Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2019, 12:10 PM

7,072 posts, read 9,621,687 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post

For some reason I was surprised that I-70 between Dayton and Columbus was still under construction. But I had forgotten Ohio likes to throw barrels up and let the road just sit there with no workers for months on end.
Don't drive on I-75 thru downtown Dayton. That section of freeway has been under construction for years. Malfunction junction.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2019, 01:38 PM

1,887 posts, read 1,444,534 times
Quote:
There’s plenty of snow here. All over the mountains of course and everything east of the mountains. But even down in the valley we have gotten a foot of snow for Christmas. Just my Ohio-climatized self is happy in a t-shirt year round because temps below 25 are quite rare.

But in the end I’m just paying a lot less in taxes for better services, schools, etc. so much so that cost of living is actually cheaper here despite the pricier housing.
Please that's nothing. That snow will melt in no time out there, that ain't real snow lol . Where did you previously live in Ohio? What your experiences were like growing up in your town?

Old 12-03-2019, 05:45 PM

17,308 posts, read 12,255,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QCongress83216 View Post
Please that's nothing. That snow will melt in no time out there, that ain't real snow lol . Where did you previously live in Ohio? What your experiences were like growing up in your town?
Yeah snow in the valley is gone in a day or two. But the mountains are no joke. Plus a lot of people run studded tires in the winter here clicking down the road in order to get over those mountain passes...so despite not getting as cold I would expect the roads to be pretty rough but they are excellent because they keep on top of repairs.

Dayton, Cincinnati, Columbus was where I spent my time in Ohio. College at Wright State. Military brat so wasn't a native or anything but spent 10 years there and bought my first house in Huber Heights.

But yeah Ohio is probably the worst climate I've encountered of all the places I've lived. So cold in the winter it hurts your face with no good place to ski and so hot and muggy in the summer without a beach.

Much more mild out here though I can go visit snow on demand any time of year(nice escape on a hot day) and no mosquitoes or other pests to speak of.

Old 12-03-2019, 10:50 PM

1,887 posts, read 1,444,534 times
Quote:
Yeah snow in the valley is gone in a day or two. But the mountains are no joke. Plus a lot of people run studded tires in the winter here clicking down the road in order to get over those mountain passes...so despite not getting as cold I would expect the roads to be pretty rough but they are excellent because they keep on top of repairs.

Dayton, Cincinnati, Columbus was where I spent my time in Ohio. College at Wright State. Military brat so wasn't a native or anything but spent 10 years there and bought my first house in Huber Heights.

But yeah Ohio is probably the worst climate I've encountered of all the places I've lived. So cold in the winter it hurts your face with no good place to ski and so hot and muggy in the summer without a beach.

Much more mild out here though I can go visit snow on demand any time of year(nice escape on a hot day) and no mosquitoes or other pests to speak of.
Another reason why the roads out in your beloved PNW don't have those problems because they don't have to salt the roads like Ohio does. Salt eats up the roads which cause pot holes. Also, Ohio has beaches they're just in the upper parts of Ohio.

Old 12-04-2019, 07:41 AM

Quote:

There are many beaches along Lake Erie.

Old 12-04-2019, 08:09 AM

6,601 posts, read 8,984,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ram2 View Post
I've found that a lot of people don't venture out to see the entire state. I know that growing up in Northwest Ohio I really had no idea that not all of Ohio was flat. My family just never went far enough south or east to get into the hills.

Heck, for that matter I still haven't been to Cincinnati.

Old 12-04-2019, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram2 View Post
Yeah I suppose though a 6hr round trip up there to a lake with regular sewer overflows and algal blooms...

Wasn’t any better on the Toronto side when we went up there and the beach was closed due to water quality.

Old 12-04-2019, 09:59 AM

11,610 posts, read 10,443,083 times
Quote:
Yeah I suppose though a 6hr round trip up there to a lake with regular sewer overflows and algal blooms...
There are NOT regular sewer overflows in Greater Cleveland, where billions have and are being spent to capture all but 100-year rain events. There are currently isolated events because construction is not yet completed.

Algal blooms largely result from the significant expansion of corporate livestock operations in the Maumee River Valley unleashed on northern Ohioans by the Republican Party, both in Ohio and in the Trump administration. These toxic algal blooms rarely reach Greater Cleveland, but this may change in coming years if no changes are made.

Seattle lives with the risk of major earthquakes and even volcanic eruptions.

More certain is sea level rise, which, very unfortunately will negatively impact Seattle and Washington in coming decades. Despite the presence of Gov. Jay Inslee, a great proponent of reducing fossil fuel consumption, are Washington residents aware that sea level rise may be (likely will be) measured in feet by 2050 and tens of feet by 2100???

Old 12-04-2019, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRnative View Post
There are NOT regular sewer overflows in Greater Cleveland, where billions have and are being spent to capture all but 100-year rain events. There are currently isolated events because construction is not yet completed.

Algal blooms largely result from the significant expansion of corporate livestock operations in the Maumee River Valley unleashed on northern Ohioans by the Republican Party, both in Ohio and in the Trump administration. These toxic algal blooms rarely reach Greater Cleveland, but this may change in coming years if no changes are made.

Seattle lives with the risk of major earthquakes and even volcanic eruptions.

More certain is sea level rise, which, very unfortunately will negatively impact Seattle and Washington in coming decades. Despite the presence of Gov. Jay Inslee, a great proponent of reducing fossil fuel consumption, are Washington residents aware that sea level rise may be (likely will be) measured in feet by 2050 and tens of feet by 2100???
There's a 4,100ft coastal mountain range between me and the coast, 90 miles away. If sea level rise gets that bad most of the country would be underwater. Seattle is 3hrs north of me. And I will be lucky to see 2050. But that would shave a couple minutes off the drive to the beach?

Even the big cascadia subduction zone earthquake isn't supposed to do much here. Power largely comes from dams on the Columbia well to the east. Could lose some older bridges/buildings in Portland. Can see 3 beautiful volcanoes(Helens, Hood, Adams) from our house. But far enough away to be no real threat aside from some ash depending on which way the wind blows. When St. Helens blew prevailing winds carried most of it east, as far as Oklahoma. Funnily enough not far from our house in Huber there was a little subdivision that had streets named after the mountains. A more regular negative out here is the forest fire smoke. Had a couple bad years where we got ash(looked like a light snow in middle of summer) from a wildfire in Oregon started by some kid with fireworks and smoke from bad California/British Columbia fires settling in. Real impact of that? Changing the a/c filter a little early.

Severe thunderstorms/tornadoes/hail/etc in Ohio were a regular threat. We lost a tree that hit our house back when the remnants of Hurricane Ike came through. Lost power for a week. Because apparently hurricanes are a threat to Ohio too.

Last edited by notnamed; 12-04-2019 at 11:37 AM..

Old 12-05-2019, 06:43 AM

Quote:

Wasn’t any better on the Toronto side when we went up there and the beach was closed due to water quality.
Then go to one of the beaches at the inland lakes. East Fork State Park by Cincinnati has a beach.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio