Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which City Would Be Better For Us?
Cleveland 32 58.18%
Cincinnati 23 41.82%
Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2016, 10:05 PM

3 posts, read 16,053 times

Advertisements

My family and I are considering a move from Connecticut to Ohio. I am undecided on either Cincinnati or Cleveland. I have two kids aged 6 and 8 so good schools are important to us. I need suggestions on suburbs of Cleveland and Cincinnati that have good schools and could fit into our $400K budget. I would like the city either Cleveland or Cincinnati to have fun things to do and good places to eat in the city. Which city would be better for us and what are some good suburbs of these cities?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2016, 02:06 AM

11,610 posts, read 10,443,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeyc777 View Post
My family and I are considering a move from Connecticut to Ohio. I am undecided on either Cincinnati or Cleveland. I have two kids aged 6 and 8 so good schools are important to us. I need suggestions on suburbs of Cleveland and Cincinnati that have good schools and could fit into our $400K budget. I would like the city either Cleveland or Cincinnati to have fun things to do and good places to eat in the city. Which city would be better for us and what are some good suburbs of these cities?
The key differential is likely your job prospects.

Read each city's forum for detailed answers to your questions regarding suburbs, etc. Both cities offer some excellent school systems, and $400 k housing budget should offer access to them. Do your research, then visit both cities so you can properly assess your priorities.

Here's just one oft-cited thread in the Cleveland forum, concentrating on eastern suburbs nearer Cleveland's spectacular University Circle. Western suburbs such as Rocky River and Westlake also would meet your criteria. Solon and Chagrin Falls, a little more distant from Cleveland, have among the best school systems in Ohio.

//www.city-data.com/forum/cleve...cleveland.html

Both cities offer fun things to do, including nearby excellent amusement parks (Cedar Point and Kings Island).

Cleveland does have an NBA team and more robust cultural offerings with a top tier art museum, one of the nation's better theater districts, and one of the world's best orchestras. Lake Erie is a great natural resource for recreation, and Cleveland has a significant summer boating culture and fresh water surf beaches. Cleveland gets more snow and offers winter sports in the metropolitan area including toboggans, sledding (Punderson State Park is the designated Ohio winter recreation state park with a lighted sled hill), robust cross country skiing, small downhill slopes, and tubing. Cuyahoga Valley National Park, Holden Arboretum and great metropark systems, concentrated on substantial river gorges with moderate waterfalls, highlight Cleveland's offerings for nature lovers.

Cincinnati offers easy access to the great aviation history attractions in Dayton, including the spectacular National Museum of the U.S. Air Force. Cincinnati has very good cultural offerings relative to many cities. With the Univ. of Cincinnati, Cincinnati offers better university sports than Cleveland (Ohio State in Columbus is the focus of Cleveland university sports, attracting the lion's share of the metropolitan area's very best high school athletes). If you have an aversion to snow, Cincinnati likely is a better bet, even though Greater Cleveland handles snow events very well and, with global warming, they are becoming less frequent on average.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Travel-g...The.World.html

To some degree, Greater Cleveland might seem more familiar to Connecticut as it originally was part of the Connecticut Western Reserve and New England influences are obvious in aspects of the culture such as many, significant town squares. Among the most charming are those in Chardon and Medina, but Cleveland itself has a highly engineered and developed 6-acre town square -- Public Square. Case Western Reserve is the highest ranked university in Ohio.

http://www.cleveland.com/architectur...ames_corn.html

Last edited by WRnative; 10-12-2016 at 02:19 AM..

Old 10-12-2016, 09:28 AM

811 posts, read 889,584 times
It all depends on specifically what you are looking for. Cleveland and Cincinnati are two very different cities, but their suburbs will be very comparable.

I cannot give too much info on schools in Cincinnati as i have never lived in the city. Clevelands suburban schools are pretty good. Each city/town/township has ots own school district typically versus a county wide district seen in some states.

Weather wise, Cleveland will be much more cold and snowy than Cincinnati, but this may not be a bad thing if you enjoy snow. The snowbelt east of Cleveland gets a lot more snow than the actual city of Cleveland and its inner ring suburbs. Summers are mild, not overly hot or humid. Cincinnati is VERY humid and hot during summer, but pleasant in Fall and Spring. Winters are cool there with some snow but nothing crazy.

I always found Cleveland to be more exciting with a lot more to do than Cincinnati, but each person has their own opinion on that. I loved going to Lake Erie Monsters Hockey games and Cleveland Cavs NBA games. Tons of fun. Not to mention, you still have the Browns and Indians so if you enjoy sports, Cleveland wins that category. Cleveland Metroparks are also very renowned and offer a lot of recreational opportunities. I dont know what Cinci's metroparks are like.

Cincinnati is more centrally located to other cities such as Indianapolis, Louisville, Nashville, and St. Louis. Cleveland can sometimes feel isolated in this regards.

Cleveland is also the only city i have every consistently gone to theater productions. Playhouse Square is no joke and the city is very privileged to have it. It attracts many national production companies and it is aot of fun to hang out under the chandelier, walk around the theaters and see a show. I have never been to the Orchestra, but heard good things when i lived there.

I think Cleveland is a great city to raise a family but there are a lot of factors to consider.

Old 10-12-2016, 09:41 PM

279 posts, read 592,171 times
Depending on what you are looking for consider Columbus as well. I'm not sure why you are limiting yourself to just Cleveland and Cincinnati.

Columbus is within three hours if Cincinnati, Cleveland, Dayton, Pittsburgh, Louisville, Charleston (WV) and Indianapolis. Slightly Further in the 4-6 hour range is Knoxville, Nashville, Buffalo, and Chicago. Columbus is a very good central location, great suburbs, The Ohio a state University is there, along with numberous other colleges in the area. There is great culture in the city, and some good urban renewal is on-going.

From Columbus are a very short drive to all of the state parks, such as the Hocking Hills famous Old Man's Cave and world class walleye fishing out of Port Clinton, Ohio. (Walleye capital of the world.). That also puts you an easy distance from enjoying the surrounding cities professional sports, if you aren't happy with Columbus' selection of AAA ball and NHL hockey... and OSU college sports of course.

The short north has all sorts of events, as does each suburb. You can easily live in any Columbus suburbs on your $400k house budget. I would look at Gahanna and Upper Arlington, as well as Johnstown and New Albany. I am sure others would steer you towards Southern Delaware County, Powell, Worthington, Hillard and Dublin. I just don't much care for any of them or their traffic issues though.

In Cleveland look at Mayfield, or for the best school Solon.

In Cincinnati, I'd look at Lebanon, that way you are about equal distance from Dayton and Cincinnati both.

Sorry for typos, posting from my phone tonight.

Last edited by HPY1; 10-12-2016 at 09:51 PM..

Old 10-13-2016, 03:53 AM

3,530 posts, read 5,025,105 times
^ You're off topic. Unless the OP deems it otherwise, it was clear what two cities he was interested in. Introducing Cbus now constitutes hijacking the thread.

Old 10-13-2016, 04:37 AM

3,530 posts, read 5,025,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRnative View Post
The key differential is likely your job prospects.

Read each city's forum for detailed answers to your questions regarding suburbs, etc. Both cities offer some excellent school systems, and $400 k housing budget should offer access to them. Do your research, then visit both cities so you can properly assess your priorities.
Agreed. In choosing between Cincinnati and Cleveland, job related concerns will undoubtedly will be a crucial factor in choosing between the two cities.

Speaking for Cincinnati, while it's easy to extol its formidable assets and amenities, it would be helpful if the OP describe his family's job situation and expectations and that he scan recent Cincinnati forum threads, wherein many such questions concerning fun, restaurants and culture have been favorably addressed.

Old 10-13-2016, 05:45 AM

24,125 posts, read 32,484,271 times
The Cleveland Area, and North East Ohio, are much more like New England, aesthetically and historically, that Cincinnati.

This part of Ohio was settled as the Connecticut Western Reserve, and the "New England / North Eastern vibe is still very much alive. The North Coast of Lake Erie makes the Long Island Sound look like a pond. Nautical culture is alive and well here.

We moved to North Eastern Ohio from Long Island's North Shore, which has quite a bit in common with New England. Our Autumns are quite beautiful. Education is valued. And there are many well regarded colleges and universities in the area.

I grew up in Oyster Bay, went to college in Massachusetts, and last lived in Stony Brook NY, near Port Jefferson and the ferry. I experienced very little in the way of culture shock when we moved here.

Please don't hesitate to send me a direct message if you have further questions.

Old 10-13-2016, 01:07 PM

869 posts, read 1,278,714 times
Cleveland used to be part of Connecticut...known as the Western Reserve.

Many of Cleveland's suburbs have New England-style main squares and overtones...including Cleveland itself.

For example, google Medina and Chargin Falls. Also Shaker Square / Shaker Heights.

Old 10-13-2016, 10:57 PM

279 posts, read 592,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorman View Post
^ You're off topic. Unless the OP deems it otherwise, it was clear what two cities he was interested in. Introducing Cbus now constitutes hijacking the thread.
Yeah yeah yeah.... I gave an opinion. On more than one occasion in my life I have in considered two option until a third was presented that ended up being better. Please don't tell me that has never happened to you.

Furthermore, at the end, the last two sentences, I clearly gave guidance On a Cincinnati area and two Cleveland areas, just like the poster asked.

And again, so you don't accuse my of "hijacking" a thread, which clearly sounds illegal, hands down, Cleveland over Cincinnati.

😜

Old 10-17-2016, 11:34 PM

5,296 posts, read 5,243,321 times
Not a lot to go on in trying to answer what is better for your situation.

Since others have touched on the job situation, the big question I have is what do you consider fun activities? If you like theater and art museums, then Cleveland is the hands down better option. If you like big festivals, I think Cincinnati beats Cleveland in that. Weather will be key too...do you like colder and snowier winters? Then Cleveland as it will be colder and have more snow than CT. If you'd like a more mild winter w/ far less snow than CT, and can deal with hotter more humid summers then Cincy is the better option. Do you want the more progressive politics like in CT? Then definitely Cleveland is the better option as even many Cleveland suburbs are very liberal especially on the East side like Shaker Hts and Beachwood. Plus as has been mentioned, Cleveland and it's suburbs definitely has the more northeastern new England feel if you prefer that. Cincinnati would be a bigger culture shock in its' feel as it's more a mix of a southern and Midwestern city w/out any real eastern feel.

As for your price range, that will get you into most any of the either cities good suburbs for schools...so in that regards, the biggest question becomes besides good schools, what are you wanting in terms of your house (new or older, cookie cutter subdivisions or more of an old style neighborhood feel).

I've lived in both and truly like both cities for different reasons...both are on the comeback and even though Columbus city is bigger, both are by far the best cities OH has to offer. You can't go wrong with either choice so long as you can make it work with your job situation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio