Party.

Last edited by WRnative; 06-01-2015 at 07:10 PM..

Old 06-03-2015, 02:21 PM

1,066 posts, read 2,416,160 times
To answer the OP: No.

Old 06-05-2015, 08:00 AM

16,345 posts, read 18,068,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
What economy would that be?

Old 06-10-2015, 01:35 PM

1,111 posts, read 1,147,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBMD View Post
Yes, as a registered Dem who has on occasion crossed over, I could vote for Kasich. He seems to me to be the most rational of all the R's. As he says himself, he has the best resume, and a great record. If it was Kasich v. Clinton I'd likely go with Kasich. Clinton v. someone else, I'll likely go with Clinton (reluctantly).
Kasich is the only one of them who has ever balanced a budget. The rest of them? All talk. Kasich is all talk, too. But at least he did something.

Old 06-10-2015, 01:41 PM

1,111 posts, read 1,147,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRnative View Post
Kasich has a great record of diverting state liquor revenues to his political supporters (JobsOhio),
It seems to me that JobsOhio has been one of Kasich's success stories. Amazon might have put a distribution center here eventually, but to locate a data center here takes some special effort. Likewise when we were almost able to get the Sears headquarters. Yes, they are heading for bankruptcy, but I would take 10 years of tax revenue on all those corporate salaries.

They got Marathon to stay. Don't laugh - NCR and Chiquita and Electrolux and Ohio Mattress and Goodrich Aerospace didn't stay. The state is far better off with Marathon in Findlay than in Houston.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio