Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-29-2015, 12:37 PM

3,281 posts, read 6,279,618 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen_master View Post
I agree America can and should reduce military spending but I disagree with your rationale equivocating American security to that of other countries. All too often American defense is defense of these other countries. For example, America has bases in Germany and Japan (relic of the Cold War) allowing them to spend far less on defense than they otherwise might feel obligated to spend. Frankly I don't like being the world's police and wish we'd pull back our forces to the homeland which would theoretically permit reduced military expenditures.
Then we need to end this policy and I'm sure many Americans would likely agree in principle. Although the military-industrial lobby would begin producing ads that try to convince us that our participation in the defense of other countries is necessary for maintaining security of our homeland.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2015, 12:44 PM

3,281 posts, read 6,279,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PerryMason614 View Post
People are such crybabies these days. I grew up around a lot of prickly ethnic types and given that Kasich is of Croatian/Hungarian background I'm sure that's where he got it too. Big deal, so he snaps at people? He used to win his congressional seat with 70% of the vote so somebody must like him.
He represented an incredibly gerrymandered district that was created specifically so a Republican could win comfortably.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerryMason614 View Post
This guy keeps whining about the turnpike going into debt even though it's his party of spenders that has taken this nation $18 trillion into debt. He's just mad Democrats didn't think of it first and weren't able to spend the money before kasich was.
Debt rates increased significantly under St. Reagan and Bush the Lesser, particularly with the latter's Middle East adventurism.

As for the Turnpike, I don't blame Kasich; it's been a bad deal for northern Ohioans regardless of who's been in the Governor's Mansion.

Old 07-29-2015, 01:36 PM

11,610 posts, read 10,443,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clevelander17 View Post
He represented an incredibly gerrymandered district that was created specifically so a Republican could win comfortably.

Debt rates increased significantly under St. Reagan and Bush the Lesser, particularly with the latter's Middle East adventurism.

As for the Turnpike, I don't blame Kasich; it's been a bad deal for northern Ohioans regardless of who's been in the Governor's Mansion.
Tolls on the Ohio Turnpike have been a bad deal for northern Ohioans for decades, but Kasich and his fellow Republicans are turning it into torture by raising tolls in excess of the funds needed even to maintain the Turnpike.

Kasich borrowed from the future, with the increased tolls on the Turnpike used to finance the interest and principal repayments.

So why wouldn't you blame Kasich for this action?

If somebody starves their dog, do you think it's OK for a neighbor to kick it to death?

I don't understand all of the self-proclaimed fiscal conservatives on this thread who have no problem borrowing from the future, or punitively taxing the "guy behind the tree" as long as it's not them.

Old 08-01-2015, 08:42 AM

2,194 posts, read 3,851,361 times
Again, Kasich would have my vote. A number of reasons:

1) He pulled the state funding for the Cincinnati streetcar, saving over $50 million for the state on that boondoggle

2) He fast-tracked the widening of I-70 in Clark County, which was shelved until the 2030s otherwise.... despite being just a four mile stretch, it's the only remaining stretch of two-lane highway from there all the way to Columbus

3) Planned Parenthood was placed at the bottom of priority to receive state funds. Given their recent selling of baby parts, that sounds increasingly like a good thing

4) He turned an $8 billion deficit into a $2 billion surplus and managed to cut income taxes along the way. Gripe all you want about how he gutted the local government fund... he should have. If the residents wanted local services that badly, they voted for a local tax to pay for it. If not, their taxes dropped as they should have. It allows a greater choice when you relocate. Don't want to pay taxes? Live in a low-taxing jurisdiction that didn't pass levies. Prefer a higher level of services? OK, move there.

5) He killed the estate tax. It was a crime that people would have to visit the undertaker and the tax man on the same day.

Old 08-01-2015, 09:08 AM

1,111 posts, read 1,147,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hensleya1 View Post
Again, Kasich would have my vote. A number of reasons:

2) He fast-tracked the widening of I-70 in Clark County, which was shelved until the 2030s otherwise.... despite being just a four mile stretch, it's the only remaining stretch of two-lane highway from there all the way to Columbus
Even though I generally vote Republican, I liked Strickland. I met him once and he is genuinely a very nice man. Despite that, the prior administration had a train fetish and except in the eastern corridor, people have shown time and time again that they don't want trains.

I'm glad I-70 is being widened. If you ask me, they need to start widening in the other direction, too.

Old 08-01-2015, 07:24 PM

11,610 posts, read 10,443,083 times
Default Kasich is an environmental disaster

A picture is worth a thousand words, explaining why anybody that cares about the environment should be terrified of a Kasich Presidency.

http://eoimages.gsfc.nasa.gov/images...015209_lrg.jpg

NASA releases hi-res images of Lake Erie algal bloom

Kasich is directly responsible for this situation.

Kasich, after doing nothing about this problem for his first term, championed legislation which essentially enacted a loophole-infested "voluntary" program which has allowed factory farms that produce animal waste in amounts the equivalent of small cities to continue to spread this manure on fields. Essentially, especially in wet weather such as we've had this year, this manure basically is allowed to wash into streams, rivers and eventually Lake Erie. This year's record or near record toxic algal bloom demonstrates Kasich's abominably poor stewardship of Lake Erie.

http://www.noaanews.noaa.gov/stories...lake-erie.html

http://ohiosierraclub.org/2015/07/si...oom-forecasts/

Why should residents of northern Ohio have their most precious natural resource polluted by Kasich's ag industry supporters? Not only is this destroying the livelihood of many involved in the Lake Erie tourism industry, it is tarnishing the image of Ohio. It is doing immense harm to a multi-billion dollar tourism industry.

http://www.cleveland.com/travel/inde...ries_alga.html

http://www.toledonewsnow.com/story/2...es-algal-bloom

Why should Ohioans spend fortunes to build mammoth sewage treatment systems, even capturing the run-off of all but the largest storms, only to have all of that work negated by greedy factory farm owners and their political enablers like Kasich?

Why should communities that get their water from Lake Erie have to spend large amounts of money on chemicals and systems to treat this polluted water?

It's not enough for Kasich to pump radioactive waste under much of Ohio at high pressures, he also champions corporations who knowingly have polluted the Maumee River basin and Lake Erie.

I still believe that there are so many smoking disasters in Kasich's administration that knowledgeable Republican king-makers, privy to opposition research by his primary opponents, won't want anything to do with him as a Presidential candidate.

Last edited by WRnative; 08-01-2015 at 08:10 PM..

Old 08-04-2015, 11:05 AM

688 posts, read 1,117,929 times
According to latest news reports, Kasich is polling about 4% which would place him above the cutoff for the ten-candidate debate on Thursday night.

Old 08-04-2015, 06:19 PM

2,365 posts, read 4,376,944 times
He made the the top 10

Old 08-06-2015, 01:24 AM

24,125 posts, read 32,491,384 times
No.

Old 08-06-2015, 01:33 AM

24,125 posts, read 32,491,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRnative View Post
A picture is worth a thousand words, explaining why anybody that cares about the environment should be terrified of a Kasich Presidency.

http://eoimages.gsfc.nasa.gov/images...015209_lrg.jpg

NASA releases hi-res images of Lake Erie algal bloom

Kasich is directly responsible for this situation.

Kasich, after doing nothing about this problem for his first term, championed legislation which essentially enacted a loophole-infested "voluntary" program which has allowed factory farms that produce animal waste in amounts the equivalent of small cities to continue to spread this manure on fields. Essentially, especially in wet weather such as we've had this year, this manure basically is allowed to wash into streams, rivers and eventually Lake Erie. This year's record or near record toxic algal bloom demonstrates Kasich's abominably poor stewardship of Lake Erie.

NOAA, partners predict severe harmful algal bloom for Lake Erie.

Sierra Club – Ohio Chapter - SIERRA CLUB STATEMENT ON LAKE ERIE ALGAE BLOOM FORECAST

Why should residents of northern Ohio have their most precious natural resource polluted by Kasich's ag industry supporters? Not only is this destroying the livelihood of many involved in the Lake Erie tourism industry, it is tarnishing the image of Ohio. It is doing immense harm to a multi-billion dollar tourism industry.

How long until Lake Erie's algae problems affect tourism? We may find out this summer (photos) | cleveland.com

Tourism and economy issues due to Lake Erie

Why should Ohioans spend fortunes to build mammoth sewage treatment systems, even capturing the run-off of all but the largest storms, only to have all of that work negated by greedy factory farm owners and their political enablers like Kasich?

Why should communities that get their water from Lake Erie have to spend large amounts of money on chemicals and systems to treat this polluted water?

It's not enough for Kasich to pump radioactive waste under much of Ohio at high pressures, he also champions corporations who knowingly have polluted the Maumee River basin and Lake Erie.

I still believe that there are so many smoking disasters in Kasich's administration that knowledgeable Republican king-makers, privy to opposition research by his primary opponents, won't want anything to do with him as a Presidential candidate.
Owe you a rep - but you have illustrated why I would never vote for Kasich.

I care about the environment and about other issues such as education and quelling the tide towards charter schools and privatization.
Our minimum wage also needs to be raised.

My first choice is Bernie Sanders. After that, Hillary Clinton or what ever democrat obtains the nomination.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio